truck camper-Questions

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfish kenny, Feb 17, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a cuople questions that Id like to know-I might be getting a topper style over cab camper.....the price is right -we cannot afford a r/v but we do have a van...anyways I am not gonna have the Jacks so I will need to work on that and if you have ever picked one up how many did it take ! I dont have a truck for it so I will have to get it off the trailer its on and set it on my garage slab in front until I do but I have no clue how much it weighs or what I am gonna do to get it off the trailer......It is supose to be redone inside everything is in great condition I have to get it off the trailer and its all good.I should find out when I can go look at it .....

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Any input will be appreciated so I know what I am getting myself into....having never been around these type.

3. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    well your gunnu need jacks. if the camper is good enough to consider ,then it should already have them, if not try ebay or camper place or even jc whitney . i think thyr around 100 bucks apiece :big_smile: :cool2:

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    IF there is a place to attach jacks, then you are going to need them. Without pics, advise is going to be hard to give.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Catfish K''

What size is it?? Most of the old ones were heavy due to wood 2"x2" framing that held moisture. Does it have those jacks to get it on and off truck?? Does it have 3 or 4?? 4 is GOOD. 3 is " BOY I HOPE THIS DOES NOT FALL ON ME AND RUIN MY DAY".

The old truck campers tended to have rotten wood where the jacks mounted, so they were junk. Rotten Wood = Junk. I have even tried to garyrig the jack mounts with 1/4 x 3" x 3" angle and it did not work worth a hoot.

It takes a lot of truck to haul a truck camper.

I know because I have one. My truck is a 2000 F 250 4x4, extended cab, full size bed, 5 speed stick, 5.4 Triton V8. My camper is a 1997 9 and a half foot job with a queen size bed over the cab'. It weighs 1967 Lbs. My truck is rated to haul more weight than the camper weighs, truck GVW is 9000, truck weighs 6700 to 6900 depending on fuel load and thats with all my tools and me inside. I had to add air bags to the back for added support, they were about 300 and I installed them. My truck would really sway and squatted with out them. Trouble is the camper weighs 1967 empty but then, in goes the canned goods, extra fishing gear [ sinkers, hooks, rod&reel set ups etc. extra props,], food, water, propane, and then there are your clothes, bedding, pots and pans, etc. etc. etc.... And that poor camper is now weighing over 3000 pounds.

I would recommend a 1 ton dually for truck campers and air bags too.

Now the real bad things about old truck campers besides wood rot. A lot of them will go 4000 lbs empty. Boy they get top heavy, and they sway.

In my area, old truck campers, you darn near have to pay someone to take. They are not worth scrapping out. Not enough good metal, and tooooo much wood and fiberglass insulation to get rid of. Our dumps charge by the pound to get rid of garbage. They are like old house trailers, you only have to do one to learn a hard lesson. Then you start charging people to get rid of them.

I'm not trying to ruin your dreams of a cheap camper. I just want to open up the eyes of a Friend.

I have had some awful truck campers in the past. The last old one I had went on top of a brush pile I had burning. Along with a fiberglass tri hull, that was another bargain, I was going to use.

I had welded on a Friends big 912 loader, and it had forks. And I did some Major cleaning with that loader and that brush pile. lol I was a man possessed. Boy did that boat smoke lol That camper went up like a match stick.

Hey get a good all weather tent, old carpet scrap, for a ground cloth, and enjoy the outdoors. Pick up a screened round one for over the picnic table, and you are set.

Or there is the so called easy payment plan on a good camper.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I wont know for a day or so what the thing looks like ,year or anything but I have been told it is in exelent condition and everything works -heater stove etc. so If I go get it I can have it but I know nothing about them except if it is in good shape and free all I gotta do is drop it off a trailer....It has a potential fer me to upgrade a little in the camping dept.I have 3 1/2 ton trucks and I know they are not gonna take it so that all is a given,dont ferget pullin the boat either

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My brother just bought a r/v and they are quite pricey even for a fixer upper.
    I am gonna look at it and go from there....Have to for that its about a 1hr fom here....I wish I knew someone close that had jacks cause I am gonna have to sit on this for awhile...and cannot afford them right away so....

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Kenny,
    I know a guy who has one of those campers, its a huge one, He anchored his to a 2 axle trailer and built storage boxes on the side and the front where the truck would fit. Looks good. I aked him why he didnt use it on a truck, he said a trailer was alot cheaper than buying a 3/4 ton truck to hauk it on. Just an idea.

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    not feasible but a good idea-gotst be able to pull the boat

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    about 8 big grunts LOL :smile2:

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I figured 10 strong backs with weak minds(lol) I am looking for voulinteers

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If it's legal, you could mount the camper to a heavy duty trailer and pull the boat behind the trailer. I've done that with a regular camper trailer.