Try again or not

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KATTERMAN, Sep 18, 2007.

1. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    dear gents i found a place that is about 10' deep hole with big boulders in it about the size of a washer & dryer then it goes in to a 15' hole which is a good hole for the river i fish then it goes into a flat about 3 to 6' deep for 1/2 mile or so current is running from deep to shollow flat my question is i tried it the other night for 4 hrs without a hit i was fishing in 10' water around boulders thinking it would be a good place for a flat to lay and abush bait oh and above the 10' hole with boulders in is real shollow strong current running
    over a rock shelf then drops of straight up dn into the 10' hole with the boulders how many time would go to a spot like that without getting a hit that u would try somewhere else.any help i would be thankful because i am new to this flathead fishing

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    maybe try just above the hole. experience i have is flatties don't really like the real fast running water. may lay down around boulders to rest, but come to start of drop to feed. JMO
    gary

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Sounds like the river i used to fish in IN....shallow, compared to others. I agree, try placing some baits above the hole, no matter how shallow. Flatheads will move into these shallow areas at night. Can you anchor in a position where you can place baits in shallow and "deep"? Can you fish the breaks where current meets slack? I would for sure fish this hole again.

4. noodlin Will

noodlin Will New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I would probable try setting some baits just down stream from the boulder in that 3 to 6 foot deep area at night. Sounds like if that boulder has a hole under it a flathead would be holding there during the day and heading to a good feeding area at night. They just might not have been biting during the four hours you were fishing. definitely keep after them at that spot.

5. noodlin Will

noodlin Will New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    also you being new to flatheads make sure you are using the right bait. Not sure of your location but if you are fishing in some of the smaller rivers here in OK like north or south canadian or washita the fish will mostly feed on what is native like perch or carp. I even cleaned about a 6# fish one time that had a water snake in its stomach that was as long as the fish.:eek:oooh:

6. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    I GUESS I WILL GIVE IT ANOTHER TRY I FISHED IN THE DROP OFF BY BOULDERS THINK I WILL MOVE TO SHOLLOW,I BEEN USING PERCH I TRIED
    ONE THOSE GREEN CARP THE OTHER NIGHT I WAS AMAZED HOW TOUGH IT WAS WITH PERCH I HAVE TO REBAIT ABOUT EVERY TWO HRS THE BASS WAS STILL ALIVE AFTER FOUR HRS OF FISHING.GOT TO GET ME SOME SNAKE GATORS BEFORE I GO AGAIN JUST ABOUT STEP ON 4' RATTLER THE OTHER EVENING HE COULD HAVE RUIN A NIGHTOF FISHING AND THEY ARE STARTING TO MOVE AROUND I AM FISHING WASHITA RIVER IN OKLA,THANKS FOR THE
    INFO GUYS