Trucks

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by zmoon, Jun 12, 2006.

1. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does anyone know or own a Chevy Colorado. I am day dreaming about making that my next vehicle. How does it tow, if i am going to by one i want to make sure it can tow my boat. Let me know if you have any info or perfer one truck over the other

2. Honzy333

Honzy333 New Member

State:
    MO
    What up Zach, If it isn't made by GM it is not a truck! Ford sucks! I have always owned Chevys or GMC's.....reliable. Anyway, what kind of boat do you own, how heavy is it loaded up, how far do you normally tow to get to the launch, do you travel far to fish, will you use it as a daily driver? I own a Sierra and love it, i can't feel the boat behind the truck. but it really depends on what you are trying to tow.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Friend of mine has one does it tow his boat yea does it tow it great nope. He loves his truck without the boat attached to it but when he hooks up he is under powered so it will depend on the weight of your load your towing. He has towed my tracker 18 foot bass boat and had a heck of a time going up this small grade. go with the biggest engine you can get it should be fine. As for the bashing of truck brands well If it aint a Peterbilt it aint a truck LOL.

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Ford = Truck

All orthers = Pick up.

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I find engine size is not that important, everyone use to know that but the auto companies now spend millions talking about big motors to get us to buy them. It's all about the gears, that is what makes a good tower. I'm not saying a big motor is not nice it's just not that simple. I once had a straight 6 in a ford truck that could pull a dozer. I also had a straight 6 in a ford truck that wouldn't pull a toy wagon, IM sure someone who knows how this is done can explain better than I am able.

6. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    oh boy...we done opened up a can of worms...ford guys will always be ford guys, chevy guys will always be chevy guys lol. me, personally, i'm a ford guy. only other truck i would be interested in would be a dodge.

7. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Oh yea I know how gears work believe me lol. With the gearing choices that are avalible it is still wise to invest in the bigger engine. The less a engine has to work the better fuel effecincey it will have.going to to big of a engine cuts back on that too though. I have a ford pickup with the 4.9 (300 cid) inline 6 the one I had before this one carbed got better milage and could tow a friehgt train this one tows ok not a power house by no means and injected. Same gearing. now if i had a small v8 in there it would do better in the towning dept and would get a bit better milage as it wouldnt work as hard to do the same job. Its the same way with my kitty 425 when I cranked her to 500 i get a bit better milage if I keep my foot out of it but when I need the power its there.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Not always... I'm a Ford guy, been buying Ford products including trucks for 50 years, never owned but one Chevy and it's the Avalanche I have now. :big_smile:

9. AllenM

AllenM Guest

LOL! At this point, I don't care if I get a Ford, aChevy, or a TOYOTA, as long as I can get SOMETHING to pull that little tin boat of mine! ROFL!!! I'm pretty tired of bank fishing when I have a perfectly good boat sitting in my driveway and no way of getting it to the water!

10. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    comeon guys, the best thing about a ford is they put a circle around their misteaks!:lol:
    and how can you say truck and dodge in the same sentence?:confused2:
    also who wants to drive something with a cutsie bowtie on the front?:embarassed:
    I guess you could get something that starts off saying its a toy:crazy: ota, whats a real ota?
    OK NOW I"VE Ticked everyone off, lets all go out and get a real truck, A DATSUN!! anyone seen one lately?:roll_eyes:

ps, I'm savin up to get me a tonka!!!:big_smile:
    donations accepted.:lol:

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good point, I also like knowing the power is there.

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm so sorry, Who forced that on you. LOL

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I here you. LOL So the best truck for you is the one that ends up attached to your boat. Good point, we almost forgot what is important, the boat LOL

14. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    well ill throw my two cents in here, i have a dodge dakota 4x4, its a awesome truck, good size and V8 power, i pull my boat all day long like it aint nothing and i got it lifted with superswampers on it.

15. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'll probably offend someone but I've got a 4WD tacoma and I love it.

16. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I've always been partil to small-to mid size pick-up's just for the fuel milage.Did'nt the Chevy Colorado replace the S-10?

17. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like Fords but with the right towing package any truck will pull most boats. I like a bigger engine for those times you need a little extra help.

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Reason.... Ford doesn't make one with the secure bed that can be converted to a regular pickup... I remember it's not a Ford when manually opening a locked door. :eek:oooh: :lol:

20. AllenM

AllenM Guest

You got it, Brother! That's about all I'm gonna be using the thing for anyhow, so all I care about is that it runs reliably, can pull my 14 footer uphill and still maintain something CLOSE to the speed limit, and that it cost me less than a grand to buy it outright. Prolly gonna get something from the local auction yard for $300-$500 this summer and put a few bucks into it.

BTW, I used to drive a Tacoma as a patrol vehicle for a security company. Nice truck! I'd love to have one of those for my own!