Truman Tailrace question (boats)

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by POLECAT, Jun 17, 2007.

1. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Ok, This may seem like a silly question but I need some info on what to expect below the buoys when your in a small fishing john 14 footer. Is it advisable to even consider trying to fish out of one that close to the buoys and down to the 65 hwy bridge? If its safe to do that then just what can I expect if they blow the whistle and start letting water out ? This will be my first trip to warsaw mo. to fish the area and I'm a little nervous not knowing what to expect. I made a trip up last week and noticed they have boat ramps right near the dam so I'm assuming that a small fishing john is a safe bet. All the info you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated, I just dont want to pull a dumb move at my age. Polecat

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My boat is a 14 foot Lowe big jon flatbottom fishing boat with a 25hp Johnson, does great. I fish everywhere down there including right at the buoys below the dam. Sometimes the current is pretty swift but not that big of a deal. Just don't ever anchor your boat from the back, always anchor with the bow facing upstream but I'm sure you know that. Have a fun trip! Chris

3. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Chris, Thanks for the quick response about the use of my boat. One other question would be concerning and very shallow areas to look out for that could do prop damage ? Paul

4. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    Most of the water is good water down there, except of just downstream of Drake Harbor on the left side where the river makes a hard turn, really shallow but you can tell from the current. Other than that nothing really to worry about. Chris

5. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    When you say drake harbor my thinking says it must be right there at downtown warsaw is that correct ?

6. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    Yea, Drake Harbor is right by the Police Station. Chris

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    A native would say that the harbor is right behind the Community Building... :smile2:

8. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Mr T, now that's funny!

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    if I might add My two cents....be sure to take and use bug repelent. After saturday night fishing I'm surprised The bugs just didn't carry me off and suck Me dry!!!! mosquitos and chiggers are thick down there....you have been forewarned!!!

I'm gonna go back to scratching now!!!

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Speaking of bugs... I'm not sure what they were, but they were swarming us on Friday night. Only a few bites and they were gone by 11pm or so, but right after sunset, they were thick... Turning off all the lights seemed to help.

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    If your bank fishing or are anchored in a boat, get yourself a Thermecell and use it. I bought one for hunting the early bow season last year and I have been using it while catfishing at nights and it really keeps the gnats and mosquitoes at bay.

Most Walmart supercenters should have them. I got mine from the Walmart in Rolla.

12. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri

I don't know why that is. On the Mo. river during the summer I always say if you can get through the first hour of darkness that is always the worst.

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I bet i have 150 chigger bites!!!!!

back to scratching again!!!

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    And here I thought you were a native Marty LOL.

Brad wth were you doin up in the weeds.?.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I've just gone soft from spending all this time up here in the Big City...

16. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    Brad, There is a product called Fronline spray for control of feas and ticks on dogs and cats. I get this on myself by applying it to the critters, but I don't get chiggers now and it works great in keeping ticks off when Turkey hunting. I might start barking or die of some strange disease someday but I'm not scratching.

17. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri

Hey Brad, What are you doing crawling around on the ground? I know them chiggers didn't swim out and jump in the boat with you.
    :big_smile:

18. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Know how did we get from boats to giggers LOL:big_smile: