truman lake cats

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by primitivefrn, Oct 28, 2005.

1. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Anybody catching, any cats on truman, Ben coming up, short lately,
    Cooler weather , should put them, to biteing, maybe not cold enough yet? :confused:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Hey Jim,
    What kind of new shad tank did you get?
    Glad to hear the people in that wreck were ok, there cars were sure smashed up bad. Haven't been out all week fishing, we need to get back after em, they are calling for a little warmer weather it looks like.

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    grayline from bait station, wife made mistake of asking me what, I wanted for birthday, Ill be ready to go, any time after the second of nov.
    \Cats seem to have lock jaw here./ haven't talked to anyone that has done any good on anything.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Drifted near Windsor Crossing and then over near G14 for several hours today.

One bite, one fish about 2 lbs and that's it. Wind was fierce and so were the snags.

I don't have the slightest idea where to look for the fish these days...

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Sounds good Jim,
    You know me i'm allways ready to go, let me know when. I'm gonna have to get the truck in the shop some time this week, went to hook up the boat to go fishing with chris and a brake line broke. Just glad it happened in the driveway and not on the road.
    Those grayline tanks are sweet. I better start droppin some hints for my birthday. :rolleyes:

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Jim,
    I just noticed you kind of rushed that birthday by a few days there LOL. They are calling for low 70s this thursday if you can get away during the week.

7. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Hey guys catching anything this week ,wont be out fishing much this winter ,working for that new boat i am buying in december.stay in touch

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    We drifted for about 6 hours today around G16 and G14, and ended up with just 1 little blue, maybe 3 lbs or so and only a couple of other weak hits.

The one we caught was in about 18 ft of water; we drifted everywhere from 12 ft to 50 ft and covered a *lot* of ground. There were tons and tons of fish painted on the fish finder - big ones suspended just off the bottom, huge clouds of shad, and everything in between.

But they just weren't biting.

On the positive side, however, we only got snagged twice the whole time we were out there - normally we lose 4 or 5 hooks each. I switched to a slightly larger foam float between the sinker and the hook, and I'm sure that made the difference.

One neat thing we saw on the fish finder was a very obvious building foundation with several *big* fish suspended right next to it -- we saw a wall about 3 ft tall coming up from the bottom, then the fish, then another wall about 30 seconds later. Of course, we didn't have any marker buoys with us and don't have a GPS so we'll probably never find it again. But it was neat to actually see something that *know* would have been a good place to set up and fish. We've come a long way in using the fish finder over the last few months...

I think I mentioned this before, but at this point, we don't have any idea where we should be looking for fish in the lake. Any tips?

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Going out today, hopefully the wind dosen't get too strong until later on. They are calling for it to be nice out other than that. Will let you know how it went later. Marty sounds like that foundation structure will be good if you can find it again.

10. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Went yesterday afternoon , 2 to 4 pm. caught 1 flathead about 6 lb. 1 bite
    . mouth of sac and osage.
    Flatheads should be starting to move.

11. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    Mr. T;It is good to hear that you have learned and are improving your skills on your graph, fish-finder, etc. Where are the cats you ask. Look in cove mouths in late afternoon when baitfish are in warmer waters. We have been doing fine on blues and flats who have bluegills, shad, crappies, etc in their stomachs. It may sound gross, but look in the stomachs of your catch to see what they are eating.

Example of cove mouth fishing. The coves across the Osage from G-14 launch ramp. Those mouths have been excellent during the last few weeks as are similar cove mouths all over Truman. This time of year I stop drift fishing because it is a scientific fact that...the waters on the bottom of the river and lake are colder this time of year because the waters are getting ready to "turn over" due to weather change. Right now bottom waters are denser and contain less oxygen and that is why the fish down there are lethargic and unwilling to bite. They are resting there because their guts arefull of food and the slower current takes little effort to suspend there.

We have been catching crappies, 1lb+ and hybrids in mouth coves because it all goes back to what I preach all the time. Think like a baitfish. Big fish eat little fish so go where the little fish are. The huge schools of baitfish in travel lanes are safe because they are traveling above lethargic predators who are not interested in eating, plus those bait fish schools are in the 'thermocline' warmer waters above the predators. Good to hear you are learning to use your electronics.

Hint; to increase your probability of having to clean fish, have legal limb lines prepared and set them up on trees and limbs before you prowl the waters looking for those bait fish. The cats are biting but they are in the fall pattern. Resting in colder, darker water during day, moving to warmer water during low light conditions at dusk because the bait fish move into warmer waters to eat plankton.

Before I go fishing this time of year I consider,(1) which way is wind blowing,warm winds from south or cold winds from north. (2) sunny or cloudy (3) if I was a shad where would I go to eat plankton (2) how much lake trafiic where I'm going. 15 minutes of planning and looking at a lake map will change whether you clean fish or come home empty handed. Fishing is fantastic this time of year but drop the summer fishing patterns and think like a shad who wants to eat plankton.

Today we cleaned four nice bluecats who were feeding in the edges of crappie beds. We limited out on crappies and hybrids plus brought home 92 total lbs. of bluecats. Fall patterns are in effect.

