Truman Reservoir - Info Please

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by hanson, Jan 26, 2006.

1. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Alrighty fellow cattin' addicts...

A few of us northerners are planning a cat trip down south. I asked this question in the Blue Cat Forum but a fishing partner of mine decided that Truman res. or Lake of the Ozarks may be a better choice so hopefully I can get some more specific info here. Right now, we're think Truman.

So...

I'm just looking to gather a few thoughts, opinions, tactics, etc.

How's the fishing in late March?

How's the flatheading in later March? We can start catching flats in Minnesota in April so the flatheads should be going good I would assume.

How's the blue catfishing in later March?

Obviously, Truman is a large body of water. What do we need to focus on to narrow down our search time. I would imagine looking towards feeder creaks , streams, etc and locating baitfish is very important. Flatheads like cover of course. Anyone have any opinions??

Maybe I can start a dialog with a few of you locals who wouldn't mind showing some out-of-towners the ropes. We fish strictly catch & release on big cats and are accomplished anglers to boot. We're just trying to do some legwork on a body of water none of us have fished before so we can hit the lake with a game plan when we get there.

Thanks for any info in advance!!

2. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    The blue in my profile pic was caught while drifting the KK Island area. It weighed in at 44 lbs. Good luck!

3. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Thanks for the info!! The trip is a few months off and we know what we are doing when it comes to cats, mainly channels & flats. We're trying to expand our knowledge and season (we're still frozen over up here in March) into a few southern states and blues are definitely the target.

Do you or anyone else know of a good digital mapsource, such as Navionics? Have they surveyed Truman to good detail yet. In Minnesota, Lakemaster is the company that has the sweetest maps on our best lakes and that is what I'd be looking for, some kind of navigational chart/contour map. Pop a MMC chip into a GPS and away we go... that type of thing.

Throwing a cast net for shad will be a new experience no doubt and that will be part of the fun. Just the same as catching bullheads & creek chubs for flatheads and goldeyes & frogs for channel cats.

Hope to talk with you guys some more!

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You can download a *free* digital topo map of Truman lake, compatible with Lowrance and Eagle GPS units, from the Lowrance web site. http://www.lowrance.com/Mapping/LakeMaps/index.asp

The map shows lake topography in ~10 ft increments and gives a good idea of what the bottom is like. The map is pretty much identical to the paper topographic maps you can buy locally.

It's not detailed enough to show underwater structure like brush piles, foundations, etc. and I don't know of any such maps available for Truman lake, digital or otherwise.

For your cast net, you might want to consider the "Super Spreader" cast net made by a company called Fitec - it has a special aluminum ring built into it that really makes throwing the net a lot easier for someone who doesn't know what they're doing (me).

Good luck and let us know when you're going to be in the area!

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Mr.T I'll have to show you how to throw a 8ft/10ft net. I think it's actully easyer then the little 3 and 5's. As far as blues in march. They should be good to go. The fishing should be about the same as last year. Water was around 38 degrees when we started fishing 2-5 foot of water with shad. Lots of blues biggest was in the 30's.

6. truman lake guy

truman lake guy New Member

State:
    mo
    i fished truman with jugs wed during the day. caught 6.. 2 channels and 4 blues. 2 of the blues where about 10 lbs. first time winter fishin was a good one for me !! i fish off hwy 13 near clinton..:)

7. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Crazys got it dead on from 38 degrees is big fish time. Come on down and catch em!

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'll be heading to warsaw in the morning to check out how the blues are doing. I'm figuring the water should be in the upper 30's if not 40 there. The water around these parts is 38 degrees. At least it was tuesday. Let you all know how we do.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Water in the upper grand arm around Bucksaw was 42F on Saturday. I hear they're catching lots of blues on trotlines using perch. But I spent the day trying to catch crappie and having very little success...

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    During March I would consentrate on fishing the sun warmed coves.
    Drift fishing is another very productive method on Truman for blues and channel cats.
    For flat heads I would look for heavy structure in the coves and channel ledges.
    Where will you be puting in at? If you know I could give you a better idea of where to try.
    You will need a cast net for shad, I usally search the coves first to catch them. Bluegill is also a good bait to use.

11. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    spoonfish-

Not sure where we're putting in at yet. The trip is still in the very early planning stages. Currently, I'm looking at the last weekend in March for the trip. We've good great ice fishing up here into late March so we're planning the trip about the time the ice starts getting bad to drive on.

Right now, I've got a couple contour maps coming that will help us plan and strategize. I'm just going to pay attention to the forums here and possibly search some past archives for a little more info.

12. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nobody on this site wants to see you in a bikini, Wolfie! So just forget that idea. Actually, with the weather as warm as it has been in January, the water temp may be a little warmer in late March compared to normal. That could translate very well for our visitors from the frozen north.

13. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I forgot to plug my video. Wolfie will be the camera man. Gonna demonstrate my casting net techniques for everyone to watch and enjoy. You should be able to find it at Wal-Mart in the comedy section . . . . . . :crying:

14. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    I've heard of KK, but Truman's a pretty big lake. Could you folks give me an idea where to look for it? And another dumb question; when drift fishing, don't u get hung up & lose a lot of tackle? seems like that would cost more than the boat gas. Mostly i'm a rookie when it comes to fishing. I usually fish farm ponds where i can sit on the bank, drink beer & enjoy the view of the countryside.
    Thanks.

15. xpressed

xpressed New Member

State:
    MO.
    Crawdad, if you know where Osage Bluff Marina is your there. Come out of the marina strait out of the cove and you'll run right into it. Also it's right where the Osage and the Pomme come together.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Took me a while to get the hang of it, but we only lost 2 rigs over our last 3 trips of drift fishing. The trick is to put a small foam float (2" or so) between the sinker and hook - keeps the hook up off the bottom and, more importantly, when the sinker runs into something and stops, the float pulls the hook vertically away from the snag. Eventually, the sinker bounces up over the snag and the hook's already in the clear.

Of course, when you catch an old sunken trotline, that's a different story...

17. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    thanks guys. I really appreciate the info.

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Also forgot to mention that I like to use the wire "Bottom Bouncer" rigs that are popular among walleye fisherman, etc. - it's an L-shaped wire with a sinker molded into one side; you tie your main line at the bend in the L and your hook/float at the end of the L opposite the sinker.

They work like a charm; the only thing I don't like is that the cats immediately feel resistance when you get a hit - with a more tradtional rigging, the line can slip through the sinker.

When not using the Bottom Bouncer rig, I use a "Walking" sinker above a barrel swivel, then 18 to 24 inches of leader to the hook.

Any time I've tried to use a 3-way or any other kind of separate light line for the sinker, I've had nothing but tangles. It's disappointing to drag a line through the water for 45 minutes with no bites only to pull it up and find that it's all a twisted, tangled mess...