Truman lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Cut bait, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    How long do you think they will hold the water back?
    We could be in for a July to remember. Get your cameras ready!!

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Looks like there going to run it up to at least 728 before they release much, thats 22 feet above the 706 normal pool level. http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/water_reports/lakepool.fct
    The reservoir is designed to hold up to 739.6 at maximum flood levels. Were going to have a bunch of water running thru the dam here before long. Better bring the big anchor when they do Aaron. :wink:

3. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    I fished below the bouys on Friday and Saturday. I was surprised at the lack of water flow on both days, especially Friday. I think I'll stay away from that area when they release high amounts of water. I wonder how much it will affect drift fishing for cats on down the lake though?

4. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI

I cant wait and last year I caught them all spider rigging and driffting over them fast as hell. (go figure)

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I know a couple guys that fish here and drift it while it's ripping water also Aaron. They spider rig straight down and reel up to just off the bottom and tear them up. They dont even try to slow the boat down with the trolling motor or any thing else. Kind of blows that theory about remaining below 1/2 mph. :big_smile:

6. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looks like July is going to be incredible again! I took the whole month of July off for vacation again and hope to find some good fish like I did last year. My vacation starts July 4th so I should be fishing somewhere below the dam every day hopefully, cant wait! Chris

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    ummmm, excuse my ignorance but what is a spider rig? Perhaps i call it something else.

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Lines straight down John. Kind of the same many do for crappie fishing. In the current use enough weight to keep them vertical as possible. A lot of guys use there trolling motor or some means to slow the drift down. But it's just drifting straight down.

9. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    How long of a leader do you use when spider rigging?

Tom

10. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry for you guys at Truman, but I hope they keep holding the water back until the Missouri drops a little more.
    I live on the lower Osage and I already have the MO backed up in my yard.
    All I need is for LOZ to up the realese to the 50,000 range and I'll get it from both ends.:crazy:

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Tom, One way is to use a 3 way swivel rig. Tie the leader to the weight with lighter line in case you snag so you only loose the weight. Make the leader to the weight aprox. 2 foot long. The leader to the hook aprox. 1 foot long.

A lot of guys also just make a drop loop rig as it is quick and doesnt take as long to rig up as the 3 way swivel rig. Tie your wieght to the bottom of the main line and come up about a foot or two and make a drop loop knot leaving about a foot of loop to tie your hook to with a palamor knot.
    These are easy and work well but you dont have a swivel and if you snag up you dont have lighter line to the weight to break off with.

I normally just tie up my 3 way rigs before hand so they can be changed quickly.

12. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Thanks for the info Troy. I am like a kid waiting on Christmas Morning waiting for the 28th. I never have fished at Warsaw and this just gives me another option.

Tom

13. slimer1

slimer1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Was coming to truman, long shoal, The 2nd through the 6th of july but called the campground and it has officially been closed starting the 16th. With a reopening date around the 7th of july. So guess I won't be going that way now...

14. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Several of the ramps are also closed. According to the Corps web site the only ramps open are Berry Bend, Osage Bluff, Sparrowfoot, Talley Bend High Water, and Shawnee Bend High Water ramps. I would deffinately check with the Corps before I drove some distance to fish Truman.