Truman Lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by MissouriCats, May 26, 2008.

1. MissouriCats

MissouriCats New Member

State:
    Higginsville,Missouri
    I grew up fishing small ponds and the Missouri River but I have been catfishing Truman lake for about two years now and can't seem to have very good luck which has become very frustrating. I've mastered the art of catching channel cats from 1 to 6 lbs. and thats only when I'm fishing for crappie with minnows. I've been trying hard to catch blues and flatheads that amount to some size but with such a large body of water I'm having trouble with where to start. I always put a boat in by Warsaw at the Dam because I camp behind it. If anyone has any tips on where to look for spots to fish let me know. It gets old just picking coves and trying them out every weekend.

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm far from an expert up on Truman but have been able to find some good fish there. Make sure you have FRESH bait, as in just caught shad or bluegill. I like to fish over at KK island near Osage Bluff, and catch tons of blues there. In the evening I anchor in 10-12 feet of water near the island and then cast out on the flats with fresh bait, seems like the cats come up looking for bait and I do pretty well there. Also have good luck drifting baits over the "humps" in front of the island too, let out a bunch of line and let your bait just bump along the bottom, make sure you have a good rod holder or hang on because the hits are hard and fast. I have also caught cats over in the Sterret Creek area fishing the flats. Hope this helps, others that know alot about fishing up on the lake should chime in. Chris

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome Kyle. I only fished below the dam a couple days during the resent gathering. I know one thing, if i ever find a job in Warsaw area, i'm movin. I fell in love with the river.

4. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man, I would definately move down there if I could find a job, no questions asked. I actually checked on it last year but the Police Dept's and Sheriff's Dept's down there don't even come close to what I make up here so looks like I'm stuck here. I spend almost all my time off down at Warsaw so I figured I might as well just move. Chris

5. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    welcome aboard kyle.i havent fished truman much so i cant offer a whole lot of help but like chris said,make sure you have fresh bait. im guessin shad would probably be your best bet.good luck and keep us posted on your results

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Drift fishing is likely to be the most productive method for catching blue cats on Truman Lake from now till about the end of October. The trick is in finding the right areas to drift. The flats east of KK Island are a good place to start, but there's a lot more to the lake than just that area. Get your drifting technique down first, then start looking for other places similar to the ones you've been successful on.

If you want to learn how to be a good drift fisherman quickly, I'd suggest booking a trip with Steve Brown at Catfish Safari for mid-July or so. He'll teach you more in a day than you'll learn on your own in several years.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Kyle. I'm by far no expert on Truman. Lots of good info posted above. Good luck.

8. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Good thread Kyle. I also would like to learn more about drift fishing have never tried to do it. Good luck with it.

Tom

9. flathead_finder

flathead_finder New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Kyle,

I've caught my fair share of flatheads up the Grand Arm, above Bucksaw, so I can't speak specifically about where you are trying to fish. But my reccomendation would be to stay out of the coves if you are very far in them. My best spots are timber at the mouths of coves or bush just off of a main channel. If you know where the main channel is, look for bigger trees a bit off of it, there was most likely a drainage ditch along there and those are good places. My experiences--for flathead, you've got to get in the brush. These places won't take as many blue's as the more open timber but will also take some blues. Fresh shad for bluecat and live perch or goldfish for flathead.

10. MissouriCats

MissouriCats New Member

State:
    Higginsville,Missouri
    Thanks everyone for the great information. I will definitely put it to good use next time I make it to the lake. Good luck fishing everyone.

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I normally fish the osage arm so will try to give some info. on my experience fishing there.

Drifting is probably one of the best ways to put blues into the boat on Truman. Normally they will be fish in the 20 pound and under range. I say this because I believe the really big fish dont so much chase there prey they tend to ambush it.

Look for the big fish in the channel ledges where they can sit out of the current around some kind of structure, Rocks, depressions, outside and inside bends in the river ect. Find one of these areas that has a adjascent flat, anchor up and your in business.

Also dont overlook the shallow water fishing on Truman. With the lake level high right now the sloughs along the upper osage are flooded and the shad will be up in them and the cats will follow. Saturday the wind was out of the east so we set up on the west end of a slough mouth. We had a limit there within a hour in 9 feet of water at the mouth on down to a few feet that some poles were casted into the slough.

Same old thing, use the wind and think where the plankton will be and the shad will follow along with the cats. Good luck out there.....

12. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    when drifting do you prefer to use a rig like the carolina rig or is it better to use something else like 3way rig? and also do you guys use drift socks or just let the wind push you naturally? we have never drifted before but it sounds like it might be worth a try

13. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Man I am ready to ditch work get the boat and camper and head back to the osage and do some fishing. I will have to figure this drift fishing out and try it.

Tom

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There's a lot of info on the BOC about drift fishing so I'd suggest doing some research.

One word of caution: Folks use the term "Drift Fishing" to refer to several different styles of fishing. What you're interested in is LAKE Drift Fishing, not RIVER drift fishing. The articles and threads on the BOC about Drift Fishing aren't always clear what kind of drifting they're talking about.