Truman Blue Cats Still Biting

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by diodeman, Dec 29, 2005.

1. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    Big fish eat little fish...we have been catching crappie in sun warmed waters, the crappie are feeding on baitfish. Bluecats are eating the crappies and everything else that swims. Yesterday on Truman we limited on bluecats with the biggest being 44lbs, the rest in the 30lb. range. We caught blues again today. What are we using for bait? The dead shad that floated against the shores of Truman Lake during the early spring die off. It is frozen whole and we cut up chunks and throw it into sun warmed waters under bobbers so the smell can drift in the current. Look for the bait fish and you'll find the blues which are still biting! Go get'em guys because they are still biting in warm waters. My neighbor boy took my advice and caugt a 41lb. blue in Drake harbor yesterday, on a Zebco 303 loaded with 12lb. test, a flimsy crappie hook and frozen shad chunk! That 14 yr. old boy is mighty proud! And he said to me, "You were right Roger, big fish do eat little fish!"
    diodeman

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Man, I have got to make it to Truman and give it a try sometime. It's only 2 1/2 hours there, but I've never been. I fish Grand Lake, Okla and the Neosho river in Kansas...the fishing is good here in the spring. Maybe next summer I'll try to go and perhaps get a guide on truman to get to know the lake a little.

I watched Roland Martin here awhile back blue cat fishing on Truman. He was catching some hawg blues. I wrote down the guides number at the end of the show...I have it somewhere.

I've heard the wiper fishing is great as well. That's another thing I'd like to try there. Those wiper are a blast to catch. You ever try any of the wiper fishing there on Truman?

3. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    What are you calling wiper ? I have fished truman all my life there is no wipers on truman

4. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    He is talking about hybreds in kansas they started calling them wipers because they can wipe out light tackle when you catch one. :)

5. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Not sure why they call them Wipers here. (and other places too.) I always figured it was because they are a whitebass/striper hybrid....put the two names together...hence wiper. They sure will tear the hell out of light tackle though. The first time I tangled with the hybrids, I was wadefishing for channel cats with chicken liver in a riffle like I do every spring, and have all my life. That was the first year the wiper made it up the river. Man those things love liver. I couldn't keep them off my line. And fight...OMG!! The first day, they tore up my reel. I came back the next day with a new reel and braid line, and caught them one after the other for a week straight. Ever since then, I look forward to when the hybrids show up amongst the whitebass and their spawning run.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Brian, yep we have wipers. Big ones up to 20 + pounds. Man they will scream your drag. I catch a lot below the dam on sassy shads. Drifting live shad on the lake is another good way, and top water is a blast when they are busting the top. Stop at the station bait shop on the west side of the dam, they have many mounts in there and usally know where there biting. Your right there called wipers or hybrids because they are a cross between stripers and white bass. You can tell them by there horizontal stripes they are broken, a white bass or striper horizontal stripes are solid.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Looks like Sunday is supposed to be a great day - temps in the low 60's - seems like a good way to start the new year would be to head down to the lake and follow Diodeman's advice. So I will. Or at least, I'll try - we came up dry last time out, though we did have a few bites.

Roger -- are you fishing below the dam or above? Shallow or deep? Coves? Bluffs? Throw me a bone, man! I'm still trying to learn how to catch these blue cats, but it's like trying to solve a Nancy Drew mystery with just a couple of clues... I can't catch a fish to save my life and you're limiting out on 30 lbers every day. Pretty frustrating...

I've heard the crappie bite is great just below the dam (presumably in the old channel) but have never fished there (or at least, not in the last 20 years...) -- Any suggestion as to whether that might be a better place to go than up on Truman lake?

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Troy...we get the hybrids up the Neosho river here from April until July. They chase the shad upstream as they make their annual run. The whitebass and the wiper are first to arrive as they are perpetually chasing the massive schools of Gizzard shad. The blues are next. I have gotten several wiper over 10 lb...my biggest is 13 lb. I have lost two fish over 20 lb though, and have heard of a few 20 lb catches...so they're in there. They're just hard to land if you're not prepared. A 20 lb wiper (Or even a 10 lb for that matter) Vs. an ultra lite rigged for whitebass with 6 lb test just isn't gonna cut it in the Neosho river. The action can be quite fast at times...but it is seasonal. It never lasts long enough for me. How's the action past July there at Truman for hybrids? I'd love to give it a try sometime...I've heard nothing but good things about Truman.

You're right about the stripe pattern being broken and offset on a wiper versus continuous stripes for whitebass and striper. Another way you can tell the difference between a whitebass and a wiper is that a whitebass has one tooth patch on its tounge. A wiper will have two tooth patches.

9. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    Winter patterns make fishing a challenge. I am currently fishing in 10 to 4 foot depths in areas that have been sun-warmed, are not wind blown and with moderate cover. Dark rip-rap, boulders and dark bluff faces will absorb day long sunlight, the ambient heat of warmed waters also bring out crayfish etc. and increase baitfish activity so the cats hunt these areas. The cats are approaching these areas through travel lanes that allow them to sneak up on baitfish. These travel lanes must have camoflage like dark rock, dark bottoms, craggy bluff faces, brush or trees that hide the cats so they can travel up on the baitfish which are sunning and feeding on plankton in warmer waters.

Bluecats on Truman are still biting but they are finicky and hard to predict. We are catching cats on rod & reel, baiting with cut chunks of frozen shad floated beneath bobbers with bait positioned midway between surface and bottom.

We have not caught a flathead during December yet we can locate with sonar the big fish that are obviously hybernating on the bottom and will not bite bait or chum when it is dropped on their heads or scattered amongst them. Blues are able to tolerate cooler waters and are still responding to feeding patterns.

Frozen shad floated off the bottom is excellent at this time because the oils from the fish spread out in the water.

If you want to get the dinner bell on your bait sounding loud go buy cod liver oil that has NO ADDITIVES, available in any drug store. Spray or soak your bait in it. Don't buy the mint flavored stuff, I have never caught a cat that had a breath mint in its mouth or guts! Cod liver oil is one of the best bait attractants on the market and it won't ruin lures. Crappie and basses like cod liver oil.

When you see all the dead shad along the shorelines of lakes in February and March go pick-up a bushel basket full, freeze them in some water in a freezer bag so they do not get freezer burn, use them for spare fall and winter bait. The frozen shad tears up easily so frequent re-baiting will be necessary. Frozen shad is worthless in warmer months when fresh shad is readily available and the cats don't mind burning body fat chasing live bait but in winter when the shad are tougher to locate and the cats do not want to expend too much body fat chasing food they love frozen shad dressed with cod liver oil.

Fishing this time of year can be frustrating but the bluecats are still roaming after baitfish, figuring out where the baitfish are is the tough part.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Brian,
    They seem to hit year around here. I think they are a cold water fish anyway and they feed heavy on the warm sunny days all thru the winter. It's just a matter of locating them. I like to troll crank baits for them too, and yes you definetly know when one is on LOL. I usally use wally divers and shad raps.
    Come on over and we will chase some around.

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Sounds great to me Troy. I love to catch blues and flathead...but I'm never disappointed when I hook a wiper. I'll be taking you up on that offer sometime. Let me know when a good time is for you, and I'll use a vacation day and show up.