Trout tips?

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by elphaba7, Oct 7, 2005.

1. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Okay, next week a local pond will be stocking some trout. I plan on taking my twins the day after they do. What are some tips you all can give me? So far I've heard get some tiny trebles and velveeta, but there has to be more to it than that, lol .

The pond is about 6 acres, and the only other fish in it I know of for sure are gill. Some parts of the shoreline are marshy, and there are some pretty shallow spots also, with weed coverage (less than 2 feet deep).

Thanks for any help.

2. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    My favorite way to take trout is on a fly. If you don't have a fly rod get a clear bubble, fill it with a little water for weight and about a 2 foot leader with a very small fly at the end. I like to use a gnat cluster fly, but ask your locals at the bait/fly/tackle shop what they're hitting in your area. Usually it will be something very small. Use 2-6 lb test on an ultralight and cast out and reel in slowly. It's very exciting to see one break the surface and grab that fly, and on ultralight gear they fight hard.

Power bait is also a good choice, fish about 2 feet under a small bobber. Don't use a big bobber, the fish will laugh at you, I'd say anything bigger than 2 inch diameter is too big the smaller the better. Trout are extremely line shy so no high vis stuff either, flourocarbon is my favorite line for trout, but it's a little expensive. Another way to do it is no bobber, just throw some power bait on a size 10 treble hook and toss it out with a slack line, when your line moves set the hook.

Small spinners work very well, my favorite are mepps #1 silvers with no tail. Small castmasters are a close second. Small rainbow trout rapalas also work very well, they are canibals. Good luck, let us know how you did. :cool:

3. DrummerCat

DrummerCat New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Alright Jen,
    I'm no expert ...last year was my first go around with trout and I had success! I got myself an ultralight rod (BPS 5' 6") and reel (Mitchell Avacet Silver 500UL ) and spooled it with clear 4lb. test. I went and looked through the overwhelming assortment of trout baits at BPS and decided on Floating Chartruse Trout Power Bait. I then went and got me some #18 gold treble hooks and one of those little round assorment trays of split-shot weights.

I tied the treble hook directly onto the line and put a small size split shot about 6-8 inches up on the line. It took me a few times to tie a #18 treble to 4 pound test with a palomar knot, lol. I then made sure my drag was set at about one pound of resistence and off to stocked pond/lake I went.

I put a little ball of powerbait over that tiny treble and threw it out. (it's amazing how easy 4lb. test will fly with no more than a tiny weight and bait).

So being as I'm used to catfishin' I decided to set my floppy ultra-light in a rod holder and sit back and wait. Within about 15 minutes ...WHAM! There goes the rod with the tip pointing towards the water!

I ended up with 3 Rainbow trout within about 40 minutes and they were some tasty fish. I'm really looking forward to January when they restock that little city pond.

I hope this helps you out in your quest for trout!

4. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Thanks guys. Trout fishing is relatively "new" to me also, since I haven't gone since I was a little girl going with my dad, lol. I hope my boys have fun, and I want them to get the most out of the trip that they can. :)

5. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Jen, try diffrent power bait. Chartruese with sparkles,rainbow with sparkles and yellow corn. Trout also like worms meal worms and nightcrawlers. I alsolike to attractant in garlic flavor. Procure is a good fish attractant; douse the power bait and line with garlic flavor.

Jaime

6. DrummerCat

DrummerCat New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good point Janzaldo. I forgot to mention the Chartruese powerbait I was using had both garlic scent and sparkles. I also tried red "trout mallows" with sparkles but they weren't as effective as the Chartruese powerbait.

However, later in spring I did catch about a four or five pound Channel on a red trout mallow. That was a fun fight.

7. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    So I'll pick up the powerbait, in chartreuse. And tiny trebles, what...anything from 10 to 18?

8. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, those sizes are good. Also try to go around dawn or dusk, they seem to be hungry around those times. Worms also work very well for trout, about 2 foot under a bobber, or on the bottom like Drummercat said. Good luck :)

9. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Pretty cool, drummer cat. I have caught channels with white colored garlic flavored marshmellows and mealworms. My biggest channel(6lbs) was caught on corn flavored powerbait.
    Jen, size 18 should be good.

Jaime

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good addvise there,powerbait is a good bait here as well. we use a half a crawler then cover the top of hook with a small ball of P.B. they will also hit very small rapalas and rattle traps.

good luck!
    lookin forward to those pics.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Garlic cheese is excellent for stocked trout.It has to be Kraft and it has to be the roll kind not squeeze tube etc.Something about that cheese that just kills trout everywhere.I used to use pantyhose with it to keep it on the hook.

12. flannelman

flannelman New Member

recently i have been doin some trout fishin and i find the mepps aglia spinners in size 1 and 2 work the best. also, if u dont have much cash, worms works good too. ive caught some nice sized trout on worms. but id go with the spinners. when ever ive gone troutfishin, they outfish live bait

13. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Well, so far I've picked up the Berkley Chartreuse trout bait, size 14 trebles, and some velveeta. I forgot what kind of spinners everyone recommended, so I'll get those tomorrow, and the worms I'll get on the way. Thanks for all the tips!

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Jen, we have caught brown trout up to 7 lb and rainbows up to 5 lb on medium sized minnows and half a nightcrawler out of the strip pit here stocked with both. Down in Branson missouri is Lake Taneycomo, we catch them there on salmon eggs, power bait, small spinners, and tiny spoons.

15. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Just remember that trout are easily spooked. You have to use 2-6 lb. test. It seems that if there is any part of the hook showing, that they wouldn't bite. I also noticed that if you are fishing on a dock, and there are people walking around, the line will start to bounce, and it seemed to spook them. So try to be still and quiet.

16. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Shawn, I've heard that about the spooking. I should be on the bank, but with 7 year old twins, so still and quiet might be hard to come by, lol.

What about line color? Would clear versus blue make a difference?

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Flourocarbon is the best IMO...it's practically invisible underwater. P Line makes good flouro. Trilene has a line called transition. It's yellow in color above the water...making it easy to see...but turns into flouro beneath the water...effectively disappearing.

18. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Jen,
    The biggest thing to remember about trout is that they are just a fish like every other fish out there. I have used nightcrawlers, meal worms, shrimp (cooked), salmon eggs, power bait, power worms (micros), spinners, spoons, and flys. I have fished for trout all my life and probably always will. They are easy to catch. They school and they relatively stay in the same area. The secret is just like any other fish figure out the answer to three questions:

#1 Where are they? (in the lake/creek/whatever)

#2 What do they want to eat today? ( yes it can change daily/hourly)

#3 How do they want what they want to eat presented? (top from a bobber/bottom using wieght/ mid depth using lures)

If you figure out the answer to those three questions you are going to catch fish. Use everything around you to get the answers other fisherman, CO's, the lake itself, common sense, and trial and error.

-Brian

19. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Alright guys, I guess today is the day. I think I'm going to take the boys over there tonight, hoping that everyone else will go tomorrow, lol. And if it's crowded today, I'll go again tomorrow. ;) We have everything we need, I'll get the worms on the way! :cross: :0a23: :006:

20. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    lots of good tips there for trout fishing. i cant answer it for toehr states but out here in cali where i trout fish i use two wats to get my trout. (they are one of my main fish to go for) i troll for then when trolling depending in the lake i am trolling i will either go with just the flashers and a pink hoochie or some other kind of lure behind them or a night crawler behind the flashers. or i will use the same but use my downriggers to get down 6o to 80 feet. bank fishing its all flys for me there are a couple of ways to use a bobber to flyfish off of light gear one like was said or use a 2 to 4 pound test and use a clear bobber not the round red ones. and a fly the type of fly is dependant on what they are feeding on at the time of year and local. ouwer bait marshmellows corn with garlic or shad scent works good too. experiment trout are fun and a awesome to eat fish too. good luck and post some pics.