Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hotline says they are only runnin 250 cfs through the spillway... does that mean the gates are open? doesnt seem like the water is movin very fast anybody know if they are runnin water or what?

· Registered
1,979 Posts
hotline says they are only runnin 250 cfs through the spillway... does that mean the gates are open? doesnt seem like the water is movin very fast anybody know if they are runnin water or what?
There generation schedule shows up to four units today, back to zero before midnight.
That will make some current, but the 250 from the spill-gates wont make a ripple on the water. I hope by the weekend they will be releasing.

· Registered
3,549 Posts
The fish will move up to the dam to spawn Mike. With heavy discharge thru the generators and running water thru the spillways gates making high oxygen levels it really pulls them up. Should be timed about right, looks like we can start seeing some good flow in the next couple days. My guess is by this week end if they keep it going we should see some nice fish posted. When they start running 30,000 to 60,000 cfs you need a good boat, 16 footer imo or better with a good anchor and 100-150 feet of anchor line to hold well. Shad are normally in the harbor especially after dark, also the cove below the harbor on the right and the next cove below that on the right. Above the harbor on the left is a drainage pipe that holds shad usally, also the old river channel right below the dam.

· Registered
17 Posts
They were scheduled to start runnin 32000 cfs however they also said nothing is set in stone bc of the rain and considering they got over 2in in souther month and suppose to get another inch today makes me think saturday will be the day. I caught some shad at the harbor when the wind is outta of the south they hang out around the new dock. We have been catching good numbers of shad, drum, of the handicap dock and docks in the slack water at night.I hope they start lettin water out with a gate open cause I wanna see some foam on top of the water! Anytime that happens you really can only fish with one rod cause they bite so good!

· Registered
1,449 Posts
The weather is crazy, but I would sure like to catch a big blue! This time of year is an excellent chance even if I get wet! I cast some 3-4-6 oz sinkers for donation to the rock gods. From reading, I am curious if a deep crankbait tipped with shad or just fish worms would work. Trying things is always fun, but sometimes fish will hit anything or nothing. Thanks again and I will be the chunky old guy in an old 20' jon (white background on the letters).

G

·
I have my fingers crossed, for Monday. I took off from work and round 3:30 am I will head down( Monday morning)
From what Scotty said about the KK flats the wind maybe too high for me.. Don't like big waves.
So I may try below the dam, if they are flowing water. I can hope, after the rain last night..

· Registered
1,449 Posts
Thanks! I have some old divers from an estate sale at 50 cents apiece and thought that they might work if I was out of a boat. However, snagged is never fun. Good tip. Figured that I would loose a bunch of sinkers from a 3 way rig anyway. Rain here and probably there. Will 5-6 oz hold the current fishing downstream? I have 8's too.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah rob we went the other night... only got two fish but only fished the current for about a half hour... the bites were crazy when the current was goin! we are headin down all night tomoro hopibn to get a hog... anyone else goin look for us in a 18 ft lowe with black rod holders out the back stioo and shoot the chit for a bit!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.