True Story - 3 Pound Crappie!

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by cat-chaser, Jan 20, 2006.

1. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I recently started fishing an old farm pond in Ne Louisiana thats full of crappie (white purch to the natives). There also a lot of bass. Anyway, there's some really deep water in this 4-5 acre pond/lake- deep like 30+ feet in some spots. I've had some success deep & shallow on cold and warm days, but never too many in 1 day. One of my most surprising catches was a "slab" of close to 3lbs that I caught tightlining from the bank in about 20ft water. Thing is, I was catfishing with a big shiner (crushed to bleed) and tipped with a whole earthworm on a 3/0 circle hook. My rod was nearly jerked into the water when the fish hit. I thought I had a big cat or a grinnel (bowfin) which are extremely numerous in this neck of the woods. Imagine my surprise when I pulled out a slab. This just happened a couple of days ago and I just had to share it with ya'll.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Cat, I am from Start, Louisiana orginally, I still have family in that area. What town are you from? When the I-20 was built the road crews dug many of the ponds the pond for the dirt to build up the road bed. I have had very good luck in those ponds.:) :)

3. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Thing about Loisiana, you drop a hook in the water and younever know what's going to hit it.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Congrats on the catch.I have caught 2 crappie over 18 inches in my life,but they both were post-spawn and light weights.Are they close to the spawn in La?

5. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    Top Sgt, I'm near Tallulah and yes, there are a lot of those lakes around here that are full of fish-as matter of fact,the one I'm speaking of is right off the highway. I'm now trying to figure out what makes the water levels rise & fall without seeing a creek or stream feeding into it. The crappie around here usually begin to spawn around mid-late February and the fishing can be outstanding.Only problem is there are so many grinnel in these waters & they really like jigs & shiners,too. Its not good when you're ultralight fishing and hook into a 10lb grinnel (fun to fight with,though).

6. fishn_maniac

fishn_maniac New Member

State:
    Al
    Ive seen some 1lb. and a halfs but never a 3 pounder.Nice post

7. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    In March, 2004, I fished Turkey creek on Grenada Lake. There was a small tree in the water by the bank. I'd fished around it for a while without any luck. I finially casted my minnow beyond the tree and reeled the float back to the trunk. It sat for a few seconds before going under. It was a nice white about 2#. I could let the float drift into the limbs and bring out a white or drift into the roots and catch a black. The day ended with 13 fish in the cooler. smallest being 2# the largest, almost 3 1/2.

New rules will apply at the lake starting this March, 06. Creel limit will be 15. Slot limit will start at 12". They are turning the lake over to tourney fishing.

8. billyl

billyl New Member

State:
    TN
    Congratulations on the catch!

9. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Congrats on the catch. Is there any pictures of it that you could post?

10. ejones1961

ejones1961 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    congratulations, nice fish

11. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Congrats on the nice fish.