Truck Driver's "roll Call"

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by canepole, Jul 15, 2006.

1. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I drive big trucks for a living and was wondering who all drives or has driven big trucks for a living on here.
    I have been driving since 1980 when I went in the Army I was a 64 C (truck driver) and got out and got back into trucking about 18 years ago and have been doing it ever since. I currently drive for a company outta Jackson Ms called Total Transportation, Big red Volvo's
    Lets hear from you.Tom

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    my dad and all my uncles drive trucks i have driven a few times for there company but never as a full time job there not as much money in it as there used to be in the 70's and 80's

3. gater460

gater460 New Member

State:
    eldon,mo
    i started driving in nam in 1970 for the army been driving allmost ever since kind of semi retired now not because of age but because of all the idiots on road now days those "DRIVING SCHOOL WONDERS THAT KNOW IT ALL" get on my nerves to much.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I own a 96 Peterbilt with a Cummins N14. Have a 93 Bensen 48 x 96 flatbead and NO Driver.....:sad2:

Anybody got a good driving record and want a job? I wil lease on anywhere.

5. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I've spent 6 1/2 yrs out there, xcountry, reefer and dry van. local job now but I still look whenever one comes by!:roll_eyes:
    gf still drives!

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    4 years in the corps, logged more than my fair share of miles, did alot of fly by night runs, one deployment I put on over 4500 miles It may not seem like alot, but it was twice as much as anyone else I deployed with, all 4 years accident free, had explosives and hazmat qualifications too.

Aaron

TA2D

7. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Drove for about 7 years, mostly pulling flatbeds.

Back blowout put an end to the trucking, there are days I sure miss it.

8. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    my dad has been driving for as long as i can remember, his parents drove, and one of his sisters drives. i just want to say thank you to those of you who do drive for a living... if it weren't for ya'll, we wouldn't be as good off of a country as we are... you guys and gals are the backbone of goods transportation, and if ya'll stopped driving, america would fall apart.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wish I would have kept my big truck.........I would have made it into a camper.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Our son in law is getting close to his 2 million mile safety award. Not only does it take driving skill, it takes luck, for he would lose his record if someone knocked a mirror off in a parking lot.
    He delivers plastic pellets from the petrochemical company that I worked to all over the USA and Canada.
    A picture of his rig is below.

Attached Files:

11. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I used to pull flatbeds, heavy hauling for Artim Transportation before I went to work on the railroad. Now I'm retired and only farm and fish. I still have my CDL's which are required now for some of the farm trailers I pull, some states are really getting strick.

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    How about you guys putting out your call sign? When your in someones area you can post it and possibly do some talking. I used to be on the CB all the time when I was in VA have since gotten rid of it but would like to get one down the line again. I remember talking on Ch19 and all the Truckers would be talking about a Super Trooper at yardstick # and felt really dumb when I had to ask what it was LOL. Also if you could post some of the more common words (clean ones LOL) that are used to describe stuff i.e. super trooper = cop, yardstick = mile marker that type of stuff. The only ones I remember is parking lot is a car carier but its been awhile.

13. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I remember a few:
    full grow bear=state trooper
    county mounty=county sheriff
    city kitty=local cop
    4 wheeler=car
    pickle park=rest area
    covered wagon=flat bed w/ cover

14. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My dad is a truck driver at Family Dollar.

15. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Starting driving in 1969 and have done it off and on since then. May dad was a driver and was killed in one. My son has driven and owned 2 trucks but has quit. Sort of like me, doesn't like to be gone so much. Used to really enjoy it.

16. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    i drove for about 8 years pulling a covered wagon but now am a crane operater

17. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have driven since I was 21. Had a few jobs in between, but always went back to the trucks!!:big_smile: I Have pulled, flats, van, tank, hopper and heavy equipt. Started with CCX 3.5 yrs ago, and that is where I plan to stay.

18. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I've done some. I had an old cabover international that I hauled logs on for a few years. I hauled lumber for a local sawmill in the 80's, and then drove for Nationwide Transportation out of Clarksville for a couple of years and then teamed with a friend hauling books between Jessup Maryland and Walnut California for Ingram Distribution for a couple of years before giving it up for good. I got out of it before the new CDL went into effect. If I had a CDL now, I would probably be doing some part time driving now.

19. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Looks like I'm the odd man here. I hauled freight (whiskey) in a box truck for delivery to liquor stores, furniture etc for a store, then I went on the road for a while hauling house trailers from a factory to the dealer.

20. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    About time we had this post, TY!

Me three.

:big_smile_2: