Truckerfisher's Bumper Mounted Rod Holders

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Tom Mercer(Truckerfisher) on November 14, 2002

For what it's worth guys here is a little invention of mine that is inexpensive, simple to build, and I think: Practical. Keep in mind that where I primarily fish is on an old lock that is pretty much just a big concrete platform that I can drive out on and back right up to the waters edge that is the reason I have these mounted in the parallel position. They can easily be mounted in whatever position suits your needs according to the design of your bumper. I have an S-10 Chev Blazer with the wrap around Chrome bumper.

The parts you will need are as Follows: 2 ft (or more Of 1 1/4" PVC Pipe.(sched 40 will do and It is cheaper), 2 momentary push button mini switches (mine are radio shack part no.275-1566a) normally closed (in other words, circuit is complete until button is pressed), a roll of 16 gauge wire, tap splices, a toggle switch, and some plastic pull ties.

[​IMG]

The tools required are: a jig saw (with a hobby blade) or hand coping saw, Needle nose pliers, and soldering gun or Iron.

First cut the PVC into 2 12" lengths (or longer if desired) Now measure 3" up and mark line for cutting

[​IMG]

Here Is were the hobby blade in the jigsaw comes in handy as it only extends 1" below the guide so it will not cut the whole Diameter of the pipe. Cut across the pipe and then simply cut two length-wise cuts to the cross cut. (Confused yet?) It should look like this after cutting:

[​IMG]

Next, you need to drill a half inch hole at aprox half the distance of the cut area.

[​IMG]

Notice that I have counter sunk the outside edges of the hole? This can be done with a rasp, file, or pocket knife I did this so that enough of the threads on the switch would extend to put the nut on.

2. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Continued from previous post

Now you are ready to install the switch. You want the push button inside and the contacts outside. I have placed 2 pictures to clarify:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next you are ready to attach it to the bumper. This can be done a number of ways, I used plastic pull ties as the plastic is strong but also absorbs shocks and bumps in the road so nothing is breaking or vibrating loose like nuts and bolts have a tendency to do.

[​IMG]

With that In Place you are now ready to wire the bite indicator. I am using the horn because it is there!!! and I am the ultimate scrounge so if I don’t have to buy something I don't. This can very easily be a small buzzer or light bulb. But if you want to use the horn I'll show you how to do it.

You will need to 1st locate the horn under your hood (sometimes you might have to have someone honk it to locate it) after locating the horn, find the electrical wire to the horn. It is a single wire with a female blade connecter on it and it is usually green or black. Once you have located it follow it back to an area you can get to easy (as they don’t always mount horns in the open).

[​IMG]

I have disconnected My horn for simplicity in the photo but there is no need to disconnect. when you have located the wire insert a tap connecter as shown:

[​IMG]

3. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Continued from previous post

Slip the open end of the connecter over the horn wire and insert 1 end of the 16 gauge wire in the captive side of the connecter as shown:

[​IMG]

Now It Is Just a matter of routing the wire back to the rod holder switch. But somewhere in line you need to install a toggle switch (like the one pictured). Connect the 16 guage wire to one contact on the push button switch and connect the other contact to a good ground. (horn is a grounding circuit).

[​IMG]

The toggle switch in line is so that you can disable this circuit when Not in use.

Because the switches are normally closed, the circuit is broken by inserting the fishing rod in the holder, pressing down the switch. when a bite hits the switch will momentarily close, honking the horn!!!

Here are some pictures of it installed and in use:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that's all there is to it. Total cost of materials $8.59, that’s less than 10 dollars. I'm sure you guys can improve on it or modify it and I welcome all suggestions. I put this together in an afternoon and it works for me. The only thing I am going to add is a light for night fishing when I don't want the horn to honk.

Enjoy guys TF