Trout

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by butlersbeagles, May 5, 2008.

1. butlersbeagles

butlersbeagles New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hear trouts a good bait. How to use trout for bait.

2. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I used some old freezer burnt rainbow trout for bait a couple of years ago. It was hard to keep the bait on the hook but the cats just pounded it. There was very little playing with it, they just picked it up and ran. I'd recommend gutting the trout and then cutting into chunks with the skin and bone on. It helps it stay on the hook. I've gotta get some more of that! :wink:
    Crappie works almost as good. In Oklahoma we can use just about anything we catch legally but you will want to check your regs.

3. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Lots of baitshops here in Georgia sell trout for striper bait. I've tried cut trout before and while I had some luck, cut shad worked 10 times better. Cats just like that super oily shad meat.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    there's a state where the record bass and channel cat were caught on trout, i think it was kansas. maybe one of the kansas members could clear that up. where i am at i can't use trout at all, but in the spring when we catch channel cats at our trout ponds, they have trout in their stomachs.

5. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    im pretty sure in alot of states that wouldnt be leagal???im interested to find out.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    In Nevada the only native non game fish that can be used for bait is Carp.