Truck, Fifthwheel, Boat length

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by Mark R., Jan 30, 2007.

1. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I am looking at a fifthwheel campers on e-bay.
    I am wondering what aprox. length would be hooking a 20'or 30' trailer with a 17' boat behind it would put me at?
    If I read the law right a person can be 75' total in Oklahoma.
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If you also plan on going out of state. I would look at the other states.
    I know Ar is 90 ft LOL
    Tn is 65 total, And the 5th wheel can only be 28 ft in length In Tn. But I see them up to 30+ with a boat behind them.
    Theres a post on here about a popup camper and towing a boat. I posted a site there that tells some info.
    Pete

3. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    Yes it would be no good to have too long a rig, I am just wondering how long I would be with say a 25' fifth wheel so I can travel through most states.
    Maybe some one has a overall length of theirs so I can get a idea?
    Thanks,
    Mark

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Check your truck. From the front bumper to the middle of the back axle. Then have them check the camper.
    Then add the boat and trailer.
    With our Chevy crew cab short bed, 25 ft camper and 17'7" boat we were going to be around 62ft.
    But if you have a standard cab it will be shorter.

Also there is only one or 2 5th wheels that state there 25ft that are under 27ft.
    Pete

5. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Hey Ive got a 2004 27.6' Keystone Cougar Mid kitchen, front bedoom, back is pull out sofa ect. We bought it for the hurricanes when we were in Florida. We are looking at selling it now that we live on the river and have everything right in our back yard. Looking at 21k - just a thought its bascially new we used it for about 2 months and camped a handful of times.

6. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    tfabry - that is more than I want to spend at this time but I will spread the word around.

ShilohRed - I have a short bed quad cab, I need to watch out for my back glass!
    What you told me helps - as the guy that has the camper for sale isn't where he can measure it for me so I am just trying to get a aprox. length for now.
    I just talked to a friend of mine in KS. who is about 3 foot over length and has never been stopped.

7. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    I had a short box when we got the camper and it never really bacame an issue, just had to be cautious and back it straighten out and get it the rest of the way. If you need an actual length let me know if mine will work for the length and Ill measure it for you - see ya

8. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hi Mark.
    My son and I both have the Chevy short bed, Duro-max double cabs ,He has a 27 foot fifth wheel with a ten foot Box trailer on the back of that to haul his Rhino . And his first trip out was up Interstate five to Oregon. He got a lot of looks from the state troopers , but never got stooped. But I do know hear in California you have to have a class I license to pull that extra trailer. That mite be something you would want to look in to, I don't know what the law is where you live. Oh, and one other thing with the short beds, we put the rolling fifth wheel hitch's on the trucks to protect the back of the cab in tit turns. I have not had to use mine, but it's good to know it's their If I ever do need it. hope this helps.

9. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    When you fellas are towing a 5th wheel and boat how does it handle? does the wind gust or big trucks make it squirrly? am considering a 5th wheel in the 23-25' range with a 16' boat behind pulling with a F250 heavy duty non diesel. single cab. What would I need to do to the truck to prep it for this type of towing , do I need extra load springs, sway bars???? Thanks. Mac