Truck repair-automatic transmission

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by cook, Aug 31, 2005.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Maybe someone can give me their 2 cents worth.

1988 f-250,460 ci-auto tranny

Yesterday about 2 miles from home my fan belts blew out.I tried to make it home,but the truck stopped moving less than 3 blocks away.A friend passing by pulled me the rest of the way.

When I checked it out at home,I saw the belt whipped around and sliced the line from the transmission to the cooler clean thru

?1-can I just replace the line and add new fluid,or is there damage or a way to check for damage.

?2-one belt runs what I think is a smog pump-I assume this is needed or it wouldn't be there-what does it do and should it be used?

?3-the second belt runs A/C,PS,ALT. A/C doesn't work,can that be eliminated and use a shorter belt,will the tensioner need to be moved.

I will probably replace the tranny line myself-check if it still moves,then drive the 1 mile to the shop and have them replace the belts.Shouldn't overheat in just a mile.

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Some good advice given. I would check the brg on the a/c clutch real good.It may have froze up throwing your belt off. If it's not, I would just replace it, as it would be easier, and cheaper than trying to do away with the a/c belt, and going shorter belts for alt, and p/s..

Plus who knows how much trouble that might become to do that..jmho..

3. cook

cook New Member

State:

what the heck is a brg??:

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Bearing? Perhaps

5. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Yes Sir,

Brg = Bearing...

Also make sure your a/c compressor didn't lock up..

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    cook, you most likely didn't suffer any tranny damage. it usually takes repeated slippage due to leaks to hurt one noticeably. good advice on checking the pulleys, and no, one mile won't overheat your engine

7. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    yep just replace the belts and the trans line and fill up the trans they will take a good beating.