Tru-Turn Catfish Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by FATFLATTIE, Aug 31, 2007.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I was wondering if anyone has used these hooks in the larger sizes? I've used the smaller ones before and I really liked them, it just seems like the gap may not be big enough for using large bluegill as bait. I want to buy some of the 8/0 or 10/0 from Catfish Connection, but they only come in a 50pack and I don't want to drop all that coin only to find out that they aren't going to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    You're talking about the truturn baitholder hooks? I know of some pretty successful catfishermen that will use 6&7/0 but rarely go above.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Just to avoid any confusion, I was wondering if the gap on the 8/0-10/0 hooks would be large enough to use a large bluegill. Thanks

4. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    FATFLATTIE, yes they are big enough to work. I have 200 or so 7/0 that I bought. I have caught some pretty good fish on them. I was using them on my 5 hook throw lines but I ended up buying several hundred 10/0 eagle claw stainless hooks on e-bay so I just have a bunch of true-turn hook in a box now. They are not stainless and the points are not very sharp on some of them. If you sharpen the point it will rust if you use them for lines that stay in the water for very long but for rod and reel fishing there great. I have not seen the 8/0- and 10/0 size but the 7/0 one are a nice big size for perch. Check out e-bay for hooks too. You can get bulk boxes of hooks pretty cheep! Just watch out for the shipping cost from some of the guys on there.