Trout report from Virginia

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by WHEELMOBILE07, Dec 30, 2006.

1. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Went fishing on saturday morning with my fishing buddy steve in the Smith River in Bassett, VA. Got in around 8am just as they stopped generating from Philpott Dam. Water was still rolling through there pretty good so we waited a min or two giving us enough time to put our waders on and get our tackle and bait together.

First

2. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Sorry guys hit post when i wasn't even finished. Nevertheless I Continue.

First half of the trip was slow only producing one keeper rainbow. We waded that section on the river then decided to move down stream to another section chasing the dropping water level. This was the money hole we quickly limited out with six rainbows a piece. We also caught several browns but released all of them.
    We moved to the final hole, by this time the temp had risen quite a bit. This hole was filled with knotty heads. We must have caught 10 a piece. I kept these little creatures as well for a catfish excusion that I was planning on friday to a private lake that i know. That excusion didn't go so well only hooked into one cat on friday with the cut knotty heads and it got off so i called it a day. Still had a great time on Wednesday though.

Wheelmobile07

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Are you talking male river chubs, horny head dace, sculpin???

4. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Ive always heard them called knotty heads around here but they were a type of creek chub.

Wheelmobile07

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Regional common names can be quite confusing. It would almost be nice sometimes if we could all just learn the latin for everything...lol Like freshwater drum back in Iowa are called Sheephead, bowfin are dogfish, and white bass are stripers. The I come down to NC and they are all something else....It's funny because they all seem to have a "common" common name, and a "regional" common name. Like bowfin, almost everywhere you go, people will know what a bowfin is, but if I went back to Iowa and said blackfish or mudfish, they'd look at me like I had an arm growing out of my head.

6. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    LOL, you got that right bro. There are several nicknames that vary regionally for every species of fish that I can think of.

ie. rock bass, red eyes

Wheelmobile07