Truck information 6.5 turbo

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by SCcatfishing, Sep 11, 2009.

1. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey yall what do you think about a chevy 3500 with a 6.5 turbo diesel?
    Does anyone have one and did you have good luck?
    I just got one and looked online and didn't see anything good about them....

2. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    what year? i 2 with over 200,000 on them.

3. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    That is a workhorse.That will pull a mobile home!It will pull any boat you can put on a trailer....any boat.They are excellent trucks man,dont sweat it.Im looking at one myself to pull a 40+ ft rv.

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    its nto bad if you take care of it..here at teh shop we tend to cring when we hear 6.5...parts are cheaper than a cummins but the cummins is stouter..until the lift pump goes out and kills the injection pump

5. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    In my opinion you have 3 trucks that are the catdaddy haulers for heavy duty....the F350 ford....the 3500 Chevy....and the dodge 3500...the Chevy keeps up with those nicely.I think its a toss up between the Ford and Chevy...they are both awesome.

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i am a diehard chevy man but i buy fords when i want a work truck.... sad but true......

7. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    lift pump goes out because the oil pressure switch goes bad and dont send steady voltage to the pump. i have one one the wrecker that has been on it for 9 years now since i fixed that problem. and get a pump contol module cooler. that is a must.

8. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    ford f-250 will do whatever a chevy 350 will do!!:smile2:

9. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    So the trucks are not as bad as ppl are saying on the net........ Well I knew when I bought this truck it needed a break line and a ps pump.....

Well did the break line lol that was funny.....

Then to the ps pump well you see the guy that I took the pump to, to press the pully on is a @$#hole.... He put the pulley on with anti siz so you know what happen's next good ps then sqeeel no ps shut it off look at it that mother@#$%@#!@# pulley was almost off the shaft.... So tomorrow I have to drive to his shop and beat that fool stupid...

But anyways you say I need to replace to oil switch so it don't fry the lift pump? How much are the parts and if I bring it to you how much you going to charge to help me fix it? This truck has 160,000 miles on it and starts good every time.....also how do I get that truck to blow black some like the big boys???lol

10. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    I had a ford excursion which is the same as a f250 and it drove nice but if you can keep a tranny in those trucks and also they dont have the best tuggin power...I had a 95 250 with utility bed that truck sucked so here to say i will never buy another ford or dodge every again....:wink:

11. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    STROKEN TAKES TO MUCH EFFORT,
    CUMMIN IS A SHORT LIVED RUSH,
    BUT
    A DURAMAX DOESN'T KNOW WHEN TO QUIT!!!!

:wink::smile2::wink::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

12. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I have a Ford F-350 and its the first disel i have owned. Only problem sence i have owened it is the pump went out once. They are a lttle more to keep up with the oil changes and fuel filters. If you don't have anything big to haul, stick with a gas engine. If you got a load and can afford the extra maintance get the smoker:big_smile: My F-350 can pull 3 Dodge's and 2 6.5's and i got a friend with the Chevy Duramax and a Ford F-350, says the Ford is the ticket:smile2: (i'm a Ford man) but i guess they all are good as long as you do the upkeep

13. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    yeah this is my first 6.5 when I usta be rich I had a dmax lol:wink:

14. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I know what you mean. If anything ever happens to this one, i won't be able to replace it.:wink: The statement, money don't grow on trees, is kinda old saying, now its, "jobs don't grow on trees"

15. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Well if a Hurricane hits, jobs will grow on trees and money will be falling from the sky lol:wink: But until then money is Very tight.... But sold the excursion and got a good chunk back from it......good bit then I got this truck for a little over 2k so left me with a big chunk in my hand.....Then on to boat I got a good deal on a boat that needs a motor foot is bad got a fella coming to get it tuesday... the other boat has a real good motor but the boat is too small for me so I'm moving the motor to the bigger boat....I also have a fella that said her was coming to get the boat.... so I will have a total of 650 bucks in a 18ft alum closed bow with a 40hp rude with trailer so not a bad deal to tie a little cash up for a week or two..... Also that lil 40 hp I have fished monty 4 time on 6 gal so I love that little motor....

Boat I had befor was a 150 hp rude with a 51 gallon tank.... so now I can fish 4 times a week diesel and gas to go to monty will be about 50 bucks.... wich I was spending 175-225 a week in gas..... Wish they make ob diesel motors with a turbo lol:wink:

16. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    I just bought a 2005 F-250 crew cab lariet 4x4 6.0 powerstroke turbo on 37's i love the mpg in that my chevy gas was getting 9 mpg the 250 on highway is getting 19 with no programmer. This truck is strong it pulls the tractor like it aint back there and its a good size tractor.

17. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    My F-350 6.0 gets around 18mpg. I would have never believed it. I went to look at a new Toyota (LOOK not BUY) nice trucks and it would be nice to own a new one but the claimed mileage is 17-18 so why not just keep the truck with no payments:big_smile: Only problem with my truck is, i have to buy 6 tires instead of 4. Its worth it when pulling a big load. Very stable

18. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    im gonna need tires on my 250 soon the tires are $370-$400 a piece :sad2: they hurt my feelings on the prices

19. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Keep in mind that Toyota wont even come close to pulling what that F-350 will pull.Good move keeping it.I have just about settled on the 350 as well.But,I do like the 3500 GMC as well.

20. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Well I spent most of the weekend working on the truck.... Well the fella that had it before me didn't have a clue on how to work on a truck.... He thought it was on to run a diesel with out a t stat so I now have to get one and put in tomorrow in the am.... Not keeping the fluid in the radiator long enough to kool it down at all... cold in the morning I can squeeze the hose and make it bubble in the holding tank.... So I know there isn't one or stuck wide open..... But other than that it may need a set of glow plug in it....

Question for someone when I change the oil and filter in the truck and want to add lucus to the oil do I drop a quart of oil for the 1 quart of lucus?
    Also what about diesel additive lub... How often should I do that?