Truck problems

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by jbarnes17, Apr 7, 2007.

1. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I have a 91 gmc with a 79 305 engine and a 4 barrell edelbrock carb. Last night on my way home from work it started cutting out while I was driving. It would idle at stop ok but when i'm going down the road it starts in again. I pushed in clutch and reved the engine a bit while coasting and it would clear up for a little ways then start cutting out again. It has a new distributor and new fuel pump and fairly new plugs and plug wires. I'm thinking that the timing might be off, but i'm not for sure. Any ideas?

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    a inexpensive thing you might want to do is replace any fuel filters.
    not sure where and how many yours might have but your problems has
    some of the same characteristics of a partially clogged filter.

3. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Like DRC said that would be my first thing to do . For the timing to change the distributor would have to be loose or timing chain jumped . If the timing chain jumped it wouldn't run good again .

If it was rainning out you may have got the wires wet . If they did get wet try shooting them with WD 40 .

4. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    I would have to agree with the other two brothers response. I have 77 ford f250,429 and when I first got it together it did the same thing to me. I could drive for a while then all of a sudden it would start acting up on me at around 50 to 55 mph, then would sometimes die all together.I would coast to the side of the road, wait a second then she would fire right back up(once the fuel bowl was full again) then as soon as the carb put more fuel then it was receiving it would start acting up again. Good luck

5. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    You should have one filter just out of the tank,somewhere along the frame rail, then one just before the carb.If problem presistes, drop gas tank and give her a good flushing. While your down there check the fuel lines to make sure their not rusting thru. A small pinhole can reack problems too by allowing air in to the system and cutting of suction from the tank. good luck

6. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I appreciate the help guys.

7. pokerkat

pokerkat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    where were you driving? up a hill? was the car jerking at all? dont drop the gas tank until a last resort, if it rained and the wires got wet you would experience multiple problems more than likely, it being a carb your idle screw could be off because of vibrations coming from the vehicle. I would check the fuel filter first, then add a water relief additive(ask your local autozone/advance or napa store) for your gas tank and add that next time you fuel up. if the problem persist ask your local mechanic, its free ya know for advice lol and if they charge you well then you went to the wrong mechanic. good luck man. awesome vehicle btw.

8. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    did u fix it yet if not try checking the vachum lines on the carb or the choke might be stcky to i have had that prblem before to and by the time i found the cracked vacum line i had a new feul pump, feul filter, air filter, distributer, plugs , wires and a rebuilt carb lol