Truman Lake - Winter Pattern Sonar Example

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Here are some examples of the kind of fish concentrations I look for on Truman Lake during the winter time.

This are snapshots taken on my 997C si while cruising up the middle of the old river channel - it doesn't really matter exactly where I was that day; you'll find this same kind of thing all over the lake in roughly the same depth of water. You can see a massive ball of shad with lots of larger gamefish around and below them. The fish on the bottom are almost certainly blue cats feeding on the falling scraps created by the feeding frenzy above.

Usually when you find this kind of bait fish goldmine, you can expect to catch quite a few blue cats, as long as you can figure out a way to get your boat in position - either by tying up to trees, pushing up on the shore or anchoring. If you're not getting bites within a few minutes, either move or try a different bait presentation - sometimes they want chunks of larger shad and sometimes they won't eat anything but the small 2 to 3 inch baby shad. If one isn't working, try the other.

As long as the lake doesn't freeze over, this pattern will hold for at least the next month or two.

2. farmer

farmer Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Thanks for the tips Marty. Its a prime example. :0a31:

3. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Wow. That really gets the blood movin seein the sonar like that. Quick question which model do ya think would be better the 997 like yours or the 1197, is there any real difference between the two?:eek:oooh:

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The 1197 or 1157 or whatever it's called has a bigger display but otherwise the units are pretty much the same. Prices have come down on the big one but they're both still pretty high.

5. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Thanks Marty, it dosen't get any plainer than that! I must say also that I have NOT seen any of those either, but I haven't been out to see them:sad2:

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Thanks for sharing that, it is neat to see what it looks like on a good unit. I would like to get one in the future.