Trout report from VA (1/21/07)

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by WHEELMOBILE07, Jan 23, 2007.

1. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Sunday we got to the Smith River around 0730. Weather was really nasty sleeting, raining, and flurries all day long. Temp around 30 degrees. Hit a new hole that we had to walk about 1 mile to get to the good water but man was it worth it. My second cast of the day caught the biggest trout of the day a 1.5lb Native Brook trout, the first brook of my life, he was released to see better days. Then it was on seemed like every 5th cast or so we where hooking them 12-16inch rainbows all day. We both limited out in 1hour and 45min. Since the day was so good we continued to fish and releasing every fish that we caught. After about 3 hr, went back to the truck put the fish on some ice and hit another hole where we each caught one. I was back in time to clean the fish, get cleaned up myself and see both the football games. By far the most productive day that we have ever had on the Smith River. Just thought I would share.

Wheelmobile07

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like a good day all together im planning on doing a little trout fishing of my own. Hope ya have many more good fishing trips.

3. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Thanks bro, good luck to you on your next trout excursion.

Wheelmobile07

4. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    glad you had such a good trip,Trey. We all need to have day like that.

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Headed back Friday morning to see if I can do it again, hope to have another good report for yall.

Wheelmobile07

6. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Trey, good luck on friday. I just saw that the state also stocked Pigg river in Rocky Mount, not too far from you, Last time I went there,actually the only time ive been there i caught several really nice rainbows! I think it was last time they stocked.
    Chip

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    The Pigg is a paystream, have only been there once. Don't really like it that much not natural enough for me.

Wheelmobile07

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Not the pay section. The state stocks a couple of miles of pigg river in wade park rec area in rocky mount. If you do a little walking upstyream from the parking area there are lots of nice holes and noy many people are willing to walk that much. Most fish the 3-4 holes in the park. Where is the pay section of the river? The state started stocking this section 2 years ago, I think.
    Chip

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Awesome bro, thanks for sharing the info. Lemme know when you plan on going.

Wheelmobile07

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    If my wifes not in labor, I may try to go sunday. i think i'm going to try to hit the new on sat. morning if you want to go.
    Chip

11. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Got for about an hour after work and stopped by roanoke river in salem, the section that they stock, caught 5 rainbows. All about 12 inches but were fun to catch. I probably caught the flu too with the wind and 30 degree weather, Oh well the fishing urge hit!:crazy:

12. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    thanks for sharing bro nice to know someone on here is chasing trout.

Wheelmobile07

13. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I live< so do you- near alot of good trout streams. When nothing else will bite in the middle of winter you can almost always find some trout somewhere willing to bite. I go 2-3 times a week after work. I'm heading to the New river in a few hours, I don't expect much but you never know. I'll post later if i do any good.:confused2:

14. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I was wondering what the wintertime bite is like on the new. Post a report I would like to hear what you catch.

Wheelmobile07

15. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Well i think the new is finnally toooo cold. Did not even get a hit today, Until now iv'e only been skunked one other day this winter there. I fished three areas. Ussually i have still been cathcing a few smaller chanells.

16. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    This past sunday a buddy and me decided to go trout fishing. The sate had stocked West Fork Little River in Floyd co. a few days earlier, but when we got there only 1 hole in the entire creek wasn't frozen:roll_eyes: We fished about 10 minutes and neither of our reels would cast because of the ice build up. So we decided to try out the 2 hp motor i bought last week on my 12' jon boat, we went to new river below claytor dam. motor ran great fished about 30 minutes and the pull cord broke when I went to start it:sad2: . Overall not a good day, but was fun. Hopefully weather will warm up next week and I'll try again:big_smile:

17. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    I've always wondered why there are so many trout streams feeding into the New River but you never catch any trout in the New.......at least I don't and I'm near Fries va. Any thoughts?

18. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    It may get a little bit too warm on the New in the summer for a good population of trout. But I wouldn't doubt that there are some in there just really hard to catch.

Wheelmobile07

19. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I had a friend catch a rainbow in the New below Little River about 5 years ago, but that is the only one Ive seen. I fished New river yesterday for about 2 hours and caught 1 channell 14 inches, but had several hits and had one almost pull rod in water.