Truman Dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by duckalot, May 14, 2007.

1. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looks like they got clearance to fire up the generators today.
    13,600 cfs generation and 250cfs spillway.
    If anyones fishing this week keep us posted and pass on your fishing report. I can't go until Fri. but if it gets good I may take off Fri. and go down Thur. night. I will probably have to drive around flood water.
    There is still water from Waverly to Carrollton,Not a pretty sight.
    Good Luck
    Rob

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The forecast shows them kicking the water release up to about 44,000 CFS in a day or two. Not sure what that will do to the fishing, but it's more water than they've released in a few years...

One thing's for sure: you'll need lots of rope and a heavy anchor if you want to stay put...

3. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    Yea, I'm afraid we will go from no current to more then a guy can stand.
    I can't remember what year it was when Truman got real high and they ran water for so long. From the Dam all the way past Drake Harbor was wild white water. It was a challenge but we caught a lot of nice fish.
    If they start dumping that kind of water that will put a stop to the drift fishing. I guess we will see, I don't think the Missouri River will be fish-able here for a while.
    Rob

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City

why not??????????

5. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    Still over the levees down this way. For casted to fall below flood stage some time on Fri. Just a guess but Ill bet it will be another week before we get access to the river in Waverly or Miami. There are Literally hundreds of acres of water that have to drain off fields. And that wont happen until the river gets below flood stage. I hope I am wrong but i just don't think We will be on the river here for a while. Good Luck

6. Bait Eater

Bait Eater New Member

State:
    southwest missouri
    I was talking to someone in Warsaw today and said little water was being let out of Truman

7. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I just got an e-mail from Steve Brown's wife. (he's a guide from Warsaw) She said their not letting much through yet. But Steve's ready to go when they do!

8. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    I talk to him last Friday, He was out with a client then and wasn't doing to good at all, but they weren't running any water at all at the time.
    I was afraid they would really start blowing out the water but I just looked and they are not running much at all(250 cfs) so I don't know whats going on. All I know is I cant stand to wait another week, I took off work Friday and I am going down to fish Thursday night and Friday. Low of 45 degrees might be a little chilly? Beats sweating all night swatting bugs
    :big_smile:

9. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Im going up in the morning but it sounds like they may be really releasing some large amounts of water. It took 9oz of lead last time it was that
    high. But we caught some fish!!

10. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    Good Luck Cut bait, I will be in a 20 ft. camo Seaark. Give me a shout if you see me around.

11. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Please sign me up thanks

12. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    Fished all night Thur. and until Noon today (Fri.) Caught Nine fish, Biggest being 19 pounds another one around 10 lbs. every thing else was 2 to 4 lbs. They were really cranking the water out when I left. I had a lot of short bites, they would smack it once or twice and thats all.(could have been something besides blues?) Bait was hard to come by, one here one there. I was getting pretty careless to were I threw my net and paid the price, Tore a big hole in one so I got my new one out and lost it on the third throw
    :angry: All in all had a good time. I don't get the chance to go through the week very often. It was nice not to many boats on the water. Water is off the parking lot at the Miami access (Missouri River) so maybe I can get back on my home waters soon.
    Good Luck
    Rob

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds like you did OK - you have to wade through quite a few small ones to find the monster, but eventually he'll show up..

Might have been channel cats, but most likely, just small blues. That type of bite is pretty typical for that area. You could try downsizing to smaller bait and smaller hooks, but then you'll just be stuck taking the dinks off your line all the time.

Been there, done that. I've ruined 6 nets since the middle of last December. Two of them on the first throw. Sometimes it happens like that.

You can usually find bait at the mouths of the coves - I'm partial to White Branch cove (first cove on your right, downstream from the Hwy 65 bridge). Some folks like to look farther downstream, in the Cole Camp Creek area but I've never tried in that area. There should also be shad in the harbor at Warsaw most of the time, but it's a matter of finding them - if there's a lot of boat traffic, they get scattered. And I've seen folks net shad upstream from the other Warsaw boat ramp on the east bank, but have never tried it myself.

With the water they're running now, the fishing ought to really pick up. And since the lake is 16 ft above normal pool, I'm guessing they'll be running water for a long time. Wish I could get down there this weekend but I'm all tied up here. Next chance for me might be Memorial Day Monday...

14. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    MRT what’s the story on that fish in your avatar.
    Give some details on that monster!!!

15. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
  16. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
  17. Jason G

Jason G New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hello I am From KCKS and have never fished truman. I am thinking about heading out below the dam this evening is there a close boat ramp that is open and any ideas where to catch bait??? Any help would be great!! Thanks..

18. insanedrifter

insanedrifter New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you go down below truman try hitting the covers along the river for bait. last weekend the bait was some what easy to get in about 3-10 foot of water. Not much in the current. Try fishing above the 65 hwy bridge.

19. limitedlate55k

limitedlate55k New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i went down to the dam this past weekend and didnt get a bite, they shut the gates off, i looked down over the dam and there was i kid not THOUSANDS of carp swarming all over the place, maybe they are spawing i dont know, dont fish for them, it was a cool, thing to see, ive never seen that many fish together before.

20. crashawk

crashawk New Member

State:
    missouri
    about 2 weeks ago we was fishing on the gate side for stripers throwing out 1 ounce jigs and my brother his a big catfish, probably in the 35 or 40 pound range, saw him surface a couple of times before he spit the jig back (shouldave sharpened the hook).

I know what you all mean about the nets, I lost one about 3 years ago on the gate side all the way up against the fence, last year I caught it on my rod and reeled it up. it wasn't worth using anymore but at least I got the weights.

just how many ounces does it take to hold in that current? (or for that matter get it down before the current takes you downstream)

Jason