Truman Lake Report?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Is there any open water on Truman? I'm coming down there March 15 for some catfishing and I don't want to fight my way through the armada of snaggers on the river below the dam...:)

2. insanedrifter

insanedrifter New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was down last weekend and truman is 100% open.

3. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks! Great news. Now...will you run out and fetch me some bait?

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    It'd take some serious cold weather to freeze Truman completely - the coves and other protected areas definitely freeze up when it gets cold for a week or two, but I don't recall seeing the main lake frozen more than a couple of times in the last 30 years.

5. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Now if I could just find someone with a brand-new 24' ProCat boat I could borrow...

So I assume I'll be able to launch a boat from, say, that Ozark Bluff ramp?

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The shad have been dieing from the winter kill and you may be able to get some pretty easy that way. We picked up a few dozen Big shad saturday that were just below some thin ice in drake harbor that were half alive still.
    They were floating down river below the dam and we scooped up several while anchored as they floated by. Never even got the cast-net out and didnt have to get wet. :big_smile:

You can almost allways get out at shawnee bend if all else fails but I dont think you will have any worrys unless it stays cold again for a while. Hopefully were about done with it staying that way for long periods.

7. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    In Fisherman did an artical this month about targeting the windward side of lakes to fish where the dead shad where being blown. It sounds believable, but I have never done it. You mentioned dead shad. Has anyone tried fishing the wash up area? Hannibal Mike Have rod, will travel

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    They will be feeding on them Mike. About the only time of the year Ive had good luck with those jars of shad sides. Wear your rubber gloves and nose plugs if you use them....LOL

Long range forecast says its going to be in the 50's all next week with lows above freezing so you should be in great shape Burwell. Good luck out there.

9. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm heading down for some fishing below the dam tomorrow and Thursday, I'll post my results when I get back Thursday night. Chris

10. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Good luck Chris! Bring us back a good report. I got an itching to go catch some walleys/whites/hybrids/crappie/anything that wants to bite my hook. :smile2:

11. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm bringing my crappie/white bass ultra light rods also. If the cats are not interested in biting then I'm going to try in the old channel for whites and crappie. I had a work meeting at 7:30 tomorrow morning that just got cancelled so I'm heading out tonight, in about 2 hours. Chris

12. donbrown

donbrown New Member

State:
    mo
    well me catfishscotty and ole earl caught over 20 blues today on truman , weather was great, shad was easy to find. we hooked our first fish on steve browns new flathead rods from catfishsafari.com a nice 18 lber had another nice 15 lber couple 8 lbers the rest 3 to 5 lbs. we gonna go after them again tommorrow and see whats happens . we truely fell in love with the flathead rods today .

13. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congratulations on the day of fishing. Welcome Aboard Don, If Memory serves me right I had the pleasure of meeting you last year at drake harbor while launching my boat. Good Luck on Wed. going to be a Beautiful day.
    Rob

14. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Welcome aboard Don. What part of Truman did you guys fish and how deep if you don't mind me asking.

15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good to see you joined up Donnie. About time to go chase some of those crappies again isn't it.
    My friends from up in Ia. and Neb. will be down the 1st week end in April for 9 days again. Probably see you at the crappie spot again, you bring the beer this time LOL...

16. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    4 of us Iowa guys are slated to fish with Steve Brown on Saturday. Be careful, we've been know to travel with hurricanes and lightening in our wake.

Glad to hear some blues are being caught on Truman. We didn't wanna have to fight the snaggers on LOZ. We'll be fishing Saturday with Steve, then Sunday, Monday and part of Tuesday on our own. We'll probably put in at Ozark Bluff. Don, were you somewhere near there?

17. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Thanks for the good report, Don, Its time for the fish to start feeding.
    Jim

18. donbrown

donbrown New Member

State:
    mo
    me and catfishscotty went back out again today did pretty well again it was really windy we caught a 30 lber and 12 or so 2 to 6 lbers. we are fishing in the osage arm.

19. donbrown

donbrown New Member

State:
    mo

hi Troy Dad says howdy and yes time for crappie and he said he will bring the beer and pretzels lol.

good to hear from you again Troy me and Earl been working on the other site Jon started. give us a hollar some time we sure do miss ya . but we cant get in anymore lol.

catch ya later
    Dad said to tell ya he seen a guy catch a 27 inch wall eye below the dam monday , dad said probably around a 10 lber or better.

20. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Thanks for calling this morning guys, sounds like youve been doing really well on the catfish the last two days. Good luck out there again today, calling for a little bit of rain over your way but doesnt look to bad.

Thats a nice walleye Don, figure they will be starting any time now, water below the dam is still just low 40's we need a few more days like yesterday to get it around 45. With it being overcast today it should be a good one to try for walleyes today, may run down there later.