Truman Lake - osage bluff fishing report and catfish talk!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by FLOAT TRIP WILLIE, Oct 2, 2007.

1. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    went to osage bluff and fish last sat. didnt get anything worth talking about.
    my brother want to go up there this weekend. looking on the lake map. Do anyone have any luck at thibaut point? you guys might call it something else.Thats a real nice lake, I know its some monster cats in there. wish I can get there more often but its over 400 miles round trip from st. louis. He's paying for gas this time so im all for it............:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    How where you fishing Willie? Boat, bank, anchoring, drifting?

3. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    we were in my old mans jon boat
    we achored up then drift a little, we got about 5 between 3 and 8lbs
    all in all we had a great time on the water. cant wait till saturday

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Osage bluff area is a good place to drift Willie. Go out the channel to KK island and drift across.
    Thibaut Point is on the little Teebo arm off T hwy. The little teebo arm is good for flatheads. Head up stream and go under the bridge that crosses T hwy. and you will be up in the trees in good flathead area. Below the bridge if you stay out in the middle you can drift also and pick up some blue and channel cats. Good luck out there....

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    thanks troy looking forward to coming back to the lake:wink:

6. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey Willie; Next time you come this way give me a call for the latest fishing report or call jason at osage bluff.It may be to late now but here goes.The blues are being caught in 30/35 ft. of water.Drifting is working best.We are starting to pick up larger fish in the last few days( over 20lbs ).For me there is no better month for drifting truman than oct.I will be out every day possible and In my case that is about every day.Day by day the drift fishing will get better here Intill about holloween then things start to change.The trick is to keep up with the fish.What will happen is the blues will slowly make there way to the river channel.As long as you have a good graph you can keep up with thier movement.All you have to do then is have good FRESH bait and put it close enough to thier nose.You should be able to pick up 20/30 fish per day with out much trouble most however will be in the 2/10lb range.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    gettin ready to roust the old lady and daughter and head down thatta way. should be a nice day to drift up some truman lake blues!

8. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    back from Truman. had a decent day. Bait was hard to come by, but after 2 hrs trowing the net We finally had enough. ended up with 11 fish, with 5-6 lbs being the largest. Adriane got some sun and My daughter had a ton of fun and didn't want to go home, so i guess it was mission accomplished, just wish We could have found more or larger fish.

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Brad we had 28 guys and gals below the dam yesterday that would of gave a lot to see some 5-6 pound fish. Big fish was like 4 pounds I believe and 10 pounds total won. Worst day I've ever seen there. Jim and I had 3 dinks, didnt even weigh them, probably 4 pounds or so. We did have several other take downs that didnt hook up or may have had enough to take it. Thats fishin I remind myself but dam if youll see us below for a while.
    Look out Truman were back.....:0a23:

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Hope you had a safe trip back home Willie. It was good to meet you and your brother. Well fish up on Truman next time your down....:wink:

11. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Spent 7 hrs on LOZ around 70 mile marker and fishing was real slow, caught 10-12 blues and 1 channel nothing of any size. They had ran alot of water on Friday night and ran nothing on Sat. Sounds like everyone had a rough time. Shad were crazy thick in the coves BTW. Anyone know of a site/phone number that tells exactly when they are/will be releasing water?

12. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City

I wanted to come to the weigh in and see How you all had done, but with a late start and 2 hrs of net throwing We were not even close to being finished for the day.

We had one hot drift all day catching 6 fish all in about 20 minutes, and missed several more while we were busy tending to other rods. pretty fun when you have 3 or more rods go down all at the same time, i'm sure it looked like we were having a chinese fire drill LOL

thinking about bringing KC catfish down your way for a tourney next season, probibly early when We would have a better shot at them running water. I would need to have a good 10 boats outside of My regular crowd to make it worth doing.

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Thats a great idea Brad. July-August would be good months. June there still on the spawn and can be slow unless its at the end of the month. May need to be night trny. depending on the heat. We did the best this year in July at night below the dam. I can get several boats I know if you get it scheduled.
    I can help distribute flyers here and I think you will have a lot of people willing to fish it. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Another thought would be in May also. Just depends on the rain fall but thats going to be hard to schedule with enough advance.

14. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    We are still bouncing things off the wall to see what sticks. I have two more tourneys to run and then planning for next seson will get into high gear.

July and August will probibly be a no go, the fishing up here is way too good to get My guys to travel. also they are super busy months with docs and cableas in waverly.

we were thinking early like march or april. or perhalps late like November. winter fishing up on the lake can be awful fun if you can find them! not sure Yet We might be able to schedule two tourneys in Aug. a lot is still up in the air.

15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    March and April you will have the spoonbill season to deal with if your looking at haveing it below the dam or the upper part of Truman.
    November is one of my favorite months for blues on the lake but not sure how many will be die hard enough to fish it. I wouldnt think you will get the turn out.
    Another thing to consider would be to allow them to fish either above or below the dam. You could specify only drake harbor ramp (below) and Osage bluff ramp (above) as a example to launch from. You might talk to Steve and see about useing osage bluff as a sponsor? Oar house may be another option to help sponsor if fishing below? Several others to choose from at both places.
    Just a idea to kick around.

16. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    back from truman dam. I'll have to say i had a great time, wish we would have caught some fish but hay. I met troy, jim, lyle, and his son. Me and my brother are lookin forward to chamois. I hope you all can make it. I think we all will do alot better on a bigger water system. we did get a couple of nice hits but that was it. one of my poles went down hard I thought that was the one, but it turn out to be a three foot gar............talk about a run of bad luck. I wouldnt mind gettin back up that way and fish the lake again.

17. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    I talked to jason at osage bluff yesterday about a turny.out of there. I think Oct. would be best. Nov.you lose alot to deer season. Troy is right about spoonbill season ( forget it ).

What I want is a 50+ boat turny.to make it worth doing.

I will talk to my sponsers about getting Involved.

Some of the people I will be talking to are.

Suzuki , Lowrance , Team catfish , CreekBank Tanks , Betts , Okuma , Driftmaster , and many more. There will be alot of door prizes or I will not do it. As soon as I find out more I will keep you posted.

18. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Steve,
    We need to make this happen! with a year to plan and some good luck with some sponsors I think 50 boats isn't out of the question!

KC Catfish would be more then happy to run the tourney end of things.

19. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    hey steve i might make the trip up to fish if you get it put toghter, think it would be fun, even tho i have never fished up there before. give me a call if you get it set up.................. rusty