Try grasshoppers next time

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by osageCo_flathead, Aug 19, 2006.

1. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We went fishing at a set a falls trying to catch some channels with liver and bass with grasshoppers. We were using a small splitshot and allowing the current to take the bait down to a certain point. Nothing was hitting the liver so I decided to go after the bass with some grasshoppers. We absolutely tore the channels up on the grasshoppers. Every caste at least got a hit. I knew they would hit them because I have caught cats on them b4...but they were killing em today. I know if you gather some up now, throw them in a ziplock bag and break them out during your winter/early spring cat fishing trip you'll be surprised at how well they work.

We go to a local creek which is narrow but fairly deep and catch a good amount of nice fish...especially ba$$. I drop the grasshopper down onto the water without a weight and almost use it like a top water lure....it works great if you can keep the perch away.

An old man told me today to grind them up in my dough bait and I wont be disappointed...I'm about to find out

Anyway its great fun and a FREE bait that fish cant resist....go out and catch some fish brothers...............Billy

2. BigGreen

BigGreen New Member

State:
    IL
    I tried grasshoppers once with no results, but i didn't try them w/no wieght. I just threw em on the hook and sunk em. i will try w/out wieghts and see what happens.

Let me know if they are any good in dough/dip bait.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Reps for ya,thanks for the tip!--------------pk powell:big_smile:

4. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    Crickets really work well sometimes as well as grasshoppers. They outfished worms and cut bream for me today.

5. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I used to use grasshoppers quite a bit on summer evenings when I was a little squirt, for them cats. And yeah, they did like 'em pretty good.

-Red