Trout talk

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by 18lbflathead, Nov 22, 2006.

1. 18lbflathead

18lbflathead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :confused2: what bait should i use to catch trout?

2. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    It depends mostly on the type of water you are going to fish but if you are lake fishing from shore you can't beat the inflated nightcrawler. I like to use light line and vary the length of the leader above the sliding sinker to the clarity of the water. In clear water I may use a leader that is 24" long. In cloudy water I may go down to as short as a 6" leader.
    If I'm in my float tube I will use 2# to 4# test line and flyline the nightcrawler towing it behind me at a slow start and stop pace. That does the trick in the local lakes I fish at.

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Hey Ricky,
    What i use in a stream or river is a night crawler on a size 1 hook and no more than 2 split shot on no more than 6lb line tossed up stream while reeling your line at the same speed as the current is bringing it back to you.
    If your lake fishing I use either green power bait on a #6 treble hook or salmon eggs on a size 10 or 12 salmon egg hook. Good luck

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When I used to fish brown and rainbows back in Iowa my all time favorite bait was either a white/nickel or black/nickel 1/16oz. Warden's Rostertail spinner. Benifits to fishing with a spinner is that you can cover water fairly fast, and get the more active fish. Also, my biggest trout a 22" rainbow was caught on a black/nickel. You can cast toward good looking areas and make a straight retrieve when fish are real active, or cast a little upstream and keep enough tension that the blade spins and let it swin past the area and the hold in the current for a second if the fish are a bit slower.

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    You fly fish or using spinning gear and tackle? Just curious?

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Ilike to fish with a rooster tail too Ihave always liked nickle blades on awhite blck spoted body spinn fishing:006:

7. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Rainbow Powerbait is my favorite, but I use the others mentioned too.

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Another trick we used during winter months that worked well is that we'd put a salmon egg up on the top of a hook and tip the bottom of the hook with a piece of night crawler with a single small split shot up the line 18". Was really good for drifting up under the ice.

9. greg12345

greg12345 New Member

State:
    NC
    Where I fish (reservoir out west) all the large trout (rainbows mostly) have been heavily pressured and are line/hook shy. My set up is 4lb test with a fish finder rig with a 2-4lb fluoro leader. If I'm fishing nightcrawlers, I use a #6 baitholder hook hooked through the middle of an inflated crawler. For powerbait, I use a #14 treble with chartreuse/glitter.

10. greg12345

greg12345 New Member

State:
    NC
    Oh yeah, for lures - Kastmaster spoon 1/12 or 1/8 oz, or panther martin spinners (1/16-1/8 oz).

11. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Around here I do all my fishing in the Smith river. I do the best with nightcrawlers on a #8 baitholder hook with 4lb test. Ultralight spinning mitchell reel mounted on a 5'6" light berkely lightning rod. Right now is the time to be fishing for the trout as well.

Wheelmobile07

12. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I went Trout Fishing Here in Eastern Kansas or Kansas city Kansas For the First Time This year in January and am going tomorrow. Anyone Fish for Trout in Wyandotte County Lake Park . Here in KCK??

If so any thought's on the bait?

Before it was Yellow Power bait.
    I did'nt catch any but a buddy of mine did around a 5 pound Rainbow.
    I caught a 6 pound Channel.

Any Help would be appiciated Thanks

Happy Holidays to All The Brother's of this Wonderful Website The One And Only B.O.C.