Truman Tailrace

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by duckalot, Jun 11, 2007.

1. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have some scheduled time off this week and was going to make the drive to Warsaw. Looks like they are still running good water. Anyone there over the weekend? Are the Shad getting hard to find? Are the Blues still biting? Thanks for any Info.
    Rob

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Fished sat. morning and caught a nice channel, saw several others boating fish. Caught a couple 25# blues last week. Look up in the blue branch cove for shad. Been doing well on live and cut bluegills also.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was there last Tuesday. It was the first time that I had fished there, so I didn't know where to locate shad. I would occasionally see one flip, and managed to net 1 big one. Luckily, I brought a cooler full of live perch. I also didn't know for sure where to fish, so we moved around alot. Ended up catching 3 blues, 2 channels, 2 keeper sized walley, and 2 giant drum. Had alot of fun, and want to go back, but will probably wait 'till pre-spawn next year as it's quite a drive for me to get there. Good luck!

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    One area that is producing right now seems to be above the old swinging bridge and up to the main channel no boating zone markers. You will need a good anchor to hold but its not to bad now compared to what the release was when they first started dumping water. Another area is above the 65 bridge to the turn in the river below drake harbor, again anchor in this area.
    Drifting the flat directly across from drake harbor can be another good technigue. Good luck out there....

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Shad were reasonably easy to find in Drake Harbor last time I was there (about a week ago). Use your sonar to find them or you'll spend hours throwing blindly with nothing to show for it... Try looking near the mouth of the harbor, around the "no wake" buoys -- everybody wants to look at the back end of the harbor for shad, but that's not where they're at...

6. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I went Friday night and had good results. Not to give away my spot but I fished downstream from the 65 Highway bridge in one of my spots, 2 biggest fish were 38 and 22, then several 3-8 pounders. Caught everything on fresh shad and found the shad in Drake Harbor, dime a dozen but you have wait until after dark. Averaged about 5 each throw and all were big. Chris

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    A buddy of mine, Ed Noll, went down last night and fished for a couple of hours. He said shad were tough to net, but ended up with enough to fish till 5 or 6 this morning. He caught 5 blues, and 1 flathead in the 40-50 lb range.

Attached Files:

8. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the reports guys. I think I will head that way tomorrow and fish Wed. night and Thur. Then I can get home before the weekender's take over. I can hit the Missouri on Fri and Sat. that will leave Sunday to cut the grass and get ready to go back to work.
    :sad2:

9. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    what part of the missouri do you fish

10. crashawk

crashawk New Member

State:
    missouri

when you say "drake harbor" do you mean there at the boat ramp in town?
    we should come up with a sticker for our boats with the catfish1 logo so we can all know each other on the water.

Jason

11. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    JUST GOT BACK FROM A FOUR DAY TRIP UP THERE. THEY WERE RUNNING WATER OFF AND ON. CAUGHT ALOT OF 2 TO 5 POUND FISH CAUGHT A 37 POUND FLATHEAD ON A SPOON UP BY FENCE ON EAST SIDE . CAUGHT TWO BLUES IN THE MID THIRTIES. CATCH YOUR SHAD OFF THE FISHING DOCKS IN THE DEAD WATER CHANNEL AROUND DARK . GOOD FISHING TO ALL.:cool2:

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Chris, Congrats on the fish. Now post some pics.

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good report Catman, sounds like you did really well. Jim and I were in the bait shop last sat. and there was a pic. of a blue cat in there that had to be around 80 pounds. Jen wasn't in there at the time and the gal working didnt know the story. It was a Huge fish and the guy holding it wasnt small. Biggest one I've seen around here in a while. Need to catch jen in there and get the scoop, she wasnt there this morning but will find out.
    May be fishing below the dam sun. Theres a trny. up on the lake but heard we may be able to trailer to below the dam. See ya all out there.

14. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    I SPOONFISH I SEEN THAT PIC IT WAS 83#S I BELIEVE THAT IS A GOOD FISH. UP AT THE LOOK OUT ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE TAILRACE THE BIG CATS ARE JUST STACKED IN THERE LIKE CORDWOOD . IF ANYBODY HASNT EVER BEEN UP THERE YOU NEED TO GO UP THERE AND LOOK AT THEM. IT SHOWS YOU WHAT KIND OF FISH WE STILL HAVE AND WHAT KIND OF FISH THAT DAM CAN PRODUCE.:big_smile:

15. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    I mainly fish out of Waverly or Miami.

Yes thats Drake Harbor. And I have thought the same thing, Maybe a small BOC flag to fly off a transom light?

16. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    Well I am home from my Trip. I don't know what the trick is to catching big blues below the dam but I guess I don't have it. I cant complain I caught and released a lot of Two to Five pound fish. Big fish was a pair of Twin blues that came Back to Back. I never weight them but they were in the 12-14 pound range. And I caught a Ten pound Flathead on a green sunfish. It was a good time. From 3:30 to 5:30 this morning you couldn't keep three poles in the water. I couldn't find any large shad until after dark last night, then I was able to find enough to fish through the night.
    I know if a guy just put in the time he could catch a big fish,but the small ones will eat you out of house and home.

17. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I'm thinking about making another trip back up there with all this talk about big catfish. Would I be better off taking the boat or just fishing from the no boating zone? I don't have fish finder on the boat yet to find any holes though. :crazy:

18. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Every year in June the big blues stack up in there. It's really something to see. At night time they will roam away from the turbines in search of something to eat and thats the best time to be fishing.
    Anyone that gets a chance go to the west side look out and bring some dog food or bread to feed them and you will get to see some Monster catfish.
    I will try to run up there today and see if I can get some pictures.

Either way is good seth. I prefer the west side up against the fence if on the bank but you can anchor in the channel if useing a boat and still do well.
    Fishing at night will be the best right now......

19. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Ran up to the dam to see if I could get some pictures. There are a bunch of blucats in there right now. Got a new camera and not sure how to work it real well yet so the pics. don't do a lot of justice.
    There was one blue up there that will go 70 + but every time I seen him I couldnt get a good pic. Most of them were 20-30 pound range.

Attached Files:

20. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Heres a couple more.

Attached Files: