Truman Lake Near Bucksaw Advice

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Honor the Fish, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Honor the Fish

Honor the Fish New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I am planning a laid back trip down to Truman this weekend and was wondering if any one had any advice on where to try near the bucksaw area.

This is more of a camping trip including ladies and babies, but I hope to sneak away in the boat at night for a few hours.

I have never fished down there before, so any general areas to try would be appreciated. I plan on having plenty of fresh shad and live perch, so I am up for either blues or flatheads.

I have a jet engine on a wide aluminum boat, so I don't mind hitting a few stumps to get back into some good areas.

Thanks for the help.

2. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    a jet engine on a boat:crazy: wow i bet that thing flies lol:smile2:

3. catchandfillet

catchandfillet New Member

State:
    mo
    the blues and flat heads are comming off the nest now you should do fine on the river channel edges and standing thick timber .if you dont mind the drive i would head over to osceola and go up river or drive to warsaw and fish below the dam.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    It's real good flathead area and also blues. I would drift for blues and hit the timber and coves at night for flatheads. Good luck and let us know how you did.

Fishing Report from the Bucksaw web site:

Date July 12, 2008 Water Temp 82
    Lake Level 720.22, Discharge 40,000 Water Clarity Great shape

Crappie fishing is good the fish are on the flats and eating. have had out several trips lately and catch limits every day. Fish 20 ft of water or more and fish 15 ft deep. Minnows are the best bait. Fish the flats and keep on the move.

Bass fishing is good the fish are on the main lake and secondary points. There is some current so the bass are eating good. Early morning fish a buzzbait and as the sun come up switch to a worm.

Catfish are being caught on flats in 10 ft of water fishing 5 ft deep.Cut bait is the bait of choice. Most of the fish coming in are bluecats. Jug lines and trot line are working.

White bass no report but will get good soon

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    That's the same catfish report they give pretty much all year around from Bucksaw... Just like Sterett Creek always says to fish flats near ditches using Lil Smokies... They don't have any real catfishermen at either marina to get reports from, so you're pretty much on your own...:roll_eyes:

Bucksaw is a snaggy, stumpy place. I haven't tried drifting up there but I'll bet it's pretty challenging. Guess I better figure it out before September rolls around, though...:wink:

6. catchandfillet

catchandfillet New Member

State:
    mo
    spoonfish is right .

If you have never drift fish for blue cats in truman before check with catfishsafari.com Steve Brown is a local guide that can take you out and show you the set up and catch fish. Well worth the money to learn he is a good guide!!!!!

7. Honor the Fish

Honor the Fish New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks for the replies, everything I have read says that it's covered with timber, which might make for a hard drift, but I'll give it a try. What depths do ya'll try to drift at Truman this time of year?

If that's unsuccesful, I think I'll go for flatheads in some of the heavy timber, if that doesn't work I will make sure I have a few beers on ice!

I'll definitely let ya'll know how it goes.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Right now I'd look about 20 to 30 ft deep for drifting - but the lake is dropping fast so that number might start to get a little shallower.

You won't have any trouble catching fish whether you anchor or drift, it's just a matter of finding them and getting a hook in their face.