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good to see you back on here Dioedman, glad to here your haveing some good fishing. Going out again tomorrow to try truman. Went to LOZ monday for a couple of hours, lots of wind and no luck. The fall paterns should be kiking in with the cooler weather starting.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the pointers, Diodeman. Still find it hard to think like a baitfish since I hardly know a thing about them...

So without giving me an exact GPS coordinate :D what part of the coves do you fish in? Among the trees or in cleared areas? How far back? How deep? Do you put your bait on the bottom or suspended? Afternoon? Evening? Late night? What are you using for bait these days? Live bluegill? Cut shad?

From what little I know about shad, I'd expect them to be on the upwind side of the lake, either way back in the coves or along shallow flats where the water is warmer. Am I close?

But even if I find the shad, I'm not sure how to go about finding the catfish -- we seem to see a lot of shad schools with big blobs below them yet we seldom get bites.

And everyone talks about the "fall pattern" as if we all naturally know what that is. I'lll be the first to admit I don't have a clue what that means...

BTW -- all those metal bars nailed to the trees in the cove across from G14 aren't yours are they? Somebody went to a lot of trouble to set up a bunch of places to hang limblines...

14. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    I never leave metal or anything else in the lake that I don't take home with me each time I leave. I find more abandoned trot lines that I remove because they remain unattended and are not labeled or legal. Just try getting one of those hidden illegal S.O.B.'s out of your prop once or twice!

Let's addres your questions.

(1). Locations, where was that underwater foundation you came across, go buy yourself a GPS locator and learn to use it. Keep a little booklet, (I use waterproof paper and pen bought from Brigade Quartermasters) with co-ordinates in it because alot of time GPS units crap out or my 10yr.old nephew thinks it's a gameboy and wipes out everything and you lose the stored info. In that booklet start an index with #'s indicating success of location such as #1=poor #10=excellent, time of year=abbreviation,Sp,Su,F,W, fish found, weather=sunny,cloudy,rain,storms,etc.

(2). Use GPS to locate crappie beds you find. Today we put in 23 crappie beds on Truman, GPS'd them. Hard work but pays off.

Fall patterns. Simply put, water on lake or river bottom becomes denser and colder and as these deeper waters get colder eventually will rise to top of lake thus you hear the expression the "lake is turning over." Usually when lake or river turns over it takes about 4-6 days during which fishing sucks. You know when water is turning over because you will visibly see muck, dead moss and scum floating on top that was once on the bottom, this is evidence that oxygen in water is relocating due to thermo-dynamics, this is normal and good for all bodies of water. So aside from this scientific B.S. what does all that mean to you!

Plankton congregate in warmer waters followed by predators. Warmer waters are found by looking at lake maps and considering water temps, sunlight etc.

I am at, diodeman@iland.net , send me an address by private e-mail and I will send you detailed easy to follow info. by mail, you will be pleasantly surprised. I am not soliciting or selling anything, you don't ask, you don't recieve free info. You may see me somewhere out on Truman or L.O.Z. and I come in with 40 to 50 fish, the legal limit of all species and you are among the many who are frustrated simply because you don't know where to fish and when. You may ask me, "Where did you catch those? and I will reply, "In the side of the mouth."

I have fished these waters since 1978, my freezer right now is full of all legal limits of all species and I am having crappies for dinner because they are thick in the beds right now. Put out your own beds, GPS them. Crappie beds are the #1 attractor for monster catfish anytime of the year. The blues are hanging around the beds we put in last year. Easy catching right now. Flatheads Love crappie beds especially at night. Easy pickings. 3:42p.m. spent the day putting in new beds, time to go fish the old ones and work off the fried crappie and potatoe pancakes I just stuffed myself with. Goin fishin...bye!

15. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Managed to catch about 9 eaters today drifting in front of G14. All in about 30 ft of water, mostly on shad heads and some on whole shad. Water surface temp is still holding near 58 degrees.

Also caught one small one while anchored at the mouth of that big cove across from G14, again in about 30 ft of water. We didn't see squat on the fish finder any time the water was less than 26 ft deep or so.

Had my handheld aviation GPS with me and mapped each pass of our drift, marking any time we caught a fish. Caught most of them in just about the same place. Guess a smart person would have anchored there, but the wind was freezing cold and I figured moving with it would keep the chill off just a little bit...

We were planning on fishing for crappie but couldn't find a bait shop that was open and had minnows for sale. Guess it's a little late in the season for minnows...

16. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just got back from 3 days fishing on Truman, Thur-Sat.

It wasn't great fishing, but we did catch 14 on Saturday with a big of 15 lbs. On Friday, I caught a 18 lber. I got a good taste for drifting and plan to come back for more!

17. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Anyone ever fish the Sac river arm of the lake. If so where are some good places to go

18. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I do fish the sac, try at the mouth of the sac/osage. If you need some company let me know I fish it alot. Several good spots.

19. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Jim, you been out there lately? I've been busy the last week with the holiday stuff and haven't been out. Time to wear some turkey off, give me a holler and well go chase ol' moby around.

20. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    The mouth to 82 bridge seem to be where, most of the bigger ones, are caught, 70 some lb flathead, just above the the mouth, this year, in osecola papper, bigger blues dont seem to run up sac very far.
    Hey Troy, seen A 50 plus,Flat dressed out at Talley Bend. Ramp.and some smaller ones. hearing rumors few catches showing up,