truck is burning oil pretty good now

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Seth, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I have a 1999 silverado LS with the 5.3l and 190k miles. It seems to be burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles now. When I got it this wasn't happening and it just started up a few weeks back. I've just been keeping some oil in the truck and then adding it whenever the check oil light comes up. I don't notice any smoke or a burnt oil smell while driving it. There's also no leaks underneath it when it sits.

What's the best way to get something like this fixed?

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    when you first start it up does it puff a a little blue smoke? if so it may be valve seals, i also would get a compression check on all cylnders to make sure the rings are still good 190k is a lot of miles and parts to ware.

3. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Sounds like that engine is about used up. The least you could get by with is rings, pistons, rod and main bearings, and most likely a valve job with new valve guides. That is called a "top and bottom" where I live and its not a rebuilt engine. If cash flow is the prime concern while trying to get a few more years of service, then this may be the way to go. You have to balance cost of a new engine, a rebuilt engine, and trading it off for something else. Catfishjon

4. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I have a 1998 dodge Ram 318 mag that does the same thing.It uses a qt of oil ever thousand miles.....no smoke ....runs good without misfire..I bought some Lucas oil suppose to be for the seals. but havent used it yet.Last oil change I forgot to put it in.

Q: would that help mine.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    That Lucas is some good sheet. I use it in all of my vehicles.
    Its cheap enough to find out.:wink:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with the use of the Lucas oil. Just follow the directions on bottle. You should see a difference soon.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Save up some money and in the meanwhile add a quart every 1000 miles. Lots of clunkers out on the road burning more. While your saving some money look around until you find a deal on a rebuild or maybe another motor.
    I don't like anything burning oil but I will look for a deal before i jump in. JMO

8. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Cheapest thing to try on the chevy if ya haven't done it in a while would be to replace the pcv valve. The are really cheap and very often overlooked.

Catfishbill33 on that dodge 318 there is a plate on the bottom side of the intake manifold that the gasket blows out on. This causes them to burn oil through the engine with no smoke or burnt oil smell. Gasket is cheap but you have to pull the intake to change it.

9. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i have seen a few 5.3 with pcv valves plugged, also seen them sucking oil into the intakes from the lower gaskets also, the rubber seperates when they get high miles on them, if its been taken care of and no smoke in morning prolly nothing wrong with the internals

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just something to consider,Did you change brands of oil,when you bought the truck?. I did this once,had a 1981 F150 that was my Dads,I hate Penzoil,so I changed to Quakerstate,that thing burned oil like it had a million miles on it,I later found out the QS was a HIGH detergent oil.

11. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    All of you have good answers and I thank you all.

Jason Thanks for the info that seems reasonable and lot less than buying another motor when I only have 142k on the motor.I have always had the oil changed at 2-3k and most of my mileage is road miles.

thanks again to all of you

12. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    go to auto zone get a bottle of v-8 engine restore that is the name add to oil drive every thousand miles add a quart of oil next thousand add a bottle of engine restore in 4,000 miles oil buring should be gone if it is the rings

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Thanks for the input. I'll give the Lucas a try and a few of the other cheaper alternatives. If that doesn't work, I'll start searching for a new engine.

I put in Pennzoil High Mileage 5w30 for the first oil change when I got the truck. The next time I put in Valvoline 10w30. It seems to burn oil at about the same right with each one.

14. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got a 99 dodge truck with the 318 also, it has about 140ks on it, it has had the transmition rebuilt about about 5 years ago, and now it's like it's slipping, when i put it in drive and give a little gas it hesitates and then hits in gear, is it going out again? or what can i check or add to, i can't afford new transmition again

15. hookslinger

hookslinger Active Member Supporting Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    I agree with jason454ci try a pcv valve on the chevy. GM has a new valve for the 5.3 part# 12572717 to correct oil use. On the dodge look down through the thottle plates for oil in the intake, if you see some, the plate on the bottom of intake is leaking.

16. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Is the pcv valve something I can go buy and just unplug the old one and plug the new one in or does it require some mechanic know how?

17. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    this should be about the same for your truck

THE PVC ON A 2000 and 2001 SILVERADO WITH A 5.3 LITER ENGINE IS LOCATED AT THE LEFT (DRIVERS SIDE) REAR CORNER OF THE ROCKER ARM (valve) COVER behind all the spark plug distributors. IT IS COVERED BY A VERY THICK AND STIFF HOSE THAT MAKES IT HARD TO SEE. Pull the hose off of the valve then pull the valve out. Both come off easy and don't require extra tools. ALSO I READ THAT G.M. IS RECOMMENDING THE NEW FIXED ORFICE TYPE VALVE INSTEAD OF THE FLAPPER TYPE.

autozone shows they only cost like 4 bucks

18. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds to me like you needs some piston rings

19. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with these guys. replace the pcv and do a cumbustion chamber cleaning. using a small vacuum hose and slightly revving the engine. let engine vacuum suck the cleaner out of the can or just slowly pour it through the throttle body. this really helps loosen oil control rings on higher mileage engines. you'd be suprized with the results. If you don't want to try it yourself look around at dealerships, and other repair shops and ask about an e.f.i. cleaning.

20. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Here ya go Seth

Attached Files: