True story about filling up at the gas stations.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Angelkitty, May 7, 2008.

1. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    This was sent to me in an email.
    This is a true story, so read it carefully. On April 24, 2008, I stopped at a Kangaroo

BP gas station, , Cartersville, GA. My truck's gas gauge was on 1/4 of a tank. I use the mid-grade, which was priced at $3.71 per gallon. When my tank is at this point, it takes somewhere around 14 gallon's to fill it up. When the pump showed 14 gallons had been pumped I began to slow it down, then to my surprise
    it went to 15, then 16. I even looked under my truck to see if it was being spilled. It was not. Then it showed 17 gallons had been pumped. It stopped at almost 18 gallons. This was very strange to me, since my truck has only an 18 gallon tank. I went on my way a little confused, then on the evening news I heard a report that 1 out of 4 gas stations had calibrated their pumps to show more gas had been pumped than a person actually got.
    Here is how to check a pump to see if you are getting the right amount:
    Whichever grade you are using, put EXACTLY 10 GALLONS in your tank, then look at the dollar amount, if the dollar amount is not EXACTLY 10 times the price of the fuel you have chosen, then the pumps are rigged. In my case as I said the mid-grade was $3.71 9/10 per gallon, my dollar amount for 10 gallons should have been $37.19. If I had only check the pump. It doesn't matter where you pump gas, please check the 10 gallon price. If you do find a station that is cheating, contact the Georgia Agriculture Departmen t, and direct your comments to Tommy Irvin, Commissioner. In other states contact proper authorities.
    Please don't delete this until you have sent it to all people in your address book. We need to put a stop to this outrageous cheating of customers. The gas companies are making enough profits at honest rates.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

hum. i think i might just pump another 10 on the ground and light it up as i drove off.

it wouldnt supprize me to tell ya the truth.:angry:

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Record profits and crying the blues. Gas is 12 cents a gallon in Venenuzeuala..however ya spell it. More oil in the Rockie Mountains than all the camels combined over there. Yet we need jobs and import oil at the same time. SHAME ON AMERICA I never would have though of myself saying these words.

4. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If the pump is mis-calibrated or broken it will lie about the gallons too. The dollar amount is just an electronic multiplication of the gallons, so the "10 gallon check" doesn't really tell you much.

Next time you get gas for the mower in your 5 gallon tank, see if you really get 5 gallons. That's essentially what the state inspector does. But there are too many pumps and too few inspectors to keep up with them.

Most of the time the mis-calibration is not deliberate, and the gas station owner probably doesn't have the technical expertise to rig it. They just don't maintain the equipment very well. The state inspectors may not get around more than a couple of times a year.The owner is not likely to call for service unless HE comes up short on gas.

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think the fact that we have to check to see if we are being cheated is outrageous, somebody has to keep a closer eye on these rip off tactics against the American consumer,isn`t the price of gas enough,now we have to watch so we get what we paid for.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    believe me. if it goes over $4.00 here im just gonna take cans. fill them and then pour in truck. if i have to pay $5.00 ill darn sure get 5gal or ill be calling someone right at the pump. i would loose a day of work to get a station fined for ripping off coustomers. be sure, they would have you arrested for stealing a candybar.:angry:

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The biggest rip off is the "true story" emails that circualte by the 1000's.
    Those things are the largest carrier of diseases your computer doesn't want.
    Dont open those things. Delete them and stop the cycle.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya most are on snopes as false. guess this one hasnt been checked yet?

90 % i dont believe. this one though wouldnt suprize me.

well here it is.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/cheating.asp

really not proven true or false. and i only see em here. i never open pass it on e-mails. all you normally get is a lie or virus.

and oz. in venesuala it may take a week to earn $.12 ,lol

9. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I watched a t.v. show where inspectors were going around and checking pump volumes. and, there were several of them that were rigged to cheat you. some of them were rigged in pretty sophisticated ways. one had a switch or valve or something that they could turn off when they seen an inspector, or knew they were being evaluated. so, it's not by accident that some of them are ripping us off. In the e-mail. it was stated all you have to do is multiply the dollar amount by the price per gallon. this will do nothing to confirm any shortage. they trick the pump into thinking it's flowing more than it is. It may show 10 gallons, but your only getting a little over 9...

10. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    I can say this, I have noticed that at one service station here, 3.41 a gallon, I stopped the pump at that price 3.41, and it was not even a gallon of gas. Talked to the manager and all she said was call the main office. Well I never got no where. So I don't stop there anymore.:angry:

11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    on 9/11 in mt vernon, one gas station raised their price to 5 a gallon for an entire day. then they got busted and had to pay it all back. serves em right. i just wish there was a way we could all boycott gas and still be able to go on with our daily lives.

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The lack of them being regulated is the cause of all of this.

13. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Thanks for the heads up. I rarely pump ten gallons of gas at a time anymore, I can't afford it!

14. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I remember that Shane. Same crap happened up in the crappy parts of North Dakota. Bad this was, you had no choice but to pay it! Not enough gas stations to choose from.