truck or trailor

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catoon, Feb 2, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i have a jeep cherokee now.i was wanting a truck .but was wondering would it be better to buy a 16 foot dual axle trailor to haul stuff when i need to .it will even hold a car.or buy a truck for 2,000 or so that i dont have .the trailor will be a lil aggravating to hook up and haul but i could haul alot.what yall think help me out folks

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    One word of caution,Rich. Trailers anf jeeps arent ment to go togather well. If ya get a trailer,Which is the smart option. Just dont try hauling more weight than it will handle,I know the weights for short coupled vehicles might say X # of LBS ,But trust me,they dont even come close at times. Had a friend pulling a 18 ft travel trailer with sway bars nearly loose his jeep,trailer and life. If he hadnt had experience trailering ,it would be gone.:wink:

3. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    One bit of advice, never tow large trailors with a jeep or suv, they arent made for it. Get yourself a decent 3/4- 1 ton pickup if you are towing alot, i've seen too many accidents with small suv's and jeeps with trailors behind them toppled over on the highways.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I also drive a Cherokee and these folks are right , don't do it. I do vinyl siding and windows so I pull a 16' tandem trailer loaded and the Jeep cant do it. You'll kill your transmission for sure, and the Jeep wont handle good at all... it will kill the Jeep.

-Jim-

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The only trailers Jeeps were made to pull were those little ones in the old MASH episodes.

Catoon get a Ford 4x4 and enjoy the gas mileage. lol

Consumer Reports does not have a good thing to say about any Jeeps....

They are not building them like they used to.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I have the same sort of problem deciding what type of vehicle I want. A pickup is really handy when you're hauling stuff frequently, and if you get the extended cab, you can even carry 5 or 6 people. But it's not designed to carry people for extended periods of time, it's crowded, and it's pretty uncomfortable for that many people. Also, unless you have a camper shell over the bed, anything there is exposed to the weather. A rear-wheel drive van will carry more people, and in greater comfort than a pickup; but when you need to haul much, you need a trailer. Well....for a little extra hauling capacity you can get a luggage rack that fits into your receiver hitch. That's what we did on our trip to Chattanooga for Thanksgiving. Then too, some vans have the capacity for the rear seats to fold down into a bed, which can come in handy for those overnight fishing trips. As mentioned above, if you do go the trailer route, be sure you also get a tow vehicle that's adequate to tow whatever load you need. And for a 16' trailer loaded up, I'd say you'd need a full-sized van or pickup with a V-8 engine. I don't have a 16' trailer right now, because mine got stolen, but I've owned one since about 1991, and it's come in handy lots of times when vehicles have broken down, or I needed to haul lots of stuff. Right now I have a single axle trailer that's about 8' long, and it handles all the hauling I need to do now, except that it doesn't have the ability to go get a vehicle if it breaks down. On the other hand, it can be towed by just about any vehicle. Personally, I'm leaning toward a V-6 powered van that will tow the small trailer or my boat, and give me a place to sleep overnight on a fishing trip. That way, I don't have to take the 8mpg motor home. Just sit down and think about what you expect out of your vehicle, and then look for a vehicle that will handle those expectations.

7. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I have a Chevy truck and it is what works best for me it is an extended cab and we can take four adults with my Grandsons car seat and ride comfortable if I need to haul something I have a fiberglass cover over the bed for small stuff and can remove it if needed I used a trailor for a while and this is more convienant [sp] for me

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    as they said, Richard, that jeep ain't got enough guts to handle a decent trailer. i know, i worked for jeep for years. for a 16' trailer you need a V8......

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would go for full size truck with a V8 and trailer .
    You can make payments. LOL.
    Single cab, extended or 4 door, get bed length you might need the most. All Depends on your needs, short and long term. I need room more than not. They both, truck and trailer more handy for me than a car or SUV and IMO, safer.
    Camper shell or Tonneau cover is very nice to have and easy removable if need be.. I'm the type that keeps my stuff till it dies or becomes undependable. I figure, next 20 years, both my truck and trailer will come in handy more times than not.

Besides, dogs like trucks. LOL.

As for pulling something with Jeep, SUV vs full size truck. . Well, Dont take a knife to a gun fight. Truck all the way. Just dont forget to put the plug in it. Wait, thats on a boat, I mean pin in trailer hitch.
    Also, get a mount under bumper to frame tow hitch. Not a ball on bumper hook up And dont cheat on trailer part of hitch. I put a bulldog hitch on everything I use.
    I tried but cant seem to shake it off when pulling something. That dog will not let go. LOL.

You will need a different hat for a truck. Might get one of those BOC hats to start with.

Good luck. Hope you get what you want.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i was gonna say depends on what jeep cherokee you got because i was thinking of the old ones from the 70's but i thank they were grand wagoners those things were huge with a v8 and would go through some mud and would probally pull ok.

11. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i have a 98 grand cherokee 2 wheel drive 6 cyl automatic trans.i wouldnt haul real heavy things like a car just stuff like if i moved some one or needed some wood.not real heavy stuff

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well you have to look at are you wanting to tag and ins another vehicle. if your not just getting a deal on the trailor you mentioned would a smaller trailor fit your needs better your ride would like it better stoping and going and it take up less space in your driveway. if you have kids that are gonna drive soon a cheep truck makes a good starter vehicle. lots of things to think about.