Truman tailrace ????

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Cut bait, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I fished all day Thursday from the dam down to about a mile below the 65 bridge. I just have a few questions for you guys that fish that all the time.
    1. What size of a sinker do you guys use and do you fish straight down below the boat or do you cast at all?
    2. What do you use for an anchor any pictures would be nice.
    3. What is in the water right below the 65 bridge I ended up anchoring on what ever it was and catching fish off the back ok it.

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Depends on how much current is running, with the flood gates upen anything from 8-12 ounces of weight is what I use, only use as much as you have to use. With no gates but just generators anything from 2-5 ounces will work, just have to see what it takes. You will need to make a short cast behind the boat, nearly impossible to keep the bait directly below the boat in the current and I dont think that is a good idea anyway so position your boat for how you are going to fish. I got my anchor from Steve Brown and it has worked incredible, my boat is a wide 18 foot Crestliner and so far it has held in every kind of current that I have found. I use 100 foot of rope that is 1/2 inch diameter so that it is easier to pull back up. The boils you see below the 65 Highway Bridge are the remains of the old bridge that they sank when they put the new one in, usually holds good fish but lots of debris to get snagged on and it is sharp. Here's a link to the anchor: http://shop.catfishsafari.com/product.sc?categoryId=4&productId=87

3. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    If you sonar almost straight out from the dock there, and maybe down a bit, you'll find a big'ole hole right there below the sunken bridge that always seems to draw fish. Snaggin season we can usually sit right above it and get our limit. Catfishing seems trickier with the boat traffic and what not.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    8 oz if the current is running reasonable, 12 oz if it's really ripping (usually anything over 45000 cfs through the dam). I position my boat so that I can make an easy cast back to the area I want to fish, which is usually a brush pile or some other structure. Takes a while to learn how to position the boat, where it needs to be when you drop anchor so that you end up at the right spot, etc.

I use a home-made anchor consisting of about 20 lbs of lead on a 2 ft length of rebar with an eye welded at the end. I've posted photos of it before but I'm too lazy to go look them up now. It'll hold just fine anywhere I need it to. The trick to getting your anchor to hold is in using enough rope. 100 ft is the bare minimum I'd use when the water is running; 150 ft will let even an average anchor hold a lot better.

It's not a sunken bridge, just the pilings from the old hwy 65 bridge that used to cross right there - they built the current bridge back in the mid-1970's or so. The road in front of that "Roadhouse" restuarant (the big white building above the docks on the river) is old hwy 65. I've never bothered to fish there, too hard to position the boat and that kind of structure has never produced for me. Glad it worked for you though.

5. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    3-4 ounces is fine with the water they are running now.

As for anchors...I use a danforth/fluke type anchor for my 16 foot boat. It holds really well in the osage river mud bottom and is very lightweight. I bought a breakaway type anchor from a BOC member, but haven't used it as of yet. It's a lot heavier and bulkier than the danforth.

6. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    I usually fish from the 72 mile marker down to browns bend but I thought I would give it a try up their, I hadn’t fished up that far in years. The fishing is good but tricky and man theirs allot of people.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  8. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    that is a great design for an anchor. i have seen anchors just like that when i was out in california but never knew where they got them, i guess they made them.
    marty, how many pounds of lead (approx) do you think is needed to build that properly?

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I've used between 15 and 25 lbs of lead, seems to work pretty well at around 20.