Truman: Osage or Grand or does it matter?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    For those of you who've chased blue cats on both the Grand and Osage arms of Truman lake, do you think one is better than the other?

I always understood the Osage to be a better-established catfish river prior to the lake coming in, but after 30 years, I wonder if the fish aren't pretty much evenly distributed all over the lake by now?

So far I've only fished on the Grand and Tebo Creek arms of the lake, as they're a lot more accessible from Kansas City. But if I'm missing out by not fishing on the Osage arm, I'll make a more concerted effort to get over there.

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I dont know either and would like some info on truman. I'm supposed to stay at oceola the weekend of the 28,29,30. The father-n-law wants to do some crappie fishing and I want to do some catting were are the monsters? Were is the bait?

3. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    The area you fish definately holds big fish and a good population, but my records indicate we catch bigger fish on the Osage.

The Pomme de Terre converges with the Osage at KK Island . If you are after really BIG fish this is the place to start, good flat head fishing there to, lots of timber west of the island in the Osage. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The best access to this area is at the Osage Bluff Marina.

4. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I know some guys who do real well in Osceola. I think they fish up in the Sac, Talley bend is popular also. See ya on the water!

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I would agree with John.
    The Osage is hard to beat but than again thats where I know the best.
    Pomme arm is also very good out of Osage bluff and most people know of the KK location.
    Good luck out there.

6. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Brandon of course the Osage is great, I was just letting you know of another overlooked hotspot really close to where your going to be. KK island is a long way by water from Osceola. I fish the Osage here on LOZ almost everyday and I ain't ever going to put it down. Its about to get really hot if this rain keeps up! See ya on the water!

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Had plans to fish the Osceola area Osage-Sac this week end. Normally I would have been gone a hour ago, but with the rain were not in a big hurry this morning. There will be a bunch on debris floating from all the rain up there so I think we will just hit LOZ today.
    Well I'm about coffee'd out so it's time to put on the rain gear and load the boat. See you out there.
    Gone fishin' Leave a message......

8. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    When water is rising, would you fish the upper end of lakes or get up the river? I am thinking Mark Twain Lake but the principle should be the same. Hannibal Mike

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'm no expert, but anywhere the water is moving should stir up the catfish - whether that's in the back of coves where the creeks feed in or farther up the rivers that feed the lake.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Looks like starting Tuesday they plan on running some water.
    Had a good day today and actually good weather. May have to sit around a little tomorrow morning acording to the forecast. Rains just started in again here. See you out there tomorrow.....

11. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Marty talking about which is better,i think they close to the same ,when the blues spawn there is a bridge on a dead end road off 18 hwy west of clinton that people killem big blues ,i know if you want big flathead during the spawn,fish west of 13 hwy bridge on the grand arm the biggest we pulled out of there was 69lbs alot of 40 and 50

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well it rained pretty mutch the whole time i was there. I got out around 6AM sat. got a few good bites and one that doubled over my pole but instead of hooking the fish the hook turned back and hooked my bait again:sad2: to top it off I snagged a rock with my throw net and lost it:roll_eyes: bad weekend of fishing oh well its still early in the year

13. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Brandon hook your shad heads thru the nostrils and your gut pockets thru the belly and you can usually avoid the foul hook or hook back problem. If that doesn't work for you go to an inline or straight Octopus Circle, Gamakatsu claims they don't hook back as badly. See ya on the water!

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Yea my hook never seems to be in the right part of the bait. i had a live shad hooked in the back by the dorsil fin with a hook that had a lot of twist. after that i hooked it in the head, but it was too late in the morning and the bites slowed way down, so I hung it up.