Truman Lake blue catfish are biting!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by diodeman, Mar 5, 2007.

1. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    The harsh winter weather has killed thousands of shad which are floating along the shallows and the blues are gorging themselves on them. As of 3/5 I have been catching blues daily in the warmed shallows 4 to 20 feet deep along sun warmed rock bluffs and across sun exposed mud bottoms where there are huge numbers of threadfin and gizzard shad feasting on the plankton which is starting to bloom in the sun warmed waters.

I have had no problems finding shad to net, this years shad numbers are way up which will contribute to huge catfish. I am bringing in 40 to 50 lbers. off of Truman and they are hitting the shad as that is the current prolific food source. Flatheads are still hybernating but should soon start moving.

Problem: Due to the prolific numbers of shad a better bait source is recommended at this time and is available; sunfish-perch bluegills-all types of sunfish are what's bringing in the bigger blues because the meat is sweeter, oilyer and the blues prefer it over shad.

The sunfish can be caught using the prepared small white fake 'maggots' sold in stores, Berkley and others make it. Its time tested, works great for small fish and not messy. The sunfish are along banks in cover or along rocky areas and are already out in large numbers.

The blues are out and hitting sunfish and shad, ladies and gentlemen get your gear cleaned, your reels lubed, check your lines and knots. Yesterday on the upper Osage of Truman I watched the boat shadowing me (because I was bringing in 20lb+ blues and my largest was 46lbs.) and the guy got a 30lber to his boat and lost it when his line snapped as he was trying to net the fish. Check your equipment or cry, he cursed alot!

This weeks warm weather will really turn them on.

Truman has the 'Blues' right now!

Diodeman

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Now this is what I wanted to hear!!!!!I am planning to make a trip down there this coming weekend. I hope they are still hitting. Thanks fore the great info.

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Great information, I'm going to try to get out the week and hope I have as good of luck as you have had.

4. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    Despite the prolific numbers of shad available the blues have shown a preference for sunfish, especially bluegills. Flatheads prefer live bait but not so with blues.

Tested bait method: fillet your bluegill as you would a crappie, cut down below the head and place knife along bones and cut to the tail removing the entire fillet with the skin left on (no bones), do both sides. Cut the head off. Turn both fillets together with the skins to the inside so that the fillets are back to back 'inside out' (leaving the skin on keeps the fillets on the hook), now repeatedly thread the double fillets on to the hook from one end to the other so that the fillet is on the hook for the entire length of the hook and hiding the hook. Place the head on the end of the hook with the hook end exposed.

Now you have an 'inside out' bluegill thus all of the oily smells from the exposed meat permeate the water and ring the dinner bell for fish. This works especially well if there is current or for trolling slowly because the oil and smells of the exposed meat draws the fish in.

Problem You may get tired of catching blue catfish as this has worked for me on Truman Lake since 1979.

Diodeman

5. trashman

trashman New Member

State:
    buffalo
    hey thanks for the info bub . i will be out on the lake this weekend

6. catcrappie

catcrappie New Member

State:
    missouri
    sounds great, just uncovered my boat, and charged the batteries, mine have been charged and waiting, thanks guys