Truman Tailrace rigging

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by POLECAT, Jun 16, 2007.

1. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Hello, New to this forum and finally at 51 yrs old going to do something I always dreamed of doing -- fish for BIG CATS ! Wife and I made a trip from Springfield, Mo. up to Truman a couple days ago to look it over and we're going back this coming Wednesday morning. Probably take the john boat along in case we want to use it but right now we're thinking we'll probably fish from the bank until we get the lay of the land. Got our big equipment all rounded up and plenty of weights but need to know the best way of rigging to fish below the dam. So far we plan on taking live perch in a cooler along with some other baits and spending the day of it. Maybe get on the water a little and explore the area to down below the 65 bridge. Any and all pointers will be welcome -- want to see the wife tie into a good cat ! POLECAT

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    For bank fishing below the dam:I use a 3 way swivel rig with lighter line to the weight so if you hang up hopefully all you loose is the weight. I have been useing 8 oz. of weight.
    In the boat I like to use a carolina rig, been useing 6 oz. of weight.
    Good luck out there, hope you get into some nice ones!

3. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    spoonfish, thanks so much for the information you supplied on truman. i'm thinking i'll bring bluegill from springfield to fish with but let me ask you about the shad that is packaged from the bait shops -- will that work? also, give me a little direction on drift fishing below the buoys - areas and such - i do have a depth finder. also is the water pretty clear for boating in a john below the buoys , any certain places i need to watch for underwater debris ? polecat.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Bank fishing below the dam was always an expensive waste of money for me. Very seldom saw my rigs again after casting them out.

For boat fishing, I use an incredibly simple rig that hasn't failed me yet.

Tie a 12 to 15 inch long dropper loop, leaving about a foot of tag line below the loop. Tie a surgeon's loop at the end of the tag. Tie the hook to the dropper loop using a palomar knot and simply feed the loop at the tag end through the eye on your sinker and back around to hold it in place.

It's far simpler than a carolina rig since it involves 3 knots and no need for a swivel or beads, and you don't have a sinker rubbing on your main line.

If you need pictures, I can post some. Otherwise here are links to a web page that shows how to tie the various knots:

Dropper loop: http://www.animatedknots.com/droppe...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Palomar knot: http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Surgeon's loop: http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeo...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

5. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Wow, now you guys are giving me some info I can go with. When starting a drift below the buoys is there a certain area to try to stay in or should i just try to stay in the channel ?? polecat

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Drifting the river is second in my book only to bank fishing in the tailrace as far as losing your rigs goes. There are snags all over the place.

Find a likely looking spot near an edge of the channel and anchor. I tend to do the best when fishing the drop-off between a shallow ledge and the channel - fan cast your baits so they're deep, on the drop-off and on the ledge until you find the fish.

If the water is really cranking, you'll do better to go 5 or 10 miles below the dam where the current isn't so strong. You should generally mark fish on the bottom in the area you're fishing.

Depending on the current, you'll need either 6 or 8 oz of weight. If you get really close to the dam while they are running a lot of water, it might take 10 or 12 oz. But you probably won't catch much in that kind of current.

Use cut shad for bait. It'll out perform bluegill by several orders of magnitude.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Here are some photos of the rig I use. The color in the photos has been altered to make the green mono stand out better.

8. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Thanks a million for all the good advice and instruction. Plan to head up wednesday morning very early if all goes well. Really had mixed thoughts about bringing the john 14 but I'll probably be sorry if we dont. Need to get familiar with the area by car and boat so we'll probably spend the whole day. Gotta get to down town warsaw and get one of those killer tenderloins for lunch then may need a nap under a shade tree. Polecat