Truman Saturday 4/22

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Went out yesterday afternoon and evening around G14 on Truman, intending to catch crappie till about dark and then drift for blues. Got on the water around 4pm and headed back in the cove directly north of G14. Drowned a bunch of minnows, lost several jigs in the trees but only caught a couple of tiny crappie.

However...

For those of you wondering where the shad are, I can testify that they're absolutely thick up on Truman. I counted not less than 5 huge schools back in that cove, some of them being chased by white bass. We already had some shad, having netted better than 60 *huge* ones at the Windsor city lake in just one throw of the net. All of them 6" to 8" or so, so I didn't need to thin out any of the schools I saw.

Went out to the main lake in front of G14 at started drifting at around 5:30pm. Less than 5 minutes and I had a 4lb blue on. My brother was with us for his first ever drifting trip and he was skeptical that we had any chance of success, but I started to make a believer out of him. Caught that first fish in about 18 ft of water.

And then the wind stopped. I don't mean slowed down, I mean stopped, dead. And it stayed that way - so we spent the next 4 hours "drifting" with the trolling motor. Up and down the flats just downstream from G14 and managed to catch about 4 more fish and get our lines tangled about a dozen times (7 poles in the water may have been a bit much..) My brother got the big fish at about 7lbs. It was comical watching him anytime he had a bite - he's used to bank fishing and has a habit of diving for his pole as soon as he sees it twitch. Just about fell out of the boat the first 3 or 4 hits he had until we got him to settle down and let the fish do the work.

The shad were also absolutely thick out on the main lake - in the calm air, they were slapping the water all around us and we drifted over numerous huge balls of fish. I'm guessing there was very little if any winter killed shad on the lake, or else they wouldn't be so thick.

We ended up keeping 4 fish, 2 to 7 lbs. Had at least 3 others that spit out the hook and a few dinks that we threw back. All of the fish were caught before dark and in about 15 to 20 ft of water -- once the sun was gone, the bite stopped cold. Not sure if the storms rollling in had any effect or not. We got off the water at about 10:30 just as the first storm started sprinkling on us. Quite a lightning show, too.

I've decided that trying to use the trolling motor to drift fish in the pitch dark is not my favorite sport - we spent most of our time wobbling left and right as I could never find "straight ahead" on the foot pedal, and couldn't tell that we were turning for lack of visual references.

On the plus side, I'm absolutely loving my new GPS / Sonar -- I was able to blast back to the boat ramp in the pitch dark, following our previous track on the GPS and knowing that I was well clear of both the shore and the trees. Maneuvering in the trees once we got near the ramp (the Tightwad ramp) was a lot easier too since I just followed the line.

All in all, a pretty nice evening of fishing till we got home and started cleaning fish. I was taking the 7lb'er out of the livewell and he squirmed out of my hand. I dropped the sucker and he managed to fin me in the foot, through 2 layers of boot leather and right into the middle of my foot. It's swollen up huge this morning and hurts like you wouldn't believer. The price we pay for fishing, I gues...

Water temps 68F consistently on the main lake, around 72 back in the coves.

2. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was out on Saturday too. Out from Osage Bluff ramp in main lake drifting. I had my two nephews reeling them in. We caught 14 total with a 10 lber for the big. Threw back two little ones and the 10 lber. The weather forecast said little or no wind. They missed that one big time! It was great wind for drifting.

3. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Hey great reports guys! Saturday was about the same here on LOZ temps were slightly warmer.

Marty I usually don't drift at night. Too much chance of getting into something, I also rarely use more than four rods sometimes 5. Using more only makes more work for ya and really doesn't produce that many more fish. Once you and your brother get the hang of it, it won't be a big deal who catches the fish and you can relax and fish with fewer rods. I can drift with as many as six effectively but I prefer four. If you hook a big one he'll get in those extra lines before you can get them up.

Mike were you drifting around KK or the channel that leads out of Osage Bluff over the hump?

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Drifting at night doesn't really bother me -- but I'm also working in a small stretch of the lake that I know like the back of my hand. Other than drifting into a trot line (which happens too frequently), there's really not much for us to get into other than the trees, and I know where they are.

Having that GPS really helps the "situational awareness" as well -- I can see exactly where I am, what the depth is going to be like where I'm heading and how fast I'm moving. All great information to have, especially on a moon-less night.

We've thought about drifting in some other parts of the lake, but I'm not going to do it at night until I've been there in the day several times.

Think you're right about all the rods just meaning more trouble - especially on my 18 ft boat - there's just not enough room.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Oh yeah..

I forgot to mention in my original post that I'm now an official member of the "Forgot to put the plug in" club... Made for a couple of interesting minutes as we struggled to get the plug inserted while maneuvering around the trees and 2 other boats that launched right after me. Served as a good source of amusement for the other folks too...

We were in a hurry to put the boat in and my dad and brother were both "helping" me speed up the task of getting the boat ready.

Not anymore; just as I do the entire pre-flight on an airplane myself, I'll be doing the "pre-launch" by myself from now on. Lesson learned.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    LOL Marty.
    Sure is funny when your the guy watching a boat run around in circles at the ramp w/his plug out. Not quite as funny when your the guy though.
    Welcome to the club ...:cursing:

Good to hear your catching some fish!!!

7. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mrs. SB and I were on the lake Saturday as well. We did manage some decent crappie. Between us we kept 22, although my wife kept a couple that weren't what I like to clean. But they were legal, and as long as they had some good filets, I didn't complain. We couldn't get the wind to leave us alone. But we were gone about 3:30.

Glad to hear there are some cats biting. I'm going to try for a few of them this weekend.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Welcome aboard,now the weathers better I'm expecting membership to skyrocket:0a20: DOHHHHH

9. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Marty now you can look forward to being a member of the forgot to take my plug out fraternity. I had to let about 20 gallons of water out of my boat after that rain the other night. Seems I forgot to remove the plug. Congrats on your success, I'm sure its just the begining. I'll be fishing up there some next month. See ya on the water!

10. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My lower unit is fine, thank you. I just didn't let enough pressure out the top before I took out the bottom plug. You can hardly see the spot . . . well hundreds of spots . . . . . on my driveway . . . . as long as it is dark. I'm only out 1 shirt ($30) one pair of zip-off pants/shorts ($24) one pair of Nike's ($50) a pair of socks and a pair of underwear. In addition, I spent $20 on lower unit oil and $10 on a pump. $5 on oil sorbent. and $6 on a gallon of driveway cleaner. Sure am glad I can do these things myself to save money!

11. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    yea marty i have don the plug thing to,but i got a better one ,My first boat was a new 14 ft tadpole with a 9.9 on it ,i had my wife launching me ,we just got down the ramp when i said wo she thought i said go and took off only half the boat on the trailer landed right on the stag front went almost straight up ,that was the last time she launched me

12. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think we've all managed the plug thing at least once! Congratulations and welcome!

Ron, we had a west wind, I was drifting from about 2/3's of the way to KK getting blown east towards Osage Bluff arm and wall just above. I was tempted to go west of KK and try it...wish I had as Steve B. did pretty well there late afternoon and evening (using trolling motor after wind died out). Our last drift only netted a couple and my nephews were getting tired so we hung it up for the night. Still, 14 fish with a 10 lb big is better than a kick in the head. Man, I love those blues!

Also, if any of you guys has a Lowrance GPS, you can download a free detailed map of Truman...and it's incredibly accurate. When it says you're going over the channel, you're durn well going over the channel. It's just a really nice toy...er, excuse me, tool to have.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I've got the enhanced map of Truman on my Eagle FishElite 480 and I just can't imagine what I did before I had it. Far more accurate than trying to guess your position on a paper map, and way better than having nothing at all.

Plus the ride back to the ramp in the pitch dark was *soooo* much easier. Not that I'm going to make a habit of flying wide-open on a black night, but it's sure nice to know you're returning over the same path you went out on and you know you're clear of the stumps.

Think we'll head to the KK Island area next time out -- or possibly just a few miles up around Berry Bend -- both look like great places to drift. Won't try them at night until I've been there several times in the daylight though.

14. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Marty is that the enhanced version downloaded from the Lowrance site? I have the MapCreate software and I wish I would have just got the Navionics maps. Get all your wav points in there and make me a copy! See ya on the water!

15. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Yeah, that's the one. I was amazed how easy it is to use - copy the file to a memory card, put it in the unit and it gets loaded automatically when you're on that lake. Pretty slick.

Same information as the printed maps you can get at Wally World. Free is a pretty good price. Wish they were offering the map for LOZ also, but no dice; I'll have to buy the data card to get that lake and the other Missouri lakes.