truck-camper-boat [tandem towing] anyone do it?

Discussion in 'Capt Steve's RV and Camping Talk' started by biga, Jun 25, 2008.

1. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have decided to get a pull behind camper to eliminate having to plate and insure my rv.. but now i have the problem of taking my boat with me!! do any of you guys pull your boat behind your tag camper ? when i was a kid thats how my dad did it but i havent seen anyone else do it so i didnt know if i could get away with it or not? i have an f350 4 door dually truck so pulling and stopping safely isnt an issue does anyone else do this?

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i've seen several people do it. you just have to check the overall length limit in your state to be sure that you are legal in doing so

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i pull a 30 ft 5th wheel and an 18' baat. the length limit in texas and oklahoma is 65'. the only problem is when you need diesel and are not on a big highway that has large stations. i only drive 60 to 65 and have had no problems. just remember you will not be able to back with 2 trailers, so make sure you have plenty of room when you get off the highway.

4. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Most states that allow tandem towing specify that the first towed trailer MUST BE A 5TH WHEEL.

You will find that there are very few places you can legally tow tandem using a tag.

Another thing is what will you be towing with? The type of vehicle heavy enough to safely tow tandem will probably not get any better fuel mileage towing than your RV. Also with a tandem setup don't misjudge where you need to go as you will not be backing up at all.

5. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    with my f250 diesel i get about 12 pulling and close to 18 empty. i would drive a truck even if i didn't pull the camper.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Don't believe Oklahoma has the 5th wheel requirement.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    here is a link that tells you what states it legal and what states its not legal
    http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm
    But also it has to be a fifthwheel hitch. No bumper hitch units at all. Also if the camper is over 28ft long its not legal in most states.
    Then again if the boat is putting very much weight on the back of the camper your asking for a wreck.
    I looked into the same thing. but using a fifth wheel camper. and went with this and never have looked back. I am only 3ft longer with our camper then without it. and the boat is hooked to the reciver hitch.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Okanagan%20811-SL/Novtrip003.jpg
    Pete

PS ask your self this question, Is it worth you and your family life's or a stranger or kid in a different car to tow in a way that is not safe? Also check with your insurance company and the state .

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    read the original post nd you will see that i have plenty of truk to get the job done... i have bee on 2 trips in the last month like this with no problem...

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    thanks for the info pete... im not nearly new to pulling heavy loads thats what i do for a living... i have electric brakes on both with 500lbs of tounge weight on the camper and 60lbs tounge weight on the boat it pulls like a dream!!! i have no saftey concerns at all.. d.o.t officer looked the rig over the other day and gave an aok so i think its fine...

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I used to pull a camper trailer with my jonboat hooked up to the back bumper of the camper. If you're pretty good at backing up a trailer, you can sometimes back up two of them a little ways, but not very far. I went to a motorhome because, while my double trailer rig was legal here in Arkansas, it wasn't in some of the neighboring states where I like to occasionally visit.

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Good luck and was not saying you did not know how to pull it.
    Shoot I have hauled loads that grossed 140,000. But still not going to tow a boat with a bumper hitch camper.
    Be careful in other states they may not agree with what the DOT officer told you.
    Pete

12. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    pete liked your idea of a slide in camper, i was wondering how to pull boat an camper.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats the way to go pete. nice lil set up.:wink:

14. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The only thing that I can think of is That I would make sure I had a good stabalizer hitch on my camper. Will save a lot of weaving around and help keep you straight. I baught a Lund boat from an insurance company because the ol boy that had it was pulling it behind his camper with out a stabalizer and lost the whole works down in the ditch. I was able to fix the boat and still use it today. Turned out good for me but everything he had was totaled !!

15. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dude, you dont know how bad someone wanted to paint "Ringling Bros. & Barnum Bailey" on the back side of your camper at the gathering! :crazy: Looked like a gypsy circus train rollin in to Rocky Point.:smile2: J/K, you did well! Are ya bringin the train back with ya on the 25th?

16. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    who was that someone bear?????

17. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ooops! :eek:oooh: Uh, uh, I dunno. Hey, Isnt that my mom calling me for dinner? I gotta go! Bye! :wink::smile2:

18. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    im a tent camper now i have a truck trailor i pull behind my jeep behind the trailor i pull a 16 foot boat