Truturn hooks V.S Circle hooks V.S. J-Style hooks : The best catfishing hook is?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by tncatfishing, Dec 15, 2005.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I see people posting about circle hooks, but what about tru turn hooks? What does everyone think of them? I have been using them along with j hooks and circlehooks. As of now I still prefer the tru turns, but I am starting to use more circle hooks.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    IN MY HUMBLE OPINION!!!!!!!! THE BEST CATFISH HOOK OF ALL TIME IS!!!!!!! NOPE I AIN"T GONNA TELL YOU ,SO THERE. :confused: :confused: I will however guide you to the BOC library and the fishing tackle area in which you can have access to all the wisdom contained by everybody that ever posted anything about hooks. :) How is that for an answer. :0a26:

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well it is an answer , but I'm looking for more recent answers, cause more and more companies are making circle hooks. And not to mention that the site has alot of new members that may have a little more insight into things then posts from the past. Oh and everbody knows the best hook is the one that catches the most fish. :rock-big: :thumbsup:

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I myself have tried many hooks over the last year, circles, J hooks, octopus hooks. The best one that fits me is the Gamakatsu 7/0 octopus hook. It is extremely strong and the sharpest hook I have ever seen. I tried circles but I have been setting the hook my whole life so I cant break the habit. They are a little expensive at 2.99 for 6 hooks but worth every penny to me. Hope this helps.. :)

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    In the years i have fished, I have used about every kind of hook made. I have settled on Kahle hooks.They fit the way i fish. As far as the best it mostly what you like they all will catch fish.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well, I mostly use 10/0-13/0, J-hooks, but every hook has it's use. Just like most other gear in fishing, it has it's own use. I dont really beleive there is a overall "Best" hook. But I think there is a "best" hook for a particular fishing situation. That's only my opinion though.... :)

good luck :cool:

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    By now you have an idea of the type of replies your question will generate.You have asked one of the impossible "Best" questions.If you want more specifics then I would ask for a comparison of of specific hook type by brand. "What do you think of the L141 7/0 lazer sharp Kahle by Eagle Claw" will get you more specific replies by people that have actual experience with that hook.Not trying to discourage you but rather help you get what you want. :D

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Excuse me their jim but my original title was about tru turn hooks, and I believe a moderator changed it which is perfectly ok. But I did not ask which one is the best I asked if any one was using the truturn hooks and what they thought as my post says, not trying to start anything just clarifiynig, and noboby has commented on the tru turn hooks yet in this thread except for me. Jim do you use tru turn hooks? If you do what do you think of them?I stated that I prefer tru turn hooks which is the brand name. :D

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I used them a lot for worm fishing for bass etc and really liked them.When I turned away from the dark side and became a Jedi Knight (Catfisherman) :p I used Tru Turns to start with.I just found the Lazer Sharp Kahles by Eagle Claw in Nickel finish were the best hook for what I was trying to do.The TTs were to thin I thought for a really big fish and since I drift fish a lot and thread herring and white perch on to the hook and leader the TTs with their bend made that difficult.There have been people on here that use TTs but not to many as I recall.They are a very good hook and will catch fish no quetion about it. :0a26:

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have found that alot hooks from eagle claw bend fairly easy on me and even had some of their blood red hooks break. Have not had any of the tru turns break or bend yet and have pulle in some nice cats. Seen some realy nice and big circle hooks at bass pro, maybe more for ocean fishing but I am going to pick some up.

11. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    What I have learned about Tru Turn hooks.

One must understand they are "Cam Action" hooks first off,meaning they twist in the fish mouth when line it tightened. T.T. hooks will pull out if one trys to set them hard before feeling the fish. They are basically a J hook that rolls over to get a good hook set. I have used them for years and find they are just as bad as J hooks when it comes to gut hooking a fish.

Circle hooks being a self setting hook don't gut hook fish to often. I like circle hooks due to the fact they are easily removed from the fish mouth and rearly gut hook fish.

I still use all types of hooks depending on how the fish are hitting and where I'm fishing. Some places and times fish hit different then others,so I use what I feel is best at that given time & place.

As far as the "Best" hooks to use. That's a personal choice it's whatever you feel the most comfortable with.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have been using the tru turn hooks now for a couple years. I use the 4/0 or 5/0 for channels and thats as big as walmart carries. The majority of my fish were hooked in the corner of the mouth. Ive noticed I catch alot of bass on them too for some reason, also hooked in the corner or roof of their mouth. I like using them while bobber fishing and that seems to help with the hook setting. I dont seem to do as good with them bottom fishing.

I just recently picked up some Gamakatsu 8/0 circle hooks that I cant wait to try on the Ohio River. Or try on the bottom at my little pond.

13. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Lets see I have been using tru turn hooks for about four years, and have yet to gut hook a cat yet. I use all styles of hooks and have lost more fish on circle and j hooks. But I am using a bigger circle hook now. I have had many a time fishing off the catwalk at the steamplant casted back towards the plant. And see my line go slack, real in quick and have a cat, so they do hook up well and didn't have to set the hook. But like I said I use all kinds of hooks.

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use both j hooks and circles. circles have their place but i dont find them as effective as j hooks in certain situations. i only use circles when cut bait fishing when casting short distances. tried using when float fishing too, didnt work for me. below is a j hook i use when live bait fishing. its a mustad 33637b 5/0. i think their a worm hook. a buddy of mine tyrned me onto this hook a few years back. these hooks are super sharp and very strong even though they look wimpy. never had a fish bend one. eagle claw makes the same hook but their purple. some have this misconception about having to use large hooks for catfish, i have a much better hook rate when using thinner, sharper hooks. also the thinner the hook the easier it is to rip out of the bait when setting the hook,and the lighter weight lts the baitfish move around more.

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I myself dont like the tru-turn hooks i find that i miss way to many fish on them.My favorite hook is the kahle hook i find i get better hook up and catch more fish on them then any other.I do use circles as well depending on the bait i use,when i do use them you cant get any better then the octopus circle hook.Im considering trying the regular octopus hook to this year,mybe experament to see what i have the best luck with,but ill never stop using the kahle hook.

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I haven't bought a tru-turn hook in years. Reason: I don't Bass fish anymore!!! They were designed for use in artificial worms for a better hook set. Without the worm as a base to pull threw, they won't work properly.
    I use khales as a mainstay in my tackle box because, they are in my oppinion the best of both worlds. Khales can be set by you ,or the fish, either way he is yours.

17. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    OPINION:

Khales have the best design fer sinking the barb into the fish. Circles have there place. Whats worked best for the conditions Flathead Fishing for me is a turned 8/0 "J" hook for an all round hook. I don't let them cats run so no problem with gut hookin them. About 1/3 of all the Tabby Cats I've caught in the Ohio River in NE Ohio have been on cut bait and them playin with the bait. This means when I think they have the bait I set the hook as hard AND AS FAST as I can.

For live baits I like the turn in the hook to be stickin up AND OUT away from the live bait when the Shovel takes it head first!!!!!!!!!!

Also someone here answered the turned hook question before by sayin that turned hooks were illegal in salt water when they set long lines with lots of
    hooks because they work better on hookin fish.

So theres my opinion and we all know about opinions!

"Join in the pursuit"
    <><Baitkiller><>

18. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I was looking last night for some tackle and picked up some bigger tt hooks. Jim the thin ones you are talking about are not the ones I use the thin ones are more of bronze color. The thicker ones that are as thick as any other cat hook are a grey color they realy stand out and are thick.