Trout rigs

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by cattinalldayeveryday, Aug 23, 2006.

1. cattinalldayeveryday

cattinalldayeveryday New Member

State:
    chicago
    do you fish bottom or under a bobber i used to catch a lot with a small bobber and a #6 size hook about a foot and a half down also what bait should i try

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Dale. I rarely use a bobber when fishing for trout. Most of my trout fishing is done on streams. If im using a worm i let it drift in the current, with no weight, so as to look natural to the fish. When im fishing in a lake i mostly use spinners. I always use ultra lite tackle with either 2, or 4 lb. cajun red fishing line. Good fishing to ya brother.

3. Sakon

Sakon New Member

State:
    Sand Lake, MI
    In the bigger rivers I like to use a bobber and bounce the spawn of the bottom. I use 6lb Maxima with a leader 4 to 6ft long and 2 lb maxima.

4. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    my neighbor has been catching trout for 60 years. he had me try four pound test with 2lb leader and a size 14 dry fly hook. i never caught so many in my life. wax worms, maggots, meal worms, red worms, and assorted colors of salmon egg. i watched him catch 40 plus fish one afternoon.

5. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    more trout baits-

-cut chub /neighbor caught 21-inch rainbow on a chub eye/
    -cheese
    -trout eggs
    also, you can make a jig out of cut trout belly. cut trout's thin belly flesh in shape of jig, hook it and add split shot to "head"

-you don't have to have a fly rod to use a fly and there are so many spinners and other lures to check out.

weights and bobbers-
    -when i use weight, i get the smallest split shot possible. all it has to do is make your bait hang down from the bobber, or make a small bait, like a maggot, heavy enough to cast. i don't use the ones with the tabs on the hinge for easy removal becasue they give the weight too big a profile. careful not to nick the line.

-i use the tiny foam bobbers with the plastic peg in the middle because they never nick the line. but usually, i don't use weight or bobbers in a small stream.

and seriously, give those size 14 dry fly hooks a try

have fun:big_smile:

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    This time of the year I like to use wax worms power bait is good to:smile2:

7. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    I have the best luck year around using a Rebel Crawdad crankbait or a Fishermens Outpost Wooly Bogger

8. MidwestFish

MidwestFish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    if your at a lake id fish the bottom with 2-4lb line with a small weight and a #18 treble hook about 12 inches up. same with a slow moving river. try out an acme kastmaster too at a lake. http://www.acmetackle.com/scripts/kastmaster.html

use powerbait, small marshmellows, or a mixed dough bait

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I use a bobber occasionaly when fishing a very deep outside bend in the river i fish for but when i get to some of the shallower water the bobber comes off and i just let the bait drift how it wants to in the current.

Wheelmobile07

10. Mudville

Mudville New Member

Good info so far, I'm going to be in a trout bout here in a couple weeks sponsored by the parks and rec dept. What I was wondering is what is a good bait to use this time of year. I have small spinners, attractant, fake eggs by powerbait, an ulralight set up and whatevert ackle I may need. I want to know baits, methods and any tricks of the trade possible. :lol: There's only one prize and that's for biggest fish in each age group, but there are planted tagged fish. An apporximate total of 2000 lbs of trout is being planted for the derby. Any info is helpfull. Thanks.

11. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Last year, I had good success fishing tight line on the bottom with 4lb test using nightcrawler. I also blew them up with air to float a foot or so above the bottom. The trout I saw on my finder were suspended and the worm would float right back up to their location.

12. Mudville

Mudville New Member

Thankls for the tip. I bought one of them worm blowers and never used it, But I'll give it a try. The lake it's being held at doesn't allow boats or waders, :roll_eyes: , so i need t try to get some pointers in and get my odds up. I wish it was the cat tourney, cause I bringem in there. :lol:

13. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Mudville, most likely the trout are farm raised. You need to give them what they are used to eating. THe suggestions that are fellow members made are good though. Try Berkleys power bait in chartruese,spring green rainbow and corn flavor. Another suggestion is to use scents to cover your scent. Trout are easily repelled by human scents. I like to use Procure garlic oil. I put it on the powerbait sparingly and along the mono line. Use light line; I like to use two lbs Vanish flourocarben line. Farm raised trout are most active in the morning or night; be ready to go as soon as you are allowed to cast your line. Most likely the the 1st prize fish will be caught early. Just my opinion though. I live wher all we have are planted trout. I hope this helps

Jaime

14. Mudville

Mudville New Member

Thanks for the hint on the procure, I haven't thought of that. I do have some power bait and a light setup ready. It's what I use for the gills when the cat fishin is slow. These are farm raised and the lil derby starts at 6 am I believe, I better check :lol: .

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    If Im live bait fishing I use 1 or 2 bb sized split shots about 14" above a #10 or #8 eagle claw hook. I like to drift either a minnow, worm or hellegramite as natural as possible. I dont like bobber much. If im using artificials, I'll use roostertail spinners (black always worked best me for) or small rapala crankbaits( Brown trout or gold are excellent for my area). Ive also used garlic marinated kernal corn with luck. Grasshoppers work well in summer when hooked in the collar so their still kickin when driften.

16. Mudville

Mudville New Member

I've never been a bobber type fisherman either. I always just split shot or weightem down and wait for the action. I have some small spinnerbaits, 1/8, 1/16 and I believe I even have a 1/32 :lol: . The other ones I bought just for that day are 1/8 and 1/16 made by power bait with rooster tails and have a spot for the power bait dough attractant. I'll be buying redwoms also. I may go artificials early since I know the numbers are bigger. Then live ass they dwindle down. Thanks.

17. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can use bobbers or bottom rigs with basically the same offerings - worms, paste baits, corn, cheese, minnows, or salmon eggs.

For artificials, try spinners (Panther Martins, Rooster tails or Blue Foxes), hardbaits (Rapalas, Cotton Cordell Wally divers, Pointers, etc other crank baits), or one of my favorites is a fly(nymph, wet, streamer or leech/bugger pattern) under a bubble, also a float and fly jigged by the wave action.