Truman Lake on the rise

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Truman Lake is up better than 8 inches in the last couple of days and the COE web site forecast says it's going to rise another foot in the next 3 days as well. Also noticed that the LOZ is up just a tad over 654, so it's coming up a bit also.

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/water_reports/lakepool.fct
    http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/cgi-bin/daily.pl?site_name=truman

The web site says they're not releasing water so I don't know if they're waiting for Truman to get up a couple of feet and then drain it all at once to raise LOZ or what. Let's hope that's the plan -- maybe there'll be some good water flowing for a week or so constantly. I'll take a day or two off from work if that happens!

2. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Thanks for posting that I was planning a trip to Truman in about 2 weeks. Appriciate the info.:)

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Sounds good to me I'm heading down there today for the weekend:)

4. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Bring your rain gear Brandon!

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The rain forecast for the weekend really has me giddy with excitement -- in my mind, I see a whole lot of rain, a quickly rising Truman Lake and -- this is the good part -- wide-open spillways for weeks at a time!

If it actually pans out that way, the upper LOZ should just be on fire and I'll be calling in sick at work more than once... ;)

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Woohoo, flash flood watch for the next 24 hours up this way. They are talking widespread amounts of several inches or more. There should be a little more water for the lakes before too long.

7. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thats great news! If they start releasing alot of water then I may need to head that way again!!

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Its raining here in Warsaw again now and forecast looks like it will for a few more days.
    Should make for some good fishing next Saturday on LOZ's USCATS tournament.
    Truman should also be in great shape for our Missouri Gathering in 3 weeks.
    Got the rain gear allready to go this wk. end.

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    It's been raining in Springfield,most all day, I hope the lakes are getting it to!

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    sure Hope We Get Some Of This Rain You All Are Talking About.down Around Chesterfield,mo . If We Don't Get Some Water In The Missouri Rvr You'll Be Able To Walk From St.charles,co To St.louis,co. Last Time I Saw It It Was Really Low. Don't Need No Floods Just Some Good Ol Water Comindown From Up Above. Enjoy The Rain.

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    With all this rain we have had I know that LOZ is coming up fairly fast now....I would think they are at the point that they won't have a choice but release water from Truman.:big_smile:

12. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They're a long way from having to release water. They won't bat an eye about holding Truman several feet high. I'm just hoping theu don't let it rise three feet, then lower it three feet, then raise it three, etc. If they aren't going to leave it alone, let the water out as it comes in. We need a decent spawn season on Truman.

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The water was up about a foot at drake harbor yesterday from Saturday. Looks like they plan to release some good amounts starting Tuesday. Spoonbill season is over and I have all the reels re-spooled w/big game line again. Ready to start my catfish'n for the rest of the year now. Should be a good week out there now if only I didn't have to work this week. Gotta go, may see you out there in the evenings at least.
    Good luck to you all out there....:0a22:

15. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    New numbers just posted and they're now forecasting 15000 cfs for the next 3 days.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Also forgot to mention that the recording says they're releasing 16000 cfs (of course, no idea if that's continuous or not) and the LOZ is up to 656.5 today.

Pretty sure I'm going to try to go fish with Steve Brown on Wednesday - need to talk with him first though.

17. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sound great thanks for the information!

18. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I know we had one heck of a current finally on LOZ today...sure was nice out there. Could even catch shad from the dock for bait...cats were biting fast also.:cool2:

19. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    From this mornings recoring (660-438-7317):
    708.30 truman elevation; 657.71 LOZ elevation; 26000 cfs through the turbines. The daily info web site doesn't indicate any discharge at all so I don't really trust it.

Talked to Steve Brown last night, said he caught better than 30 fish yesterday just messing around on his day off. Says there's lots of water moving.

So I'm scheduled to go fish with him on Thursday. Hope the current holds out until then!

It just kills me that I can't run down there right now and get in on the action - guess I should have called in sick rather than make the drive all the way to work.. :sad2:

20. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I couldn't tell much about the current on Truman yesterday (5-2). I caught several channel cats. I wasn't actually fishing for them, and every one of them was the same size: about 11 inches. They ate up my minnow supply and I ended up running out of minnows with only 14 crappie. :big_smile: That wind doesn't stop me every time!