Truman Trotline

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by safetybass, Jul 16, 2006.

1. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had an interesting experience on Truman Firday night/Saturday. A buddy of mine and I ran two trotlines Friday night and Saturday. We used live goldfish, bluegill as bait. We had the lines in a cove where not only have we had success in the past, my buddy had success last weekend. You know what comes next: We got skunked. I have never gotten skunked on lines like that. But: by reading fellow BOC member's posts this morning, those lines will be moved to more productive (shallower) water soon.

2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    You will get them next time I bet!
    Keep at it!

3. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We had a very similar experience on Truman last weekend. Put out aline on Friday caught a couple of small ones, then Friday night and one on Sat. Nothing at all like I have done there in the past around this time of year. Like you I will be changing up next trip down.

4. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Larry when we use to set out lines we always set then in 3 to 5 ft of water ,Them flathead always go to the shallows at night to feed, we caught a 68 lb flathead in 3 ft of water one time,Me and a guy at work are going to sparrowfoot this saturday night and hit the flathead hard ,if your not doing anything you should come on down Larry we will be there around 5 or 6 pm

5. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Its 5 miles south of clinton ,have you heard from larry?

6. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Larry's here. Been working. Sparrowfoot is just south of Clinton on Highway 13, Wolfie. About 70 miles north of Springfield on highway 13. Good cat water around there Wolfie. I am going to run a line or two this weekend. I will spend the time out there. However, I think I have to be in Warensburg Sat night for closing night of a play my son's been working on. I have to check our tickets.

7. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    so are you coming up wolf?

8. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm clear for Saturday evening. Closing night is Friday Night at the play. So Wolfie, you coming up? You can meet me over toward Warsaw if you want. I plan on putting lines in during the morning Saturday, running them that evening and fishing. If you don't come up, I'll just bring the dog. Either way, I'll have fur and slobber everywhere. :tounge_out:

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    How deep is the water where you guys will be at up there. Never fished it but with all the timber it sure looks good. May come up and throw a few jugs out. Any blues up there or mostly flats? Hows the shad up there, or do we need to bring some?

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I Will Be Fishing In 5 To 3 Ft Of Water ,shads Usally Easy To Catch And We Caught A 29 Lb Blue 3 Weeks Ago With Alot Of 5 To 10 Lbers But I Am Strictly Flathead This Weekend Come On Up We Will Be There Around 3 Pm

11. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Robert, the back of that creek you're looking at was full of trotlines last time I went in there. Lot of 3 foot water with trees and laydowns all over the place. I am thinking of putting my lines in a little farther east, maybe 5 or 6 miles. you going to be there around 3 now? Must have seen the weather forecast! It will be a super nice day if the weather men don't screw it up.

Spoonfish, good jugging areas nearby, 2 to 3 miles. Good area where Grand River meets Deepwater Creek. Another area east of the old railroad bed. Channels around there are 20 - 30 feet, flats adjacent from 12 up to 3 feet. I haven't tried for shad up there recently, course I can't catch 'em to save my life anyway!

12. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Yep ,thick stuff in there but we will be still fishing ,and i have pulled to many big flats out of there this time of year not to fish it are you putting in at bucksaw? You have my number give me a call saturday night see whos catching fish

13. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Oh well. You just don't think I can catch anything. Sknkrvrpolcat is talking about coming down sometime Sat night or Sunday. Too bad you're going to be busy. I'm planning on catching some fish!:tounge_out:

14. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Thats not what i was saying ,it is just if you all where catching fish then we might boat up your way ,and if we where catching fish you could boat down our way ,but yea lol !!!!

15. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Well I'm at least glad to be reading about fishing. I'm in a hotel in Chicago with my son's Halo team. My internet connection went out a couple of weeks ago(lightning) and I have to fix it when I get home. Good luck with those lines Larry and I hope to "See ya on the water" soon.

16. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ron! A Halo team?!? Glad my son didn't hear about whatever is going on in Chicago. They a "clan"? Like to hear more about it sometime. Or should I say, I'd like to know something about it my son doesn't know!

17. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Larry I think Primitivefrn and I are going to try there tomorrow. He knows the area and I want to try where the grand meets and the rail road area. Any one else going tomorrow? Robert if your still out in the morning will see you there.

18. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Went with Jim (Primitivefrn) this morning to the Grand arm and fished around the RR crossing. Stoped by Sparrowfoot to see if you were there Robert. Didn't see your truck, you must have allready left. Did you fish all night?

We caught several cats but no big ones. Had a great time though and Jim showed me a lot of new area I hadn't fished, Thanks Jim for having me along!

Sorry Wolfman neither one of us fell in the water LOL... Maybe Robert did though? :0a20:

19. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry Wolfie, didn't fall in. Came close, thought about doing it on purpose, but stayed dry anyway. Spoonfish, Robert left around 7 or 8 am. I, along with Skunkrivapolcat (Zach), stayed out all night, then fished all day until about 5 pm. We were drifting just east of the old railroad bed this morning until about 11:30 AM. We spent the overnight about 9 miles east of Sparrowfoot. We were going to move elswhere, but that is when I discovered I had left the boat lights back in Warensburg.

Fishing Saturday night and early Sunday wasn't great. Just dinks. Zach managed to catch two of the littlest cats I've ever seen on a rod and reel. Trot line over night was a bust too. First thing this morning I moved it.

We picked up a few keepers on the drift over by the railroad bed. When we went back to check the line we took 6 keepers off, including one nice blue. Then we pulled out and went down to KK island. We made one long drift by KK. We picked up another half dozen, including another nice blue. We decided we had enough (and we were limited out on blues). Came home. Now I'm too tired to stay up. :beated:

20. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What foul hooked baby spoonie???? You been breathing your torch fumes again? I just weighed a bag of catfish filets, and it weighs 16 pounds. Too bad you didn't make it up here Jess. At least then I wouldn't have had to turn loose the 2 that were on the line Sunday night. The bite is turning on on Truman. Our biggest fish was 7#; Zach caught that one drifting by KK island. He has decided drift fishing is something worth doing. Thought he'd post up, but guess he's having a good time with wife and new baby.