Truman Spring Fishing

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Fished with my brother (Gearjamr) Saturday up on Truman Lake in some of the toughest wind conditions I've ever been out in (a smart person would have stayed home, I think) - couldn't really fish where we wanted to because of the wind so had to make do with anyplace we could find where the boat wouldn't blow around too much.

First fish was a 17lb blue, caught on live shad before we even had all 6 rods in the water. We thought that might set the tone for the day but it was a fluke - the bite was pretty slow all day. I think we ended up with 5 or 6 fish total, including another 15 lb blue that my brother caught late in the day. That one was kind of exciting, as it wrapped around a tree and took several minutes of bulldogging to get him to unwind...

The best part? Not a single snagger! We pretty much had the lake to ourselves other than the occasional bass boat... :wink:

Here's a photo of my brother with the two big fish of the day.

2. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good job nailing a few fish despite the tough conditions!:wink:

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    congrats on the fish. It must of been bad if the snaggers weren't even out. :smile2:

4. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Way to go Marty... ya caught fish despite the existing conditions... how deep did you find the shad and how deep were the blues? appreciate the report.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Caught shad down on the Osage River at Warsaw (I fished down there on Friday, boat was already in the water Saturday morning) - the shad are scattering now that water is running more consistently and it's a lot more work to find them than just a few weeks ago. Found most of my shad in Drake Harbor on Friday evening near sunset, found some more in shallow coves on Saturday morning.

The blues were caught in less than 20 ft of water. It's the typical spring pattern - shallow water warms up first, the shad seek out warm water and the blues follow the buffet...

6. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Good lord those Tippen men are in no danger of winning any beauty contests!:smile2::smile2: J/K Marty. Congrats on putting some fish in the boat on a rough day.

7. whiskersister

whiskersister New Member

State:
    Anderson
    OMG, in your picture, I think that is one of the biggest cats I have seen..Did you catch that on r & r? And where did you catch it, AND what did you use for bait. That is awsome. I have never caught one even close to that size, but I am not giving up!!!! Congrats.

8. whiskersister

whiskersister New Member

State:
    Anderson
    In this picture is my husband Ernie, my new daughter in law, Ashley, my son Nick and me....

9. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    Congratulations on finding the fish Marty. What a way to spend the day with your younger brother...:wink:

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Congrats, great looking fish