Truman lake jug fishing

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Cut bait, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    How deep are you guys setting your jugs this time of year?

2. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Well back from Truman lake and wow we had a good day!!
    I ended up with allmost 225lbs of fish caught.
    They where all on jugs I couldnt even get a fish to look at a bait while driffting.
    After a day like I had the 5 fish limt on blues makes more sence.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Sounds like you had a great day Aaron. Way to go! Any big ones?

I set my jugs for the flats so I'm usally fishing in 10-12 ft. of water or so. I set mine up around 6 to 8 feet.

4. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I was fishing over 20 to 25 feet of water with 15 to 18 foot jugs.
    Cut shad and hole shad smashed both worked fine using #8 circle hooks
    I think I only missed 6 fish all day. First time i ever used my circle hooks on jugs/ noodles.And I had three fish over 30lbs and a bakers dozen over 15 with a real bunch from 2 to 6.
    The funny thing is the guy I was fishing with went back Saturday and Sunday with barely a limit caught both days. The trick Friday was it had rained just prior to us getting their and everything was on the surface feeding. If it rains Thursday night or morning after all this heat this week it just may bring them up again.
    Does anybody no whats going on with the drifting Ive never not caught a fish drifting before????????

5. swampthang_matt

swampthang_matt New Member

State:
    georgia
    i haven't fished with jugs in the river but dad said its at less 3 feet

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You're not doing it right. I was out Sunday morning with my boy and we lost count at around 25 fish or so. Nothing very big but a very steady bite.

You need to be in less than 20 ft of water for drifting right now, and in an area with deep water nearby. Sound familiar?

What kind of rig do you use while drifting?

7. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    It must of been one of those days when they weren't doing much below the thermal Cline cause I'm telling you I couldn't get a bite on my drifting reg
    And as far as not doing it right(The best Ive seen at drifting is STEVE BROWN and he didn't really teach me anything except how to locate fish on a graph) What area where you fishing Mr.T??????????

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Like Marty I drift the flats in 20 ft. or less adjacent to deeper water. Try to find the ones with humps or some kind of structure. If you run the trolling motor you can also stay right on the upside of the channel breaks. Heres a pretty good thread were some of the guys talk about drifting.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624&page=12

9. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Thanks Spoonfish but like I said I don't have trouble finding fish usually but Friday I wasn't doing something right:confused2: :confused2: even though I did have my second best day on jugs ever.
    I think it was you who said to try glow sticks at night in my jugs?? Thats sounds different and worth a try. Have you caught Flats that way or just Blues??

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I normally just catch blues and channels, probably because of location I would think. If the jugs are set back in coves around stumps at night a guy would have better luck with flatheads. The glow sticks are the way to go at night and they show up really well, makes it much easier than just reflective tape and a spot light to locate them. We had 32 floaters out last week and never had to us a light to check and pick them all up. Good luck out there!

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    We were fishing near KK Island on Sunday. Caught nearly all our fish between 17 and 19 ft, but did wander off into deeper water (25 ft or so) a couple of times and still got a few fish there. I use live cut shad (that is, it comes out of my bait tank all frisky until I cut it into chunks - you can't get any fresher than when the chunk twitches as you stick the hook in.

I rig the same way Steve Brown does - I posted a picture of my rig on another thread: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=340541&postcount=10 - the only thing I did any different over the weekend was to move the float closer to the hook, maybe 6" in front of it.

There were other boats drifting that same area at the same time and I honestly didn't see them pull in more than a few fish. In fact, Steve Brown was out there later in the morning and we drifted just behind him for a while, catching fish left and right when he was only getting a few. Some days are like that I guess.

12. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Mr.t did you use a drift sock?????? Thanks for all the replys guys hope I can help in the furture:big_smile_2: OOOOOOOO Mr.t theirs a spot over by KK island where Steve Brown catchs some real big fish.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I use two medium sized drift socks, keeps the boat moving at .5 to .75 mph according to the GPS.

I also fish out of the rear of the boat and not from the sides. You get too much rocking that messes with the action of the bait on the bottom when you drift sideways.

Steve's been fishing in pretty much the same places I've been fishing lately and from what he says, there haven't been any real big fish to speak of - I think he said 18lbs was the biggest so far, with several between 10 and 15 lbs.