Truman Tailrace fishing trip

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Seth, May 28, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Me and three other guys went up and fished the Truman Tailrace from about 8pm - 1am this morning. We got skunked. Everybody got lots of small bites, but nothing big enough to get hooked. Everybody was saying it was pretty slow that was bank fishing, but we did talk to a guy at "The Station" that said they tore them up drifting during the day from the end of the no boating zone on down to the 65 bridge.

We did see one guy that landed a 20-25 pound blue a few hundred yards up above the buoys at the end of the no boating zone.

This was the first time we had been up there catfishing, and even though it wasn't very good I hope we make another trip back up there soon. Hopefully, they will be running about 13000 cfs instead of 33000 because you couldn't hardly get your bait to hold on bottom tonight.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I was there from 8:00pm Sunday to 8:00am Monday and it was a slow night of fishing. Could only manage 3 fish, but one of them happened to be a 26.2lb blue.

Attached Files:

3. Jason G

Jason G New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nice fish Doug WTG!!

4. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Definitely a nice fish. Congrats!

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Seth,
    Next time bring bigger lead (sinkers) I was out sunday night as well. We needed 5 oz minimum to hold the bottom. Ended up using 6 ozers just to be sure we could hold baits on the bottom no matter where we fished.

Doug,
    Thats was a nice fish yopu bumped into!!! As usual We were a day late, they were tearing them up Saturday!!

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO

We had on 8oz sinkers. They held good once we went down towards the buoys at the end of the no boating zone, but above it was hard to get them to hold.

I got my boat running good now so maybe I can make a trip up there soon and do some drift fishing and just catch a mess of em next time and hunt for the big ones at night. :big_smile:

7. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    If you were fishing up closer to the dam I can see how You would have a hard time getting baits to hold even with 8's! Here at home on the Kaw we usally only need 6's to hold but with all the high water we've been using 10's and 12's!!!

down below the dam drifting can be a good option But I prefer to mark fish on the finder set up anchored and catch them. The blues should be sarting to spawn soon so watch the fishing report before your next trip. the spawn gives them lockjaw like no ones buisness!!!

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Nice fish, Doug. Guess we need to take poor ol' Brad out and show him how to catch a catfish... :big_smile:

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I'm going to try and show him how tonight!:lol:

Just kidding Brad!:crazy:

10. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Damn guys.....talk about kickin' a fella when He's down!!!

Doug I can See Me wanting to fish real fast tonight....Anchor Boy!!!!!

11. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice fish Doug!

We fished around lexington and wellington in some small creeks and on the missouri once the brush went to banks but it was really slow! Starting to think I will never catch any fish!!!:crazy: