Truman spillway

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Wiggins, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Wiggins

Wiggins New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Okay guys.........truly new to the board and almost as new to Missouri!

Moved here for the lake (truman) and I'm an addicted catfisherman. Won't tell you how big my largest Flatty was.... but I'll give ya a hint. Caught behind a wing dam on the Missouri just South of Sioux City Iowa using a 1# live carp as bait.

Now for my questions to all you local catfishermen. Spillway at Truman obviously has a channel or drop off in it all the way down to the no boating buoy's. I checked the flow rates at various locations on the West Bledsoe side and was really impressed with the flow (starting somewhere down around six feet or so) when the gates are raised any. It's not much given a rise in level of only 6 to 7" over a 30 minute time period. So there is a channel there.

Now comes the load(s) of questions.

1).. Somewhere, someone HAS to have an original diagram; design, or engineering drawings of the composition; layout; and depths of this section of the spillway.
    I've already pestered the Corp of Engineers in Kansas City about this to no avail. Who knows, maybe they think I'm some goober trying to tear the place up.

2). Does anyone know if the spillway is a poured concrete structure (know it's at least down to the first buoy's. But what's beyond that apron? Rock? Limestone basil rock or sheeting? And the depth?

3) The width of the channel? AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!

any and help here would be tremendously appreciate. Heck I'll even take out the most helpful in the boat and we can go driftin!@!!!!!!

2. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Is your mom Mrs Wiggins? Does she look like Carrol Burnette? I loved that show man. Anyway, before they put the buoy line in you could take your boat a lot further up toward the dam. A good indication would be to take your boat up to the bouy line and watch your depth finder. Ask around and find someone who used to take their boat up in there. Fishing the tailrace from the bank will get you snagged a lot. Take a lot of weights you'll need them. What ever channel there is coming from the gates and generators is man made. If you go the "The Station" bait shop they have an arial photo of the area before the lake filled up. The original channel is over by the visitor's center. This might be a good time to fish above the dam in the old channel.

3. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    I wish I could move there just for that!!! UGH! LOL. Good luck fishing.

AND WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!! IM FAIRLY NEW TOO. ITS GREAT HERE! :wink:

4. Wiggins

Wiggins New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Jeff,

(and no..... don't know Carol! I had to laugh at that!).

I did get a hold of the Corp. and got a big surprise.... even though afterthought made it apparent why there's not a lot of info here. 9/11.......
    Guess they figure a grisly ole perch slinger is going to try and yank down the dam or something.

I can tell you that the channel is about 60 yards wide and over 50 feet deep right off of the apron. The apron ends right at the wing portion of the spillway and from there on, nature gets to take it's course.

I'm an old engineer from an aircraft company back in Kansas so my analytical side keeps kicking in here.

The geological section of this part of Missouri shows it to have a limestone / granite sheathing running predominantly NW/ SE with some fractures. So once the water hits this.... it just scours the bottom till it hits the hard stuff. (WAY too much info. right?)

Anyway that channel slowly rises to that sheathing depth of somewhere in the 20 to 30 foot depth. Depositing underwater rock piles as it goes. Now these don't move. Now comes the fun part of "finding em" and being able to fish on the backside of em!!!!!!

I'll go to the station bait shop....and probably stare at that photo for hours!. (hope they don't think I a total nut.)

So anyone who reads this and sees a rather large guy walking around down there talking to himself and carrying a camera.... walk up and say "hey". I don't bite.

And thanks again. going to catch some perch and might go this evening!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  5. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

I'll be watchin for ya! lol

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Look up CatfishScotty on the Mo lakes section the guy is a expert on fishen below truman in the spill way.

7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: not that about 20 years ago i would of drove past the bouys to the dam in the dark :roll_eyes: lol

but its mostly 20 to 28 foot deep all the way to the dam until ya get 50 yards or so then some spot 40 foot from what i can remeber and that was down from the gates side

but mostly 20 to 30 foot deep from the bouys to the dam ..

there are 2 humps just down from the bouys 1 of them is kinda in the middle and the other 1 is close to the bank on the sw side before ya go around the corner .

8. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    i bet any old pictures or maps ya may find before the opend it would help some .. but as much strong current went threw in 1987 or was it 1986 im sure changed it alot that flood year the fishing was totatly unbalievable ya didnt take a stringer when ya fished off the bank at the dam ya took a wheelbarrel :wink:

1993 and 1995 was just as good also catch a boat load in just a short time ..

9. Wiggins

Wiggins New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Down to the "Station". I did see the photo behind the cash register and it was helpful. But I gotta tell ya, I felt like I was imposing on the two folks there.

Now the ole boy behind the counter did tell me that midnight to 6 was the best time down there.

It was the gal that kind of set me off. She was quick to tell me that where I had fished "wasn't" the place to fish, but other than that pretty much nothing. All she'd say is go talk to the guys that I see down there all the time by the N-E fence. And pretty much beg them for info because in her words, "some of them we're pretty gruff ole boys".

Since none of you guys know me, I guess the only thing I can tell you is I'll give you the shirt off my back if your cold and I always shared whatever information I had on the waters I use to fish with "anyone" that showed a sincere desire to learn. Just the way I was raised.

And I'm not use to being snubbed like that when I'm just trying to learn a body of water and have to rely on others for information. I can tell you that of all the bait shops I frequented in Kansas.......never walked out of one of them felling like I did this morning. Guess they don't have to worry about me buying any perch from em....... Don't matter none.... I'll figure it out on my own. And consider that a lesson learned at 55.

I DO want to thank you for the effort though. You gave it a shot and that's greatly appreciated on this end. Thanks again.

10. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    ya the folks that run the station can be a little rude at times even to me :smile2::smile2:

they often make ya feel like your bugging them or something even when ya buy stuff and most of the stuff in there is way over priced in my opinion !!!

i think they pray for out of towners to make the quick buck .

but its funny next time may go in and your there best friend and talk your ear off ..

so dont feel bad it wasnt you personally it happens alot .

the local older guys are the ones to aproach down around the dam area for helpfull info .. they are more laid back and will help ya out as much as they can !!! be warned tho some of them old farts will talk your ear off and its hard to walk away lmao :wink::smile2:

to be honest theres very few really secret spots either the fish are up there and bitting or there not .

and trust me if the secret spot is there usually somebody will be on it !!!! lol

ive fished down below the dam all my life sense age 7 or so

and last few times i wad down and went to the dam and talked to a few of my old friends that fish it allmost everyday not much is going on on cats below the dam right now only white bass and crappie and a few prime time hits for hybrirds .

if you can take cold weather december and febuary are killer months to fish it at night .. off the bank at the dam . many a night ya will and can catch the snaut out of 10 to 40 lbers with 20 lbers being the most common .

the hard part that time of year for bank fishin guys is finding the bait shad is the best . perch 2nd and small drum fillets and heads are killer also .

I would fish as close as ya can to the dam on the gate side or the hanicap concreette dock also on the gate side ..

ya will need to be able to cast atleast half way across the channel many times to get into fish and get out of the rocks

if ya only cast a 1/4 way out its rock city and snagged allmost everytime .

if i was gonna fish it right now i would cast 2 rods out with shad or perch or drum heads as far as i could ,, then with my third rod i would use a big slip float about 6 foot to 10 foot deep and fish closer in with live bait to catch a blue or flathead holding up in the rocks .

hope this helps ya some !!!!! sooner or latter ya will run into some nice guys that will help ya out all they can and talk your ear off :wink:

11. Wiggins

Wiggins New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I guess I was a little miffed is all. For me, it's almost an hour drive to the lake and I'm fighting a 150 lb dog that thinks he's got to go everywhere with me. (Now imagine 225 lbs and 150lbs in a small pickup truck cab......pretty damn ugly sight.)

And you've given me more info than I probably deserve. I was thinking of taking to boat tomorrow and going just below the buoy's and floating down a bit...... see what happens.

I've got the rods for "winging" the bait. Got the pond full of pumpkinseeds and greens and luckily it's on the way down. See I'm west of Sedalia a bit. I use to drifting the lakes in Ks, usually at dusk till about 12 or so. Just can't justify doing that yet here till I get to know the lake a little better. Irregardless, thank you again. I really didn't want to post that negative a statement about those folks, but haven't been here long enough to let you know in a private message. Guess you have to be here and post over 10 messages. in time. Thanks again..... maybe we'll run into each other one of these days and the cold don't bother me.... Farm outside of Sioux City Iowa.....remember feeding cattle 20 below...

12. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    your more then welcome !!!!!

thats what this great catfish site is all about helping each other all we can :big_smile::big_smile:

ya feeding cows before school and waking up all hours of the night pulling calfs and baby pigs was how we rolled also ,, let along cutting wood all fall !!!!

who had time for homework from school back then ?????:eek:oooh::crazy: if I had free time from chores i was huntin and fishin !!!

so hope ya can read redneck my spelling sucks :smile2::smile2:

when ya get to send a private message shot me 1 and we will chitt chatt about catfishin at truman and LOZ ...

I havnt done much fishing sense july or so been working on things at our new house and now im waiting for the contractor to finish things up .

but 6 weeks or so I will be fishin and cleanin them hawgs again hee hee

nice to meet ya and welcome to the BOC the brother hood of catfishing :wink:

13. Wiggins

Wiggins New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I got you message and jotted down your number..... trust me I'll call you.

14. Wiggins

Wiggins New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What "redneck". I related to everything you said from pulling the calves to fighting the sows cleaning the farrowing pens! Don't care was anyone says fighting a sow with piglets ain't fun! She's usually got you by 3 to 400 pounds and she ain't happy.

Fished a lot of the wing dam's on the Missouri up there. That's where I got "hooked" on whiskers. Lots of BIG flathead with 20 to 40 pound channels happening quite a bit.

I can also relate to feeding cattle and milking 160 head before and after school. Then the hogs dinner and two hours for school work before 5 hours of sleep to do it all over again. (wouldn't have change a thing growing up)

Got to tell you guys I'm feeling a lot more at home now. Anyone here wants to go out and doesn't have a boat..... well that's a thing of the past now.
    You know where you want to go.... I can probably get ya there. May not have the cushy seats with the stereo, but hey.... never saw those things catch a fish.

15. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    .... you mean some have cushy seats!?!?!?!? THERE IS A GOD!!!! :crazy::roll_eyes:

16. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I'm gettin cushy seats real soon. Watching the clearance sales.

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Dan.

18. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

If you see any with a big back on it with good support, let me know, so I can get one for the captin LOL

19. mulemann

mulemann New Member

State:
    MISSOURI JEFFERSON CITY
    Is there a wheelchair accessible place to fish below Truman Dam? I live in the Jefferson City area and theres very little to get excited about when it comes to disabled fishing places. Scotty (or anyone else) feel free to PM me about any places I can get to.

Thanks

20. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    yes they have a concreette dock that is set up safe for wheelchairs below the dam , its on the flood gates side just a couple hundred yards from the dam itself .

also the fish hatchery in warsaw is set up wonderfull for wheelchairs and its totaly free ,, its stocked with nice size channels 2 to 15 lbers or so ..

also the old city boat ramp would work for wheelchairs its a level gravel area with a pretty good amount of room for bank fishing and parking . also in warsaw .

drake harbor could work also if ya had somebody with ya to help bring in a big fish up the rocky bank ,, buts its nice and level up top with shad trees and tables and bathrooms .. only ya would be around 20 feet from the water its a steep big rocky bank but I know people down there would help ya if ya needed help bringing in a big fish ..

also the dead channel right below the dam has several nice big docks , its good for cats at times plus crappie and white bass .

not sure where ya live but i would take a nice road trip and drive around the area ,, or call city hall in warsaw and they can send you all kind of information and maps with pictures of the lake .

best wishes to ya good luck buddy !!!!!!

and welcome to the boc :big_smile::wink::big_smile: