Truman Report, May 6

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by safetybass, May 6, 2006.

1. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Went down to Truman this morning. Weather forecast was cloudy with a chance of rain later in the day. Left Warrensburg about 9:30. On the water about 10:30. Turns out later in the day was 10:45. Did I mention there was a chance of rain? Well, that is what God made rainsuits for.

I just didn't realize he was going to test mine so thoroughly today.

Talked to some folks at the ramp who had been running lines. Nada. Zip. Zilch. The big zero. That surprised me. They were using shad sides, and had their lines in all night. According to them, their bait was still on their hooks. That didn't sound real good, but we were at Sparrowfoot. I decided to just go catch some crappie. Did I mention there was a chance of rain later in the day?

I went to a cove that I knew had crappie and did a little experiment between live minnows and Gulp minnows from Berkley. I discovered crappie will hit the Gulp minnows fairly consistently, almost as consistently as real minnows. However, I lost half the fish I hooked on the Gulp minnows. The body of the Gulp minnow was so thick I wasn't getting a good "bite" with the hook because of the decreased space between the hook point and the minnow. The bigger the crappie, the more likely I would lose it because my hook didn't get a good "bite" on the fish. And it didn't appear that the crappie had heard the forecast. Did I mention it might rain?

Well, it "chanced" on me from 10:45 am until I packed up and left at 3:30. I still don't have all the water out my boat. My clothes and I were soaked. But I have 15 nice experiments to go fillet. : )

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Larry - we got rained on also. That 20% just about soaked us. But my rain suit worked just like it's supposed to and the only part that got wet was my face and hands. Gotta love that Gore-tex.

3. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, I'd have been OK if I had put my bottoms on. But it was just sprinkling. Then a little more sprinkles. I was staying pretty dry with just the top. Then it started to rain. And my pants were already wet. Bummer. But I ate some fresh crappie for dinner!

4. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I got wet but check out what we caught in the "About that tournament thread". See ya on the water!