true or false

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, May 10, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    an abue line capacity is 120 yards, they say blues you need 300 in the missisipie, true or fals, i aint got no 300 yards on any reel but my penn, but it dont cast far

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Where did you hear that the line capacity is only 120 yards it really depends on the pound test line you are using. Like the 6500 c3's say 275 of 14lb test and so on that is one reason I use braid because it has a smaller diameter.IMO

I would think it really depends on the current and if your fishing from a boat and what kind of structure your fishing in also what kind of hooks, line, reel and rod your using if you can horse them in or if you need to let them fight and run a bunch.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The Abu Garcia 6000/6500 series reels have a capacity of 245 yards of 14 pound test. I use 100# Power Pro on mine, and get plenty on it for our relatively small, Great Pee Dee River. I feel the the mighty Mississippi would justify the extra line capacity of an Abu Garcia 7000 series reel. Just MHO.

Bill in SC

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i can spool my pro rocket up all the way with 150 yards of 50 braid, will that do it for the missisipie, 150 is all it handels, a flathead is no problem with 50 yards just keep him up, but them blues will pull your dragg out like mad i hear, dont wanna chance it by not having the line

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I bank fish the Mississippi and use 6500c3 and 6500 Pro Rockets and use #65 Power Pro. I also use 12' rods and the #65 casts very nice. I also have the 700 Pro Rocket spooled with #65 Power Pro. I have had no problem with blues up to #50. I may get spooled with and #80-#100 blue, but I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there. Good luck.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    What size pro rocket? How much room do you have left over after filling it up with 150 yards? Maybe you just need to buy a bigger spool of line. Or maybe put some backing down first then put the braid on. All I can say is my abu's hold a heck of a lot more line then what your saying.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    SO IT WOULDENT BE WISE TO GO TO THE MISSISIPIE WITH 100 TO 150 YARDS OF LINE,, MABY ILL STAY IN THE CANAL, SO IT CANT RUN ME OUT DEEP, 100 YARDS WILL HOLD ON THE CANNAL, I GOT 200 ON MY POEN FACE MAPY ILL SWAP REELS ,

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Shoot, I'd go if I was you. Don't let that keep ya from going. Whats the worst that can happen? You get a Blood pumping, heartstopping, Freight train run that spools you, or breaks off. I'd rather be involved in that, instead of wishing i would have went but didn't.

But thats just me!:wink:

9. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    i heard that, you make it down this way get ahold of me. id like to fish with you some time brother. i have a boat we can get out about anywere. never really caught any monsters, but i only have 150 yards of 36 # catfish braid on my rigs.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I plan on getting me a couple of the ABU's this year.....I've heard nothing but great remarks about them.

I have a couple of really big reels that hold 590 yards of 20# mono or 330 yards of 30# mono....so I loaded them up with 40#.....I guess they probably got over 240 yards easily.:cool2:

11. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    If your directing that offer to me, The Mississippi is definitely on my "to do" list. Along with a couple other places in the midwest and a trip for the Mekong and Wels, to name a few. Just a matter of getting time to Get-R-Done! LOL !!

12. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    no telling . the more the better a miss river blue weighing 50 plus pounds hits the current 300 yards aint gonna be enough you will have to drop anchor and follow with a boat or run really fast down the river bank lol lmao :crazy::crazy:

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well ill find out, thats why im gona fish the canal

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm not buying it.....300 yards should be enough to land a really big fish.:eek:oooh:

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well ill find out, if ill be despooled, i know a breching 50 pound flat was hard to get in, without being woried about line abrasion but as far as the fight it wasent nohing but some time

16. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa

I caught quite a few in the 50's. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I can't speak for the big muddy, but Sometimes they just curl that tail and come in like a log, other times it's on and it's like a fresh water freight train. now I know the Mississippi is known for having some big cats in the 100+ range. Far as that goes I can't speak from experience you might have your hands full there. LOL. Either way I'd go and not think anything of it. See if you can find a nice eddy or something that will hold the bait. You find the bait, you'll find the fish.

Shoot, maybe the first time, hook up with a guide. Most guides will offer advice and show ya how they do it. If you would happen to go that route, just act like a sponge and absorb what they are doing and telling ya. Might cut down on the learning curve a good bit.

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    its just a bummer that central illinois doesent hold big blues