Truth in fishing when river on rise or fall?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 23, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What are your opinions on this? Do you fish when river is going up or do you fish when it is going down or is there any difference? Thanks my wife and I are split on this and want to see other opinions. Thanks

2. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Best fishing is when the river is on a slow rise. Gets the fish a little fiesty! :wink:

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Some folks here feel that the best fishing in during a river falling situation.
    I'm wondering where is the best place to fish during that time?

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Good question. Back in 1993 when the floods hit, wife and I was in Washington Missouri. A local there was taking his jon boat out every morning and coming back in after about 45 minutes. Boat loaded with fish. He claims the fish just went wild on the back side of where the islands would normally be. Think he was running trot lines but none the less he had a boat load of fish and most of em big ones.

Now back to the question...don't know if the river was still on the rise or going down as it was all still flooded. It was the July 4th weekend if anyone can remember that far back.

5. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have way more luck here on the ohio river when it is coming up. seems to get them going since the river is putting more fresh soil and bugs and worms in the water.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    As a general rule a river on the rise is just about always better fishing. One exception we found to this is a river discharging into a lake and the lake is on a steady fall but in turn it creates a steady current from the backed up river running into the lake. In that case we have caught fish in the current while the river was falling. I'm sure there are other instances but that is one that we have picked up on.

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    My local river is definitely better on the rise. It is a very shallow river. You can walk across it most of the time with a lot of spots no more than a couple feet deep. When it is on the rise the fish come out of their holes to move down the river. When It starts going back down they all scramble for a hole to sit in until the next time it comes up.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the river i fish it doesent matter as long as theirs more water than normal and not out of its banks its better:wink:

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I have caught some of my best fish in classic rising water, low barometric pressure, wind from the south west conditions but also in conditions that were the total opposite.
    Our own D.H. posted a tremendous fish that was caught when conditions would have normally said don't even bother to go out.
    Same with the moon; I have had a professional guide tell me not to book a trip because the date fell on a full moon. I didn't have a choice of time off so I booked the trip anyway. We caught six flatheads that day, none under 20lbs and the biggest over 50.
    Given my choice I would fish on a easy rising river with a gentle breeze but if I waited for that I would hardly ever fish.
    I fish when I can, year round regardless of conditions. There is always a fish hungry somewhere...W

10. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    when it is on the way up thanks sam davis

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I've always have better luck on a rising water. Also seem to catch better fish also.

12. holeinthewall

holeinthewall New Member

State:
    mo
    good fishing here when it is going up

13. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I live just south of the Kansas line in Ok I watch the weather in Kans for rain fall to get an idea as to when to water will be on the rise. I have found that fishing is better when the river is on the rise.I watch the small feeder streams also those areas wash in alot of food and seem to draw the fish to them. Just MO
    Loop

14. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Always do better when river is coming up.

15. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    I can remember here in Iowa, July 4th weekend was when we got the biggest rain here. I think we got like 10-18 inches of rain in like a 4 hour span. Brought the rivers up more than 2 inches an hour. We too were fishing the over flows from the rivers during the flood of '93 and catching some nice cats. Well they were so far out of their banks then you didnt have much choice, you couldn't get near the river.

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I want the river STABLE! :big_smile: Rises are better for me than falls, but I'll fish both. Best luck for me is after the river and weather have been steady and stable for a couple of days. For me, a quick up and down completely changes the pattern. On a fall the fish usually bail back into deeper holes to see what's going on. I hate fishing the drop, but I will.

17. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I can even catch fish on the rise.

Jim

18. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've caught my most and biggest fish when it's on a slow rise.

19. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    We got 8-11" of rain day before yesterday. The lakes and rivers are on the rise. The rivers are out of their banks. Now vs a week ago, we have seen numerous cars parked in parking spots of fishing holes, off the river (you can't get near the rivers) back waters, and inlets to the rivers. Folks are hitting these holes like crazy. My dad went out this morning and fished one of these back holes just off the lake and caught a nice channel. Not a monster by any means but a nice pole catch. About 5lbs. Gonna try our holes tonight and see how it goes.

20. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Belinda, I have lived in Tipton and Cedar Rapids all my life and I watch at least two weather chanel every night and I've never heard of rains like you say. 10 -18 inches in four hours, 8-11 inches Thursday or Friday? Those monthly totals barely exceed those figures. You need a new rain guage maybe. Or maybe you are in Texas during the peak of the hurricane.